PDA

View Full Version : Internal Hydraulic Steering

rtgogo
03-25-2008, 07:12 PM
My 22zx has a slow fluid leak at the sterring column. Anyone have advice on fixin this issue? I figure it's just a simple gasket, but haven't pulled the wheel to get into yet. Any input is appreciated.

On a related note...I'd like to upgrade the steering hub/column. It's a cheap lookin black plastic and I'd prefer billet or somethin more substantial. The top of my steering colum has a lil mini "filler cap" on the top side right behind the wheel. The base of the column that bolts to the dash is square. Can anyone provide some guidance on updating this hub piece? Am I going to run into issues upgrading this hub/column with the internal hydraulic steering option?

As always....Thanks!

BlownCrewCab
03-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you have a Teleflex/seastar helm pump. the filler cap you see is vented, temp change could have changed fluid levels and pushed some oil out the vent, or one of the hose connectors on the back needs to be tightened. you can buy those new/used on ebay from $50-$400 every day. if you have a 1.7ci then changing to a 2.4ci will quicken your steering a bit. they are great units and readily available, check the hose connections and vent, or maybe a cracked hose.

rtgogo
03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I checked the brass fittings up under the dash panel and they are clean, no leaks inside the dash. I'll look again, but think the fluid is comin from around the seal where the shaft enters the steering column right behind the wheel. I only noticed it becuase I saw fluid runnin down the dash panel cover and traced it back up to the round rubber type gasket. Boat is new to me, so I've been enjoying seat time too much to break it down for maintenance. I do recall some tiny holes in the filler cap, but wasn't sure what i had and didn't mess with it. I'm unclear on what the filler cap feeds as it relates to the "cracked hose" thought....what do the internals look like when i pull the black plastic cover? It has a flat manifold type gasket at the base mount on the dash, so I'm a lil hesitant to remove it to determine the source of the leak. Thanks for the advice on the steering upgrade. I've only driven her twice and had issues with her throttle my first ride (reverse failed, then neutral went next)..had to pull outdrive and replace the bracket that clips the external throttle cable in place. Made for an exciting first docking experience...my first boat....lol...she wuz itchin to leave the stable! No harm..No foul....all good now!

So what should i expect under that black steering column cover?

THANKS!

justleft
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm guessing you need to replace helm o-rings.

Helm steer kit.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/marinedirectory/TMTechCat-HydrStrg(v4_0)Parts.pdf

rtgogo
03-26-2008, 07:27 AM
That looks like it should do it. Gotta figure out which one I have, but really appreciate the info. Looks like a pretty basic fix. May post a picture this weekend and see what you guys think. Thanks!!

gcarter
03-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Livorsi offers some attractive billet hubs. Greatlakes Skipper on eBay has a few left over Livorsi quick disconnect hubs left. These are discontinued models. I had one on the Minx and have one ready to go on the TR.

rtgogo
03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Well...I got to play in the water a lil today and did one last glance to make sure my dana order is on track...oh ...is it on track :eek!:.

Investigated my steering and leak issue. I do have the Seastar 1.7 Helm Teleflex unit as i wuz told by you fine folks. What's involved with upgrading to the 2.4, benefits? The leak is definitely comin from the seal behind the wheel and looks fairly easy to fix (please tell me if I'm just being naive), looks like a problem that will require some yellow billet to properly fix.....along with the new seal...lol

Thanks for all your help!

BlownCrewCab
03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
The 1.7 is cubic inches of oil per 1 revolution. If you can figure the size of your steering cyl you can figure out the benefit of a 2.4. It may end up too fast of steering for you. try to figure out what you got, Revs Lock to lock. If it's less than 3 I'd leave it alone. Either way, if you don't want the task of rebuilding it go to ebay, theres usually both sizes on there, be patiant, I have seen NEW ones go under $100, also seen $400. Good luck..

The Hedgehog
03-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Well...I got to play in the water a lil today and did one last glance to make sure my dana order is on track...oh ...is it on track :eek!:.

Investigated my steering and leak issue. I do have the Seastar 1.7 Helm Teleflex unit as i wuz told by you fine folks. What's involved with upgrading to the 2.4, benefits? The leak is definitely comin from the seal behind the wheel and looks fairly easy to fix (please tell me if I'm just being naive), looks like a problem that will require some yellow billet to properly fix.....along with the new seal...lol

Thanks for all your help!

Other than your steering concerns, how did it run?

rtgogo
03-30-2008, 08:06 AM
SHE likes lake Martin!! Only my third time out and didn't get long because I was workin on my house, but..I'm getting a lot more comfortable in the seat. WOT in the straight aways and short bursts come easy and seems to be breathin real easy. Started playing with the outdrive tab yesterday to reduce the porposing as we skipped across the water up in the channel near Sinclairs. Still haven't touched the trim tabs, but eager to learn, just want some seat time before I go pushin all the buttons....Boat is runnin great! Seats are a lil wobbly and the stock throttle sux, workin fine after the cable fix, but not very fluid and looks like a big piece of black plastic...not sure what to do about the seats, but the throttle is in the works.....I'm very very pleased, boat is a blast, definitely a drivers ride. I got that ear to ear grin I wuz chasin!!

The Hedgehog
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
SHE likes lake Martin!! Only my third time out and didn't get long because I was workin on my house, but..I'm getting a lot more comfortable in the seat. WOT in the straight aways and short bursts come easy and seems to be breathin real easy. Started playing with the outdrive tab yesterday to reduce the porposing as we skipped across the water up in the channel near Sinclairs. Still haven't touched the trim tabs, but eager to learn, just want some seat time before I go pushin all the buttons....Boat is runnin great! Seats are a lil wobbly and the stock throttle sux, workin fine after the cable fix, but not very fluid and looks like a big piece of black plastic...not sure what to do about the seats, but the throttle is in the works.....I'm very very pleased, boat is a blast, definitely a drivers ride. I got that ear to ear grin I wuz chasin!!

That is good news. You know that the plastic POS throttle must go!

I don't really care for pedestal seats either. A number of the guys on this site have had mini bolster mounts made for their 22ZX chairs. It should not be a big deal.

I am glad that you like the your ZX.