PDA

View Full Version : Calling Buiz, or someone who can help....

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Jim, or anyone else who can help, ran into a problem on the Bronco engine and was wondering if you can help me out. The water pump the Ford Racing 351 had the inlet on the right lower side (looking at the engine). The original Bronco's was on the left lower. I had to change it because wanted to keep the same cooling setup and my March Billet Dress kit wouldn't fit that pump. Found one that I needed, but now running into another problem. The inlet is hitting the timing bracket on the balancer. I notched it and cut the bolt of with a cutting wheel, but the tolerance is real close. The hose will rub the bracket. I can't trim anymore or the structural integrity of the bracket will be compromised. Plus, it is so tight, not sure I can get a light in there to time it when done. I know where I am at will probably work. I also am not happy with it. I am sure that you have worked on something that you know will probably work, but you were simply not happy with.

I thought of a solution, but want to know if it will work. Since you helped me with the timing on the Donzi, thought you might shed some insight into what I am thinking. I could fabricate a bracket to mount on the right side of the engine, where there is plenty of room and no obstructions. I would think this crate motor is already at 0 tdc. I have not moved the crank or distributer since taking delivery. So, if I mount the bracket on the right and use a paint marker to mark the balancer, would I be able to time it from the right side with this setup?

Thanks.

BUIZILLA
03-23-2008, 07:35 AM
John, i'm not a small block Ford guy.... at all

sorry I couldn't help

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 07:45 AM
The same idea would apply to a Chevy. Just wondering if you moved the timing bracket on any engine to the other side and marked the balancer, would you be able to time it? My thinking is that it is still 0 D TDC, and you hsould be able to, even on the other side as long as it is marked. I would think it would work on a 350 as well.

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Decided to post some pics of what I am talking about-

First Pic- Water pump off, you can see the notches I cut in the timing bracket.

Second Pic- Water pump on- you can see how tight the tolerances are.

Third pic- pump on, right side has plenty of room for another bracket.

Fourth pic, just the engine, looks pretty good, can't wait to get the billet dress kit on.

mjw930
03-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Set the motor at TDC (use the old mark as well as the #1 cylinder) and mount a pointer on the other side. Use timing tape on the balancer and you shouldn't have any issues. As long as you have the baseline of 0 degrees you can put the timing marks anywhere. Just make sure to get the right tape for your diameter balancer.

Timing tapes: http://www.jegs.com/p/MSD/752102/10002/-1
Timing pointers: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=0&Ntt=ford+timing+pointer&Ntk=all&Nty=1&D=ford+timing+pointer&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallany&Dx=mode%2Bmatchallany&searchTerm=ford+timing+pointer