PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting fuel this season.

fasttrucker
03-23-2008, 01:23 PM
I was wondering about my 6 month boating season.Here goes:
6 months time 4 weekend=24 weekends
sat+sun=2days
24x2=48 days
35gal min per day
35x48=1680 gals of fuel
1680 x $4.00 per gal=$6720

$6720.00 per year fuel for my donzi.

BUIZILLA
03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
how much does your truck use?? :hangum:

roadtrip se
03-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm taking up golf.

TXDONZI
03-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I am thinking I will just have to use the Harley and the Seadoo more often than I had planned this year. Then there is mowing 2 acres. Well I dont think I can put that off to once a month and call it weekend motor sporting....LOL

Yeah I took the boat out last weekend and burned nearly $75 in fuel. The wife took her Seadoo out yesterday for about the same amount of time or longer and burned like $35 worth. She did a lot more running than we did in the boat the weekend before.

fasttrucker
03-23-2008, 02:50 PM
how much does your truck use?? :hangum:
You know I thought about this too.I get 6-7mpg I pump 300 to 350 +/- per week.Iam really lucky as my new contract I pay 1.249 per gal:yes:Iam used to filling up large fuel tanks I have twin 150 gal tanks.Iam worried about $$$. and work 70hrs per week.Iam thinking about selling my donzi and buying a 24 checkmate pulsare with a 300hp outboard 5mpg.runs 72-75mph.That,s getting 5 times the fuel miles per gal.

Ed Donnelly
03-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I guess I am one of the lucky few.
I get a truck allowance...so 50 gal a week goes to the Donzi and I use the Harley for work..
Monday the helper drops off the tools..
Friday the helper picks up the tools...Ed

Only 4 months of the year though

BlownCrewCab
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I was wondering about my 6 month boating season.Here goes:
6 months time 4 weekend=24 weekends
sat+sun=2days
24x2=48 days
35gal min per day
35x48=1680 gals of fuel
1680 x $4.00 per gal=$6720

$6720.00 per year fuel for my donzi.

Your going to have to add another 1/3 cause theres 4.3 weeks per month average. so now you get to boat even less thanks to the rag masters (Sheet heads)

mjw930
03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I calculate it a different way. I assume an average of 10 GPH and we tend to do about 75 hours / year. (we have other things we do, boating is just one leisure activity).

That equates to ~750 gallons @ 3.50 = ~$2625 / 12 = ~$218 / month. We save more than that in storage since we built the new place with room to store the boat.

Do you really put over 168 hrs / year on your boat in 6 months? I feel like a slacker :propeller:

Morgan's Cloud
03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
:rolleyes: Haven't you learned yet ? ?
If you own a boat , you're not supposed to even remotely complain about or discuss the cost of fuel :doh:
Don't worry , you're still a long way from $6.79 a gal.

Rootsy
03-24-2008, 08:29 AM
I am thinking I will just have to use the Harley and the Seadoo more often than I had planned this year. Then there is mowing 2 acres. Well I dont think I can put that off to once a month and call it weekend motor sporting....LOL

Yeah I took the boat out last weekend and burned nearly $75 in fuel. The wife took her Seadoo out yesterday for about the same amount of time or longer and burned like $35 worth. She did a lot more running than we did in the boat the weekend before.

My answer to mowing entirely too much grass.... We'll grow sweet corn and pumpkins instead :D

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/Picture049.jpg

glashole
03-24-2008, 08:53 AM
when I was filling the boat up at the last AOTH I put about $150 worth of gas into it on saturday morning just from running on friday

The gas attendant commented on the amount of gas the boat had taken and was slightliy shocked that it was from just one day

I explained to him that I was hoping that I would be putting at least that into it the next morning :)

Shea

roadtrip se
03-24-2008, 10:39 AM
when I was filling the boat up at the last AOTH I put about $150 worth of gas into it on saturday morning just from running on friday
The gas attendant commented on the amount of gas the boat had taken and was slightliy shocked that it was from just one day
I explained to him that I was hoping that I would be putting at least that into it the next morning :)
Shea

We did the same thing at Lake George. Kept having to bump Haver out of the way, because he is a gas dock space hog.

What always has me scratching my head at the rallies are those folks that pull their boats and tow them up to the land station. What about all of the fuel you just ran through the tow vehicle pulling it up the hill, not to mention the sweat factor, to save a couple of bucks?

Don't get me wrong, nobody in their right mind likes paying higher prices for fuel, but it is NOT going to get in the way of my running the boat, so why whine about it?

My golf swing sucks any way!

MOP
03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
We just can not worry about this stuff, never know what may happen tomorrow so go for it today! The tow fuel comment was not lost on me, I will probably burn more towing to & from 1K then playing while I am up there but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be there and I am a lot poorer then the majority up here!

Phil

Ed Donnelly
03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Mop; Now wouldn't that be a thread to see

Who is the poorest rather than I own this and this and this.

:propeller::propeller: .......Ed

mjw930
03-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I've gone to a prepaid gas card this year..
It's directly connected to my checking account, so when I am out of money, it stops working..
The checking account is connected to my home equity line..
Gonna be a fun summer :) :)

So basically you've taken out a second to buy gas for the boat. Now that's a man with his priorities in order :D

f_inscreenname
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
So I guess you all are saying that it’s not a good idea to be going with bigger heads and cam this spring? http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/doh.gif (javascript:void(0);)

Looks like my bank account is going to take a beating.http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/beat_up.gif (javascript:void(0);)

It will be fun passing them http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/wave.gif (javascript:void(0);) until I run out of gas.http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/help.gif (javascript:void(0);)

Tony
03-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Now, that right there is a good post. :cool:

I admit I'm guilty of gassing up on land. I'm efficient at launch/retrieve, and don't mind a short drive for a $20-$30 savings.

I kind of try to watch the little stuff...since my discretionary income/retirement accounts are likely less ample than many who frequent here. It's also why I'm thinking of dumping my 2500HD Duramax/Allison truck...since there is currently a $1.00/gal. difference between diesel and unleaded.

I think in general the public sector is known for low to modest salaries, a fair pension, and good health benefits. The private sector has opportunity for bigger money, but with more volatility, job uncertainty, and individual pension/health responsibilities.

:beer:

Barry Eller
03-26-2008, 06:22 AM

I just sold my Mustang GT convertible, so I would have gas money!:convertib::bonk:

I fill up at the cheapest stations I can find. I am also thinking about retarding my ignition timing to run 87 octane. Up to $.40 a gallon less than Premium in my area.

When my boat is hanging in my neighbors boat house, I fill some of the many 5 gal gas cans (Hurricane gas reserves for the generators) and tote them to the boat as needed. This prevents me from having to buy gas at the marinas, where gas is much higher.

I plan on taking shorter runs this year, finding a nice beach spot, and just enjoying a little fun in the Florida sun, with my beach umbrella and my Bimini top. That reminds me, I need to go to my doctor to have some more sunspots burned off!:smash: Denise buys sunscreen by the gallon, which costs more per gallon than gasoline!

steven s
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
If you think around $3 is high for a gallon of gas. Last summer when we were in the Bahmahs it was around $5 to %5.50. And I have a 100 gallon tank. An two 250 yamaha's. I burn 22 gallons an hour at around 47 mph.An we ran about 600 miles in 7 days. You get real good at calling the credit card company's fraud protection to turn the card back on.

The Hedgehog
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Makes me glad I did not get that big Cig I was considering:eek!:

Not that my 26ZX won't be a fossil fuel loving machine. I guess that I will just go to the gas dock and close my eyes this year!:hangum:

BUIZILLA
03-28-2008, 05:34 PM
hog, how much is fuel at Sligo?

gcarter
03-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Well,
I guess I'm glad I'm rebuilding the TR this year.......
I'm not burning any gas so I'm not spending any money at the station or gas dock.
But for every dollar I do spend (on the TR) will have a very positive impact on the project. It still won't be cheap, but it'll be very gratifying.:yes: