PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Fountain purchases Baja Marine today!

LKSD
03-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Supposedly now official, Reggie Fountain now owns Baja. Pretty wild! I have heard some rumors as to this for a little while now & I guess it has gone thru.. Supposedly on Reggies own dime too!

From what I hear this is what the current plan is:

Supposedly they are closing the Baja plant down and moving to North Carolina.

It has been said that Reggie is only interested in building a small number of the boats that Baja used to offer and all the small boats will no longer be offered.

Donziweasel
03-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I wonder if it had anything to do with the fall out from the accident on Powell last year. That was a Baja that hit the wake, broke in half, and killed someone. I think the official cause was a design defect coupled with aggresive operation. I am sure the lawsuits flew after that one.

BlownCrewCab
03-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Brunswick Announces Sale of Baja Marine Assets to Fountain Powerboats

LAKE FOREST, Ill., March 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- BrunswickCorporation (NYSE: BC (http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/prnews?Page=Quote&Ticker=BC)) today announced the signing of a letter of intent tosell certain assets relating to its Baja boat business to FountainPowerboat Industries, Inc., of Washington, N.C. Terms of the agreement werenot disclosed, and completion of the sale is subject to certain conditions.In preparation for the transition, Brunswick plans to end production ofBaja boats in Bucyrus, Ohio, by the end of May, consistent with the end ofthe 2008 model year. As a result of these actions, the company said itestimates that asset write-downs, along with severance and other costsassociated with the plant closure, could total between $10 million to $15million, pre-tax. "This was a strategic decision to further refine our product portfolioand best focus our resources on brands and marine segments that we believeare core to our success going forward," said Brunswick Chairman and ChiefExecutive Officer Dustan E. McCoy. "This action in no way reflects uponBaja or the abilities and performance of the Bucyrus work force. Webelieve, however, that Baja and its dealers will ultimately benefit frombeing a part of Fountain Powerboats, a company that, like Baja, is a leaderin high-performance boats." When completed, the closing of the Baja plant will mean a loss ofapproximately 285 positions. Baja leadership will be working diligently totransfer as many employees as possible and practical to either Fountain orother Brunswick manufacturing facilities. For those employees who do nothave the opportunity or do not wish to transfer, severance will beprovided.

Carl C
03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Is it true that all Baja owners will be getting a beak kit?:blub:

RedDog
03-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Is it true that all Baja owners will be getting a beak kit?:blub:

now that's funny.............

chappy
03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
The $$$ just went from one pocket to the other :) :)
Just might be a tax break in there as well.:sombrero:

BUIZILLA
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
FAJA

the latest Iraq Patrol Boat

Dr. Dan
03-20-2008, 09:23 PM
FAJA
the latest Iraq Patrol Boat

Now That thar is some funny sh*t I don't care who ya are? :thumbsup:

I agree with the Canine Shaggy Dude.... when a company goes to their name on the boat followed by their largest Creditors Name... its a little telling?

But what do I know.... I hope what ever happens it makes both Boats better and continues their mutual namesakes...:salute:

Time will tell...

Doc of Consolidated Efficiencies :smash:

BlownCrewCab
03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
FAJA

Thats Friggin funny:smash:

gold-n-rod
03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
FAJA
Thats Friggin funny:smash:
Word on the street is that production is being moved to Mexico and the new line will be called:

scroll down

keep scrolling

keep on keeping on

Fajita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

CHACHI
03-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Randy, didn't you read Jamie's post...........the small boats will be discontinued.

Ken

BUIZILLA
03-21-2008, 07:04 AM
welp, I see a couple people on some other boards have picked up on my FAJA naming...

:wink:

I should have trademarked the name before posting..

mjw930
03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Err, no mention of how much of fountain Brunswick owns ehhhh???

The $$$ just went from one pocket to the other :) :)

I think Poodle nailed it. Brunswick was a 100% owner of Baja and a major stock holder in Fountain. Brunswick probably decided it was in their best interest to consolidate high performance (if you want to call Baja high performance) production under one brand and one facility. With the announcement of the discontinuation of the small boats it basically says Baja is no more and Fountain is the performance line withing Brunswick corp.

Personally, I wouldn't own either one of them. One is under built, under performs and has no resale. The other has spotty build quality, has released (then redesigned) unsafe hull designs and is grossly over priced.

Marlin275
03-21-2008, 10:27 AM
The other has spotty build quality, has released (then redesigned) unsafe hull designs and is grossly over priced.

And they are strange
with that non functioning beak
that makes them longer boats
with no usable space for the difference!

roadtrip se
03-21-2008, 10:55 AM
doesn't say anything about reducing the types of Baja's to be
built by the new "FAJA" company or how the transaction is being financed, other than the severance and wind down costs in Ohio.

If you look at what has been going on with what little "public" financial information is available on Fountain Powerboats, Reggie supposedly paid off Brunswick a while back, but I believe they still hold the option to buy him out.
Doesn't really matter, because I am sure the biggest AP check that goes out every month from North Carolina is to Brunswick for blue motors and I bet that aged receivables chart is not pretty.

Looks like a pretty good financial move to me. The Fountain plant is a more advanced facility than Baja and has current capacity and room to expand. Say what you want about Fountain, they should be able to build a better product than Baja did.

I do feel for the people in Ohio that will lose their jobs.

gcarter
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Did anyone mention or know if N.C. is a "Right to Work" state?
If it is then it only makes sense to move to an already developed facility where another layer of labor costs and in a sense, regulation, is removed.

VetteLT193
03-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Personally, I wouldn't own either one of them. One is under built, under performs and has no resale. The other has spotty build quality, has released (then redesigned) unsafe hull designs and is grossly over priced.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

I can't find any 'cheap' Bajas, in fact the new to used value ratio is pretty darn good from what I've seen

And overpriced Fountain? lost me there too, it's the best deal on a new performance boat hands down... a 35' executioner w/496's can be had new for around $150k. That is the same price as a 29' formula with small blocks.

mjw930
03-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this...

I can't find any 'cheap' Bajas, in fact the new to used value ratio is pretty darn good from what I've seen

And overpriced Fountain? lost me there too, it's the best deal on a new performance boat hands down... a 35' executioner w/496's can be had new for around $150k. That is the same price as a 29' formula with small blocks.

The 2008 Executioner is a price leader boat. It's sole purpose is to have boats on the floor under $200K. I see them at around $159,000 with the 496 HO and they are supposed to be 78 mph boats in that configuration. Not bad. I wonder what they cost with some options?

Now, look at any other 35' Fountain. We're talking $220,000 - $275,000 depending on power. All this for a boat who's running surface is just about 30'. Their 35' number includes the beak and the swim platform. In size it is smaller than a 322 Velocity which, with twin 496 HO's runs close to 90 mph and can be had for around the same price with K-Planes, external steering and a trailer.

Remember, when comparing Fountains always subtract at least 3' from the competition.

In fact, that 29 Formula has more room than the 35 Fountain but I'll admit, it cannot touch the Fountain's performance until the going gets rough. Then that little 29' Formula will be a much nicer place to be than the 35' Fountain.

As for Baja's, I've seen too many delaminate (not hearsay, I've seen 3 towed in and 5 salvaged due to hull delamination or unrepairable cracking) to ever consider owning one aside from the fact that they are slow for their size, don't handle particularly well, ride rough and from what I've seen, don't age all that well either. If you can't find a cheap one then you aren't looking hard enough.

I hate to say this but back in the middle '90's Baja and Donzi were direct competitors. Their offerings were similar as well as their quality and performance. Donzi redefined itself under AMH and really stepped up it's game to where now they are considered in the same breath as Cigarette, Nortech, Outerlimits and Fountain. Baja, OTOH has just plodded along, made no significant improvements in design or performance and has only recently achieved decent quality.

If Reggie can improve the quality and breath some life into their designs then more power to him. I'll never own either one so it really doesn't matter to me.

mjw930
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
doesn't say anything about reducing the types of Baja's to be
built by the new "FAJA" company or how the transaction is being financed, other than the severance and wind down costs in Ohio.

True, but in the first post Jamie also commented on the word on the street and how Reggie has no interest in building the smaller boats.

If you look at what has been going on with what little "public" financial information is available on Fountain Powerboats, Reggie supposedly paid off Brunswick a while back, but I believe they still hold the option to buy him out.
Doesn't really matter, because I am sure the biggest AP check that goes out every month from North Carolina is to Brunswick for blue motors and I bet that aged receivables chart is not pretty.

Looks like a pretty good financial move to me. The Fountain plant is a more advanced facility than Baja and has current capacity and room to expand. Say what you want about Fountain, they should be able to build a better product than Baja did.

Agreed, I feel for those people in Ohio. I imagine a number of them have been with Baja for a long time.

BUIZILLA
03-21-2008, 06:42 PM
call me naive

call me stupid

but, i've never understood Fountain's balance sheets...

wannabe
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Did anyone mention or know if N.C. is a "Right to Work" state?
If it is then it only makes sense to move to an already developed facility where another layer of labor costs and in a sense, regulation, is removed.

Bucyrus is quite close to me and it is a part of rural Ohio not known for union activity. My guess it is not union.

chappy
03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
And it will be the cleanest looking plant in all the land with nothing but people hummin' and smilin'.

Carl C
03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
C'mon now, Reggie Fountain did a whole lot for the performance boating scene and he is still a player. I can't believe I've seen the day that Fountain boats are ridiculed:(. Actually maybe I started it with the beak joke but that was just a joke. The carbon fiber Baja poker run boats seemed pretty cool too and I hear the poker run tour is now off:(:(. As far as still building lake boats, it'll be interesting to see which way they go.

roadtrip se
03-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Now, look at any other 35' Fountain. We're talking $220,000 - $275,000 depending on power. All this for a boat who's running surface is just about 30'. Their 35' number includes the beak and the swim platform. In size it is smaller than a 322 Velocity which, with twin 496 HO's runs close to 90 mph and can be had for around the same price with K-Planes, external steering and a trailer.

Any day, if we are comparing a Velocity 322 to a 35 Lighting, the Fountain wins, measurement BS aside.

Fountain, modern interior with some updated design features.
Velocity, welcome back to the 70's, boring, dated design.

Fountain, race proven, yes Reggie owns SBI, but at least some of them have been run in a race recently ans won.
Velocity, Where? Except for P-class.

Fountain, tweaked race-proven bottom, better know how to drive.
Velocity 322, been there done that, but not many changes in a lot of years.

Fountain, 35 Lighning with 525s for $225K runs 104mph.
Velocity, 322, umm, maybe not.

I'll buy your comments about Baja, but Fountain and Velocity aren't even in the same league.

I have talked with Steve Stepp many times and he is a good human. Reggie wears me out after five minutes, but the product speaks for itself.

Fountain vs. the Donzi ZR line, now that is a discussion.

I do think this deal is going to take a little time to play out and all of the noise, is just noise. I sincerely hope the folks in Ohio get a chance to save their jobs and find the article that MP posted great news.

mjw930
03-21-2008, 11:14 PM
I knew the comparison to Velocity would draw a crowd.

The ultimate success of their businesses is a direct reflection of their personalities. Steve is more the introvert being fully and directly involved in the design and usually the production of the boats. He has always built the boats HE wanted to build, not the ones the customers necessarily wanted. His old adage that if it didn't make the boat go faster then it had no place on a Velocity is what has won him a small but extremely loyal following but it's also why he has never been the commercial success that Reggie has. He has tried to change over the last couple years but I suspect it's too little, too late. Velocity, as a business, is "for sale" and has been for about 2 years. He has not had any offers worth considering. I find that sad but not entirely surprising.

Anyway, to paint all Velocity's with your brush is unfair, just as it's unfair to think that every Fountain is a result of the hybrids he campaigns in SBI. Hell, up until about 6 years ago all his race boats were built by Douglas Marine, right next the the Skaters. The bottom designs were farmed out for the super-V's. The in-house F-2 boats were not an instant success. The first 35 he campaigned in 1998 or '99 (I can't recall the exact year) spun out and ejected it's driver and navigator twice and was so unstable they gave the boat back to Reggie mid season. They did eventually get it right but not without putting a lot of those unstable hulls in the hands of the paying customers. I personally have a problem with that.

I'll give Reggie his due, he's one hell of a businessman and a pretty good racer but I have never been enamored with his boats. It's just how they look and feel to me when I'm on them or driving them. It's a personal thing, not so much a slam on his boats.

BTW, I'm not a huge Velocity fan anymore either. I've owned one, work, raced and ridden in a number of others and I know Steve and Kim pretty well but I'll be the first to admit most of their designs are dated and their construction quality can be spotty. I just used them as a point of reference because I have experience with them.

At this point, if I were looking for a large (33' - 38'), go fast boat I would be pricing and demoing Donzi and Active Thunder. The AVH bottom, designed by Harry Schoell on the AT 33 and 37 is one of the best all around hulls on the water right now and I've always had a soft spot for the smaller builders. I would not be shopping Velocity, Fountain, Outerlimits, Cigarette, Baja, or any of the west coast boats except perhaps Nordic under their new ownership.

One thing we do share in common is a the desire to eventually own a Formula 370 SS. I doubt I'll get another go fast only boat. I would much rather do some fast cruising in the SS.

BUIZILLA
03-22-2008, 06:53 AM
is it a coincidence that the Donzi/Barrie announcement was virtually days/overlap of the Fountain/Baja announcement??

:wink:

gero1
03-22-2008, 07:05 AM
do you think reggie will fix the speedometers in the baha's? or worse yet make them really run a true 75-80mph cause after getting my arse handed to me by a bass boat nothing feels better than to beat up a baha....unless it's the big yellow one from o.h that runs in the 90's

boxy
03-22-2008, 07:45 AM
After the 35 Fountain ride, Heidi needs a 100 MPH ZR Comp ride...
Anyone out there listening???

44°13'42.08"N - Long
76°28'46.96"W - Lat

August 8th - 10:00 AM

Ask Heidi to meet us at the lat/long. Bring some flipper dip and a bucket of cold Kalik...... :D

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Hmmm....when you first meet Reggie, you think, big greasy redneck with his slicked back hair and large gold chains with the Fountain star on it (here comes the red dings). But, to be honest, I kinda like him. He has done some pretty innovative things.

He was the first one, I believe, to incorporate race hull technology into the fishing boats. The first ones out in the 1990's weren't particularly functional, but he did kinda start the industry, and Donzi soon followed with thier own center console.

He also hold the mono-hull diesel record if I remember right. Slapped a couple of turbo diesels in a 35 I believe and went to town! Can't remember top speed.

He has also been trying to get the mono-hulls to run with the cat's again, and from what I hear, is actually making headway.

He also was one of the few, when he was racing, to run the throttles and pilot the boat. Not many racers would even attempt this. Either you respect that or think he was stupid.

Love him or hate him, he is unique, has accomplished alot and acts bigger than life. Definetly not Don, but they do share a few qualities. Did they ever meet?

Ed Donnelly
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
boxy; Your P.M. box is full.
Need to ask you a question..................Ed

BUIZILLA
03-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Personally, I don't like the guy w_h_a_t_s_o_e_v_e_r...

I think he's diluted his positive accomplishments (and there ARE many) with smoke, mirrors, BS, fake glitter, payoff/influence, and fake/false impressions

I would buy a used Powerplay or AT anyday, especially a 33 PP open... :wink:

:shark:

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Haven't looked at thier website in a while. I noticed the don't make the 27 fever anymore. Kinda like that boat. When I was in Charleston SC in college in the early 1990's, there use to be a lot of them on the Cooper River. At the time, was a good looking, fast boat little boat perfect for river running. I even looked at one at one time. Wonder why they killed it?

mjw930
03-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Haven't looked at thier website in a while. I noticed the don't make the 27 fever anymore. Kinda like that boat. When I was in Charleston SC in college in the early 1990's, there use to be a lot of them on the Cooper River. At the time, was a good looking, fast boat little boat perfect for river running. I even looked at one at one time. Wonder why they killed it?

Mostly they killed it because in it's price point the market is terrible. The margins on the sub 30' boats just aren't there and people either only have about $20K to spend on a used toy or have $200K+ to spend on the big boys. The in between, aka, middle class performance market is all but gone. Blame it on the economy or whatever but the rich are richer and the middle class is shrinking.

Steve once told me he would just as well stop making anything under 35' because the margins were so slim. I remember on '99 he sold about 80 boats, 50 of them were sub 30'. He said he made almost twice as much profit on the 30 big boats as he did on the 50 small boats.

chappy
03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
He was the first one, I believe, to incorporate race hull technology into the fishing boats. The first ones out in the 1990's weren't particularly functional, but he did kinda start the industry, and Donzi soon followed with thier own center console.

Unless we're talking about larger cc's with clamp ons, the St. Tropez was around long before Reggie was building boats. It also had a "little" race hull technology, being based on the Hornet? I could be wrong, I just don't think Reggie started any industry. He may have stood on the shoulders of giants, but didn't start an industry.:)

DW, pm me your mailing address. I've got something I want to ship to you. No po box, I need to ship it UPS. I think you'll like it.

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I was speaking of the 30 ft + area. Basically took one of his go fast boat hulls and configured it into a fishing boat.

Will pm you this morning. Thanks.

LKSD
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
And they are strange
with that non functioning beak
that makes them longer boats
with no usable space for the difference!

The beak adds some extra bow lift according to Reggie.. ;) Jamie

Marlin275
03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
The beak adds some extra bow lift according to Reggie.. ;) Jamie

What Buiz said,
"smoke, mirrors, BS, fake glitter, payoff/influence, and fake/false impressions".

justleft
03-22-2008, 10:52 AM
"Personally, I wouldn't own either one of them. One is under built, under performs and has no resale. The other has spotty build quality, has released (then redesigned) unsafe hull designs and is grossly over priced."

So which is which, I think it describes both !!

I remember one year when Reggie brought a 40' w/ triple small blocks and alpha drives
to one of the big shows !!! :smash: Like that would last a weekend !!!

roadtrip se
03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
That was what I thought I would see when I logged in here today, but it hasn't really turned into that. And it really shouldn't. I got to think the other boards are a feeding frenzy and I am too scared to look.

MJW, thanks for fleshing out your points on Velocity, Fountain, and racing. Agree with you pretty much on all. I would really enjoy talking racing with you some day. I do remember when alot of F2 and F1 teams were going swimming. It was a whole different sense of attachment, when you were friends with those guys being ejected. One thing I will never understand is why the Porters never capitalized more on their success in F2. Leftover Bud Unlimited Hydroplanes, WTF? The 370SS with the Axius system is keeping me awake at night.

I will say that I have seen some pretty well tuned Fountains, including the one that MP is alluding to in the Thousand Islands, that were just awesome performers beyond reproach. My one and only tour on an Executioner left me wanting to urp up lunch, it was such a sad example of go-fast.

DW, as MJW said, the dirty fact is that small boats, like the 27, take almost as much money to build as the bigger ones and they don't have the corresponding margins. I think FTN Dq-ed the 29 recently too for the same reasons. The 32 saw the same fate a few years ago, too, and the new one is a joke. I got to think that Reggie is looking for aspirational sales from Baja owners, since he has made it next to impossible to step up through his line by discontinuing all of his small boats.

I am pleased to hear that all is not what it looks like from the press release from Brunswick. Keep us posted MP.

BUIZILLA
03-22-2008, 12:49 PM
I am pleased to hear that all is not what it looks like from the press release from Brunswick. call me cynical, but i'm a thinkin' Reg said that to keep the troops somewhat in line instead of a full blown mutiny this coming Monday... then he'll bail out in May, and just say it didn't work out in that locale.. they were very definitive on how many personnel would stay on to assist the closeout in their FIRST press release..

but, I could be wrong

if he was bent on leaving it there in OH, he would have contacted the local Chamber peep's before the deal was done, to comfort them beforehand on the news, instead of waiting for them to call him after the fact.. a smart seller would have also, but neither did, nor did Brunswick..

but, I could be wrong

this isn't a sale is it?? was there a sale price posted anywhere?? guess I missed that part.. :doh: they only posted the expected write down TAX LOSS expectation, which means they need(ed) to offset a TAX/REVENUE LOSS at FTN for fiscal 2007. Funny how the reported 2007 $$$ loss at FTN almost equaled the write down expectation at Baja... one washes the other out, in a *merger*

but, I could be wrong

or is this a mere Brunswick transplant of non-performing assets to different dirt pads??

or, maybe, he'll play OH and NC against each other for tax incentives, one way or the other, to keep it there..

call me cynical, call me cautious, call me whatever you want...

but, I could be wrong

:popcorn:

what is Sea Ray/Brunswick going to do, now that Baja/Brunswick isn't building their little boats anymore, and FTN/Brunswick hates puddle jumpers?

more :popcorn:

roadtrip se
03-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Wow, Jim, that is some of the best "in between the lines" reading of a press release that I have ever seen. Sprinkle some cynicism in for effect and we have the complete forecast.

I don' think anybody in the business is expecting to see Mr. Fountain cannonized right next to Mother Teresa, either.

I never implied that life was going to be just lovely for those folks sold down the river at Baja, but to wait and see how it plays out.

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
damn things have been down right fiesty around here lately. Hmmm....got to poop.:hangum::smash::wink::popcorn:

BUIZILLA
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I never implied that life was going to be just lovely for those folks sold down the river at Baja, but to wait and see how it plays out.RT, i'm not picking on anything you said, at all, I just sprinkled in some seasoning to spice things to higher level of reality... :cool:

but, I could be wrong..

the driver who hauled my LE to Lenny, hauled for FTN for 10-12 years before FTN started their own hauling fleet, he lives virtually around the corner from them... he told me that whatever RF said, just spin it 180*, and that would probably be your result.. he also said *a good racer turned business man never tells the whole truth, a good business man turned racer has no reason not to tell the whole truth*, pretty wise man i'd say..

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Quick question- What is wrong with the Executioner? Never been in a Fountain, except a 27 Fever years ago, just wondering why everyone thinks negatively. It says on thier website they have been making it for 25 years. If it was that bad, why is it still being produced? What is wrong, bad construction, handling, layout, keel, drives? Never even seen one t be honest.

RT- Thanks for clarification on the 27 Fever. Makes economic sense. Didn't think it was because of a bad design. The one I road in/drove handled really nice, went well north of 70 mph, and looked sleek. Seemed like an all around decent little Fountain.

roadtrip se
03-22-2008, 02:59 PM
No problem Buiz, I just wanted to make sure, since you used my words on the plight of the Ohio workers, that it was clear that I didn't think we were about to see a new and kinder side of Reggie. We all know better, but I don't think anybody really knows what is going to happen next on this one...

DW, I owned several Fountains in the late 90's. Frankly, I am alot happier with the boats and the community that is Donzi, than I ever was as a Fountain owner. One thing I did not experience then was shoddy build quality. The Executioner that I inspected was cheap all over. Crappy vinyls and seat cushions, slapped on paint, a stainless rub rail that was sort of fitted to the boat, wiring that would be impossible to de-bug, and rigging in the engine bay that was half done. All finess stuff as the bottom had been blue-printed and the fiberglass was flawless. Night and day compared to the boats I owned. It reminded me of a Baja.

mjw930
03-22-2008, 07:50 PM
He was the first one, I believe, to incorporate race hull technology into the fishing boats.

Ah, not quite. Remember the Chris Craft, Cigarrette and Scarab 30'ish center consoles from the '80's. (basically all the same boat splashed from a Cigarrette hull IMHO)

Here's an '87 Chris Craft Scorpion 311 CC

http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/4003796//92258400_9thumb_550x410.jpg

And an '85 Scarab Sport

http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/6/35500095419000001_1.jpg

I don't think Reggie got into the fish boats until the '90's.

DonziChick
03-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I know some of you are wondering, but the plant in Bucyrus is definitely closing. One of my friends is the endurance tester for Baja right now (in FL testing and got a call from his boss). Their last day is at the end of May. His brother helps design Bajas and is also out of a job. It will be tough for him. His wife just bought a resturant and the loan was dependent on him having a job. The plant there also made a lot of Sea Ray's and those will be moved some place else. 285 people will be put out of work.

I know that some of you were arguing for and against Baja's earlier. I think that you pay a little much for what the product is. I've ridden in almost every model they've put out for the past 4 years. The only one that I would consider buying would be the 30 outlaw or the older Caliber model.

Carl C
03-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Personally, I don't like the guy w_h_a_t_s_o_e_v_e_r...

I think he's diluted his positive accomplishments (and there ARE many) with smoke, mirrors, BS, fake glitter, payoff/influence, and fake/false impressions

You forgot the spray-on hair! Fountains have lost their mystique. I used to dream of owning a big Fountain someday. Now I daydream about Cig and OL. Anyway Reggie Fountain did do a lot for the performance boating world and I love/hate the guy. My first ride in an offshore boat was a Fountain and I sure wouldn't be ashamed to own one now, it just wouldn't be my first choice anymore. Frankly, before all this went down I thought he should sell Fountain Powerboats and start a new more upscale company.

fasttrucker
03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Who has better hair donald trump or reggie fountain?:propeller::bonk:

roadtrip se
03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Who has better hair donald trump or reggie fountain?:propeller::bonk:

I would take either one of their hairlines as long as I had the matching bank account to go with it...

DonziChick
03-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I like to make fun of Reggie as much as the next person ( and Baja as well) but I think that a lot of people are losing sight of what this will mean to Bucyrus. There are other factories around, but can they absorb the now 285 or so unemployed? I think that Bucyrus's unemployment rate is higher than most of Ohio already. There's a lot of industry that surrouds Baja that will probably lose business as well. One for example is a guy who does a lot of fiberglass work for Baja on the side and blueprints bottoms.

My friend who is the endurance tester will be out of a job. His brother is out of a job and may not get to keep the new resturant that they purchased because he is no longer employed.