PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing webpages

yeller
03-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Anyone have an idea why some webpages disappear (or partially disappear) on me? An example is Ebay. I'll do a search and the info will come up for about 1 sec and then the page goes blank. I'm using XP pro w/IE6 and running Avast antivirus. Avast has never given me problems in the past, so I don't think that's the problem.

I've done internet searches on the subject, but haven't found a solution yet.

justleft
03-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I would first run a good malware detector. I like Adware Away.

Then post the issue on the Avast forum. But you will have
to register.

good luck

yeller
03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I've run Ad-Aware but it doesn't solve the problem.
I really don't think it's Avast, because I've been running it for a couple years with no problem.
The problems seem to have started since I had to re-install XP.

Forrest
03-23-2008, 08:32 PM
For sure check for malware. Avast v4.7 is a great AV program, but something could have slipped by. Try a couple of different anti-malware programs such as the one mentioned above as well as Spybot S&D or Adaware free version.

Also, you may want to see if the same thing happens when you use the Firefox or Opera browsers as well. You could have a bad install of IE6. Also, if you have a number of browser helper objects loaded, you may want to clear those out as well. Another thing you could try is a "clean boot" to see if something that is loading up at startup is messing your IE6 up.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Once you get it all figured out, I would recommend a very good firewall program such as Comodo Firewall Pro v3. It's totally free for the desktop and it's much better than most anything that you can buy.

http://www.comodo.com

yeller
03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
I guess I'll have to try a couple more anti-malware programs. I couldn't find a copy of IE6 to reinstall, so I installed IE7 and problem is still there.

I did get a virus a while back that loaded when my son opened an .exe file. Couldn't get rid of it with Avast. Finally found a dedicated program that removed it. It may have left something behind though.

Almost all sites ok. The only two that are consistant are ebay motors and google maps. Not sure what's different about those 2 that causes problems.

Trueser
03-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Most internet providers will give you virus and firewall for free, I would also try SpyBot. This program still is free and works great.

If you go to tools/windows update is everything up to date?

Mike

harbormaster
03-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I have started using superantispyware because it seems to find the most stuff.