PDA

View Full Version : speakers?

Schaf
03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I have an 04 22 classic. I would like to change out the stock speakers for speakers that have more power/sound. WOuld like anyones suggestions. I do not want to add any new holes to the ****pit just replace the current sonys. WOuld be open to replacing the head unit if I had to. If any one has ideas or suggestions please let me know. Also if anyone has photos of there new speakers or head unit please pass them along. As always I appreciate the advice. Thanks..

Tidbart
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
If you want more power, add an amp. Head units have relatively little power. Start with an amp and then see what the sound is like before you go with new speakers.

B

glashole
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree with Tidbart

you will be suprised how much better the sound will get with a proper amp. :)

the head unit tends to crap out when playing at a high volume making the speakers sound bad

Shea

Tidbart
03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Ignore the peak power ratings on everything. Look at the rms value. Your head unit probably puts out about 17 watts rms. Your speakers can probably handle about 50 watts rms. As you can see the head unit will not make the speakers 'sing'. Also, when you turn up the volume to get them to sing, you max out the head unit and this distorts the music and it sounds like hell.

You have all kinds of options when it come to amps. Assuming you have 4 speakers, you will need a 4 channel amp. Rate it at about 60 watts rms x 4. This is for starters. You can get a 6 channel amp if you want to add a subwoofer. Or you can get lots more power, say 100 watts/channel. This would help if you eventually want to upgrade you speakers in the future.

Also, check the head unit to see if it has preamp outputs. You need these to connect to the amp. They are low power outputs. You should not connect the amplified speaker outputs to an external amp.

This should be enough info to get you started in the right direction.

B

glashole
03-24-2008, 07:28 PM
the pre-amp outputs look like the RCA inputs on your Tv or VCR

same basic wires

Schaf
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok I will try adding an amp first. I currently have SOny xs-mp61 speakers. DO you think I need new speakers and if so what kind? Also what kind of amp do you recommend and what power. I do not plan on putting subs in. Also where do I connect the power for the amp? As you can tell i do not know much about car or boat audio systems. Thanks everyone.

Tidbart
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Suggestion,
get an amp rated around 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms, for example. Not the most power but should be good for a classic style boat. What kind of boat is it? Amp is not too large and not too hungry for power. Installation is fairly straight forward. Preamp outs and a signal wire from the head unit to the amp, Pos and neg power to the amp, and speaker wires out of the amp to each speaker.

If you want more power, for instance, 100w/channel x 4, it just cost more $$$.

Back to the speakers, they are only rated at 20w rms each. Now, with the 60W amp, you have the ability to smoke the speakers. You can keep them until you fry them or change them to ones that are rated at least 60w rms. I would change them so as not to damage the amp when the speakers go south.

The point I am trying to make is you should try and match the amp and speakers.

Sony makes some decent amps that aren't too expensive, try craigslist for a used one, or best buy for a new one. Maybe find a friend who know a little something about stereos, power ratings, impedences, wire sizes, etc., can't hurt.

Another point on the power to the amp, where you get power depends on where you are mounting it. If it is upfront, you may be able to get it from the fuse block. If it is in the rear, you can get it from the batteries, fuse it of course.

Hope this helps.

Bob

PS, Another thing, I keep using 'RMS' as state in an earlier post. Salesman and others will use 'peak' rating on things because most buyers will only hear the big numbers and think they are getting something greater. For instance, an head unit may have ratings 50 w peak or 17 amp rms. The 17 is the actual usable wattage but the 50 sounds so much bigger, get it.

yeller
03-26-2008, 03:28 AM
PS, Another thing, I keep using 'RMS' as state in an earlier post. Salesman and others will use 'peak' rating on things because most buyers will only hear the big numbers and think they are getting something greater.

I can't stand the way the auto stereo industry uses peak rating. 'Peak' means absolutely nothing. I've always talked power in RMS only.

twofiftyeight
03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I have an 04 22 classic. I would like to change out the stock speakers for speakers that have more power/sound. WOuld like anyones suggestions. I do not want to add any new holes to the ****pit just replace the current sonys. WOuld be open to replacing the head unit if I had to. If any one has ideas or suggestions please let me know. Also if anyone has photos of there new speakers or head unit please pass them along. As always I appreciate the advice. Thanks..

Hands down the best head unit in the marine industry right now is the Clarion CMD5...In terms of speakers, the marine line from JL audio...the 7.7inch M770-TCS speakers are simply amazing...the sound quality is like nothing i've ever heard from "marine" speakers and even most car stuff...Paired with a JL marine amp...i can assure you that u'll have one of the best sounding boats on the lake...This stuff is a bit pricey compared to sony and pioneer stuff but its well worth it..

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/xiduse42/marine_010.jpghttp://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/xiduse42/H2O_CSCX_HP_MI.jpghttp://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/xiduse42/7461.jpg

glashole
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
not that it is a big deal but you would have to cut the existing holes larger for those speakers and that head unit

nothing a jig saw won't fix :)

DickB
03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Another thing about your speakers is that they are dual cone. This means that each speaker has only one motor (voice coil) but two cones, one for highs and one for lows. Sound quality will be limited with these. For better sound quality, a two-way coaxial speaker will fit in the same space but sound much better. This type of speaker has completely separate drivers for lows and highs. You can try just an amp, but personally I’d recommend both amp and speakers, because you said you were looking for more power and sound.

There are many speaker choices. I’m using four 6½” Infinity Kappa speakers in my 18, but no amp yet, as the sound power is fine for me so far.

mjw930
03-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Ok I will try adding an amp first. I currently have SOny xs-mp61 speakers. DO you think I need new speakers and if so what kind? Also what kind of amp do you recommend and what power. I do not plan on putting subs in. Also where do I connect the power for the amp? As you can tell i do not know much about car or boat audio systems. Thanks everyone.

I just finished putting 4 Sony XS-MP1620 (their current model) coax speakers in my 22 behind a Sony CDX-GT10M head unit (last year's model), all bought on ebay for about $.60 on the dollar compared to local retail and I'm happy with the sound. The total cost was $250 for the head unit and 4 speakers. I think it's a lot of boom for the buck ;) It could use an amp but that will come later.

I suggest you consider getting a set of good coaxial speakers and a mid size amp. Just putting an amp behind those dual cone speakers would be a waste IMHO but you could do it in stages. Do the amp, see what it sounds like then upgrade the speakers down the road.

mjw930
03-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey, wait a minute. I caught a lot of grief not too long ago about putting a radio cutout in my new dash. Now I see that a few of the same people are really closet stereo fans :smash:

I thought the engine was all the music a Donzi owner needed ;) ;) ;)

mikev
03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
I put sony Xplode speakers and amp in mine a couple of years ago and there still going strong. The poly cones take water well and for the price (I spent less than $250.00 for 500 watt amp and 4 speakers at walmart) I am very happy. Also if something gets ruined im not out much but i am pleasantly suprised at the durability for the price.

wannabe
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
The amp should be mounted as close to the power source(battery) as possible. Your big challenge will be keeping noise radiated from the engine going through your speakers. Buy the good heavy power wire and good quality RCA cables. Good luck

Schaf
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
ok thanks for all the info. Still debating between what speakers. polk has some good ones and they come in that grey stainless look. matches my dials. Still considering jl also. Question requarding the amp. If I hook it up closer to the power source how do i connect it? I have dual batteries. Idon't want to hook it up directly to one battery. Thanks for eveyones assistance.

Tidbart
04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Question requarding the amp. If I hook it up closer to the power source how do i connect it? I have dual batteries. Idon't want to hook it up directly to one battery. Thanks for eveyones assistance.

You would have to hook the amp up to the common (output) of your battery switch.

Schaf
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
how hard is it hook it up to the battery switch? DO you think I should mount the amp in the engine compartment or up by the radio? If up by the radio does it still need to be hooked up to the battery switch? If not where can I hook it to power.

yeller
04-02-2008, 02:55 AM
how hard is it hook it up to the battery switch? DO you think I should mount the amp in the engine compartment or up by the radio? If up by the radio does it still need to be hooked up to the battery switch? If not where can I hook it to power.

Schaf, I mean no disrespect, but I used to install for a living and based on your questions, you may want to consider getting the system professionally installed.

Tidbart
04-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Schaf, I mean no disrespect, but I used to install for a living and based on your questions, you may want to consider getting the system professionally installed.

Good point!

As far as the battery switch goes, I assumed you had one already because you stated you had dual batteries. I hope they are not permanently paralleled.

"how hard is it hook it up to the battery switch? DO you think I should mount the amp in the engine compartment or up by the radio? If up by the radio does it still need to be hooked up to the battery switch? If not where can I hook it to power."

I previously posted this info: "Another point on the power to the amp, where you get power depends on where you are mounting it. If it is upfront, you may be able to get it from the fuse block. If it is in the rear, you can get it from the batteries, fuse it of course."

Getting back to Yeller's point, there are many things to consider, power, power consumption, power ratings, current flow, voltage drop, proper wiring, proper connections, proper connectors, etc,etc. At the very least, just go to a local place you will purchase this stuff from and speak to a pro. I am sure they can give you some good advice and/or and estimate. I am sure your install should only take a couple of hours since the there is an existing stereo there already. Could be money well spent.

Bob

zimm17
04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I highly recommend JL audio stuff. I think it's the best there is. You will have to make your speaker holes bigger and they are expensive.

I have Clarion marine 6.5" speakers, no amp, alpine head unit (non-marine) which I think is 13 watts RMS, and bazooka marine sub. The alpine allows me to have XM radio so no more bringing CD's, ipods, or listening to commercials. It sounds okay for a budget system, but I don't listen to it underway.

Alpine has a new marine audio line that looks good too. If I was starting over, I'd go with their head unit, and JL amp, JL speakers, and sub. Their headunit is 18 watts RMS x 4, I'd argue you really don' t and amp unless you trying to have a beach party and really blast tunes. Get a flip down stereo cover to keep it from getting wet.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/series-c.php?category=MAR_SYS_SOL

Schaf
04-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Any other suggestions?

Schaf
04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
As confused as I have become deciding what route to take for speakers and an amp i was once again thrown for a curve ball ... Ok I was talking to a guy this weekend about my options and he said if I run 4 speakers off 1 amp I should have 4 pre amp rca outputs from my head unit. The sony cdx-2000 that I currently have only has 2 outputs. What is your opinion on that? Thanks for your opinion.

wannabe
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Fading the speakers front to back would be a problem with only two preamp jacks from the head unit. If that is not a problem for you then a splitter (Y) can be used. Is it getting more trouble than it is worth?

Schaf
04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
There are just so many options..

yeller
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
As wannabe says you can use a 'Y' splitter. I've done that in the past. You'll just have to run the speakers in pairs and use the balance control for side to side control or front to back.

Schaf
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Now looking closer at the jl speakers I would have to open the speaker hole a little more. It calls for 5.25" and now the holes are cut 5". If I need to do that should I not even mees with the jl m650's and go up to the m770 jls. I didnt want to cut but the the jls reall sound good. Too many options..