PDA

View Full Version : Foot pain....

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Last week woke up with severe foot pain on the top of my left foot. Went to the doctor on Wednesday and had x-rays. Showed no fractures or anything. Damn thing hurts like hell. Problem is, I am leaving Thurs for the Bahamas and will be walking on flats everyday for 2 1/2 weeks. Wonder if anyone has ever had this and can tell me what is wrong with the damn thing. Ready to cut it off, get a pole and just call me stumpy.

Looked online and found gout. It says that hypertension and rich diet can be a factor. I have been more stressed in the last month than ever in my life and like to eat rich foods, but find it hard to believe I have the gout. I get a good bit of exercise. Says Uric acid not being cleaned by the kidneys is the cause. Just doesn't feel like "gout". No swelling or redness either.

My staff finds it amusing and is singing "he's got the gout, he's got the gout". Tough crowd at Alltrans, Inc.!

Cuda
03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I had a friend who had gout. He told me that drinking cherry juice would make it go away. I'm sure his was from eating too many rich foods, he was a BIG guy.
Best of luck.
Joe

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Going to get me some Cherry juice.:wink::crossfing:

RedDog
03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
go to your doctor or walk-in clinic before you leave. Get prescrips for a dose-pack of Prednisone (steroid) and Celebrex or prescrip strengh Aleve (the med name for Aleve has slipped my mine).

It has hit me about once a year for the past few years

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 01:19 PM
My doctor and I talked about a Prednisone pack. We decided to wait until after the weekend. Reason, kinda personal, but let's just say Boo Boo and I are working on the family addition right now. The doctor felt that if I started it now, could have a negative effect on the process.

MOP
03-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Sounds like what I have been going through for quite some time, Doc could not find anything! A friend suggested a potassium problem, I asked the Doc he said it was possible. He told me to either take off the counter pills or even better was dried apricots which contain triple the amount of potassium of bananas which work for mild cases. I eat 3-4 every day, I now no longer get the foot cramps and have to jump out of bed screaming with the legs cramps. It can not hurt to try them in your situation, the effects are in a couple of days and do not return unless you cut down on the potassium.

Phil

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the advice MOP. Getting my grocery list together, cherry juice, apricots, any other suggestions? I am willing to try anything, except maybe liver-yuck!

Man, after this regiment of cherry juice and apricots, I am really gonna need to poop!:wink:

Cuda
03-22-2008, 03:40 PM
go to your doctor or walk-in clinic before you leave. Get prescrips for a dose-pack of Prednisone (steroid) and Celebrex or prescrip strengh Aleve (the med name for Aleve has slipped my mine).
It has hit me about once a year for the past few years
My doctor told me that three doses of Aleve, are the same as a dose of the prescription pain killer Naproxen.

Ed Donnelly
03-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Go to any drug store or health food store and pick up
Ecanasia tablets..

Thank me after your holidays...

Please stay away from Prednisone. It supresses your immune system(not good if out of the country) You retain water BIG TIME.
A change in personality is not what you need on your holiday

How do I know the above??
1st time 5 decreasing to 0
2nd 10 " " 0
3rd 20 " " 0

That is a total of 225 pills.........................Ed

BUIZILLA
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Celebrex that'll bring copulation to a screaming halt... :propeller:

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I've tried the Prednisone before. I had back surgery on L-4 L-5 in 1990, never been right. Have herniation in that disk and L-5 S-1. It didn't really affect me very much as far as side effects, but I know people who have flipped out while on one. Did the 6 the first day, 5, 4, etc... My back is an ongoing battle.......was in the Hospital in Nov for it.

I have tried Celebrex before as well. Did nothing, but that was for my back, not foot. I have some, but probably won't try it. If I start a Prednisone pack tommorrow, I will be done with it on the day I leave.

Today was the last day of trying for the addition to the family. Will know if successful in a few weeks.

RedDog
03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
that'll bring copulation to a screaming halt... :propeller:

hummm - I didn't know that. I was on biz travel by myself when I took it so the opportunity didn't present itself.

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I see our family planning is not safe from Donzi.net:eek!:

Thanks for helping out John. he really has been in pain and limping for the last week. We are both kinda worried about our trip.

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
He went to the grocery store to get cherry juice and apricots. I thought he was crazy till I read this.

He hasn't been able to do much with his foot hurting, and I know he has been chatting more than usual on here. It is because he can't work on his bronco or do much of anything. I think he is bored. :smash:

Ed Donnelly
03-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Today was the last day of trying???

Good,stop trying. It just gets everyone all stressed

My 4th marriage was made in heaven I was going to retire in 5 yrs and she was a career woman just starting a career
(Yeh I'm a cradle robber)

Last thing we wanted was kids

I'm 63 and will retire when Shannon graduates high school.
I will be 70.
Shannon is 11
Andrew is 14
Patrick is 16 ......................Ed

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I think I said that wrong. Today was the last day this month. It has been, how do I say this, tough on us. We have been trying for a while. I will let John fill you in if you are interested.

I can say it has been a hard few months in general. I read the thread about the business he posted. What John said about selling his business was true and we both think it is the right decision. I know he has many freinds here and thanks for supporting him. I think it was the hardest decision he has ever made. I think he occasionally second guesses our decision, but he never says anything. We are building a ranch, moving, and other things.

Since making our decision, he has been in a much better mood. I just wish his foot felt better. he gets moody if he can not snowmobile or work on his Bronco.

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I just realize I kept saying his decision and our decision. I met John 6 years after he bought alltrans. Although he told me it was our decision, I really wanted it to be his. He started the company and made it successful. He always tells me he couldn't have done it without me though. He's such a sweet guy!

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 04:50 PM
By the way, are there any other women on here? I know Patti, but that is it.

boxy
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
John, have you switched boots lately. I bought a pair of Blundstone's and they are absolutely comfortable for about 30 minutes, then I have excrutiating pain on the top of my foot.
The boot just won't stretch out.
It sounds more like blood flow, or tendon rather that gout.
Do you have a physical therapist that you use?

Cuda
03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
By the way, are there any other women on here? I know Patti, but that is it.
About half the posts you read under Catch 22, are from his wife, Gina. She's cool as hell, and loves to have fun. :)

CHACHI
03-22-2008, 05:41 PM
John, if the top of your foot is not inflammed (hot to the touch),red and swollen, I don't think it's gout. As a place in the body to have an attack gout likes to land in a joint and perhaps the big toe. When it does land in the toe, a bed sheet laying on it is probabaly the painfull thing a male could imagine. I have heard stories of people sleeping with their foot in a box so there is no contact with the sheet, it's just too heavy.
When it lands in a "hot" joint, knee, ankle, etc, it feels like a drywall screw (course thread) is being driven into the joint and don't even think of trying to bend what the joint is suppose to bend.
For me Vioxx, yes that bad stuff works wonders, 2 pills on the onset and in 24 hours I am usually walking again.
My stash is almost gone, 2yrs old now but it still works well. When I am not around Vioxx, Aleve(I double the dose) works ok. I have also heard of the cherry juice therapy but I never remember to purchased it or tell my bride to.
I have also been told that soda, non-diet can also trigger an attack. My Dr. has told me only to stay away from alcohol as acording to him this is the biggest cause of most gout attacks. FWIW I quit drinking, but still have attacks on occasion. I truely believe my last attack (in Daytona) was from drinking to much soda.
I eat basically anything I want/like.
Just my 2 cents.

Ken

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Boxy, Steve, Right? John has had the same winter boots for 2 years and I haven't seen him wearing any new ones but I will ask him. He is on the couch drinking cherry juice and eating apricots! I don't think he likes apricots though.

Cuda, who I know is joe, will look out for Catch 22. Thanks. I am sure this is more of a boys club.

Boo Boo
03-22-2008, 05:47 PM
thanks ken, i will tell John. Congratulations on being engaged!

DonziJon
03-22-2008, 07:14 PM
My doctor told me that three doses of Aleve, are the same as a dose of the prescription pain killer Naproxen.

ALEVE is 220 Mg of "Naproxin Sodium". (Over the counter) You can take up to 1100Mg of Naproxin Sodium per day....every day. IF you exceed that you may have to have periodic blood tests.

A number of years ago I had a BIG Knee problem which went on for about 18 months and reduced me to walking with crutches. I had had a knee opp 15 years before and figured my knee was calcifying.

My Doc (internist) "prescribed" 500Mg Naproxin Sodium twice a day. After 3days things were getting SO MUCH better. I called the Doc to see if he could prescribe a lesser dose for the remaining few days of the original treatment..He recomended ALEVE: He said it was the same thing.....in a lesser dose. I followed his advice. That was 13 years ago. My original knee is still intact and working fine.

The bottom line: Aleve is a "ANTI INFLAMITORY". Eliminate the "Inflamation" and the pain will go away.

DonziJon
03-22-2008, 07:26 PM
thanks ken, i will tell John. Congratulations on being engaged!

WHAT? Ken is engaged?? Did I miss something??? :nilly:

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I just read the post and it does say "or tell my bride to".

Going to try the Sodium Naproxene.

CHACHI
03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
.............been my bride for 21 glorious years.

Ken

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 07:33 AM
My foot is much better this morning. Not sure if it was the Sodium Naproxene, chery juice or apricots, but it is 70% better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ken, congrats 21 years late!:wink: Boo Boo saw bride and thought you were engaged, she is kinda embarresed now.

Now, after all those apricots, I think I will poop!

tmdog
03-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Have you been climbing a ladder recently?? This is not a joke.

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 07:52 AM
No ladder, no new foot ware. Can't really remember doing anything to it. Woke up one day and it hurt. Still hurts a little, but much better.

MOP
03-23-2008, 08:11 AM
A concoction to alleviate your pain, problem is we will never know what did what!

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Maybe snomobiling. I spend most of my day standing on my running boards and jumping from one side to the other. BUT, I wear a steel toed, steel shank boot rated to -70 that gives amazing support and no give. If I hurt it this way, it would probably be on the bottom of my foot, not the top.

I do remember something today. When I woke up and it was hurting, I now kinda remember kicking the top of it in my sleep with the heel of my other foot. Not sure why, I hate spiders and maybe thought there was one on my foot. I have woken up before freaking a little thinking there was one on me. I know, it is silly. Don't mind any other insect or snake, just don't like spiders. Boo Boo thinks it is a funny phobia. Not sure if it was just a dream, but I do remember something. I would have had to kick the living crap out of it though to make it hurt as bad as it did.

The Hedgehog
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
You may have had a round of gout. It can hit you internally somewhat and you won't get the tyipical external redness and swelling. I had that hit my in the knee so hard I ended up in the ER. No redness or heat but the pain.... terrible. Doc said my uratic acid levels were high so that was probably the source of my pain.

I have had a few bouts of typical gout. I may go a year without it and then bam, it hits me.

Donziweasel
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I hope it wasn't gout. Whatever it was, I am glad I am on the backside of it.

If your foot hurts, I highly recommend a strong diet of cherry juice, apricots and sodium naproxen. Just make sure you have plenty of TP.:wink::smash::doh:

boxy
03-23-2008, 02:09 PM
With all the activity at home, it wasn't a misplaced/misstepped high heel was it ????? :smash:

BooBoo I apologize for that...... :D :D

DonziJon
03-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I hope it wasn't gout. Whatever it was, I am glad I am on the backside of it.
If your foot hurts, I highly recommend a strong diet of cherry juice, apricots and sodium naproxen. Just make sure you have plenty of TP.:wink::smash::doh:

Maybe it was a Spider bite. :doh: They like to scout around after dark.

Boo Boo
03-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Steve, that is hilarious!LOL John will tell you I never really wear heels! Not the Jackson look.LOL The jackson look is more sandals! I would have a hard time hurting on of Johns feet with them. He has feet that are tough as nails! I always get blisters hiking and stuff but John can go for days without even a rub.

gcarter
03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I've had gout problems on and off for twenty years.
As someone mentioned, exess uric acid in the form of microscopic needles settles into the soft tissue of joints, usually a foot as gravity will carry it to the lower extremeties.
There are a number of foods to avoid at all costs if it is gout. As Ken mentioned, alcohol, but specifically beer and red wine.
The other big things are any shell fish and any beans that have been dried (almost the entire US market). Also any animal internals, like liver is loaded w/purines (see below). Maybe eat beef once a week. Then there are a few veggies, like asparagus and spinach.
There are some prescription meds like allupurinal which you take daily for the rest of your life, if you can't control your diet, help but don't cure the problem.
Any pain meds will only dull the ache but not remove the problem....remember the needles?
Any foods with high purines...see list above....turn to uric acid in your system. Anything that is processed by drying, brewing, fermenting, including brewers yeast, will be high in purines.
If you start today and eliminate all these foods, and it is gout, you will see a marked improvement in about three days. The juice and fruit only helps your body deal with the problem that exists. If you cut out all foods high in purines, you'll never have the problem again.

RedDog
03-24-2008, 07:04 AM
my doctor explained that while the pain from gout is excruciating, the real concern from repeated bouts is the potential kidney failure from the crystallized uric acid