PDA

View Full Version : New side mount shifter

brwn234
03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I"ve been looking at this shifter for awhile. I remembered a post and maybe some pictures on the board about installing this one or something like this, but I couldnt find it. What do you guys think of this shifter? It's kinda pricey but whats on my zx now feels like a toy. It'll be more reliable and safer than the quicksilver or whatever is on there now. Sometimes it sticks when trying to move just off idle, so I want something new.

The Hedgehog
03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
The Livorsi or the Dana?

I have the Livorsi on my X-18 and really like it.

brwn234
03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh Sorry...the Dana, I meant to put a link below. Here it is.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=33&catid=576&productid=4691&CFID=391269&CFTOKEN=44951277

BigGrizzly
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Zim17 did that mod. I think he really liked it. as for the Merc shifter it is a toy.

VetteLT193
03-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Zim did both Livorsi, then dana. I love the way the livorsi unit looks, and it's only about $400. If memory serves me right the livorsi unit didn't hold the spring used on the whipple but was otherwise fine. hopefully he chimes in:)

mjw930
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd have the Dana unit if it wasn't $790 :shocking:

That's a tad rich but I suspect it's a very low production item. $500 would be more reasonable IMHO.

BigGrizzly
03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
The Dana had a friction adjustment so it held the spring fine when adjusted.

catch 22
03-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Have the livorsi on my 22 and it work's very well.

Jamesbon
03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
That Dana shifter is HOTTT!

LKSD
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I sold a Livorsi side mount yesterday to a client with a 22c.. Pretty trick set up.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

glashole
03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I guess it comes down to the owners driving and docking styles but I don't think the dual shilfter would be any easier to dock.

Obviously it is a very cool looking unit but I can't see the functionality to it on a single engine configuration as you would be using two hands on the throttle and the other one on the steering wheel

I would have to give the nod to the Livorsi one also- I saw Zimm's in person and it looks pretty cool :smash:

either one would be better looking than stock for sure

Shea

mjw930
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I guess it comes down to the owners driving and docking styles but I don't think the dual shilfter would be any easier to dock.

Obviously it is a very cool looking unit but I can't see the functionality to it on a single engine configuration as you would be using two hands on the throttle and the other one on the steering wheel

I would have to give the nod to the Livorsi one also- I saw Zimm's in person and it looks pretty cool :smash:

either one would be better looking than stock for sure

Shea

I've used both and for a normal motor with a small prop there's little difference between the two with the nod going to the 1 piece shifter. On a boat with a high performance motor that's running some cam or a blower the dual lever setup is invaluable. On many of the single lever setups in tight maneuvers a blown or cam'd motor will stall as you are moving from forward to reverse. On the dual lever setup you can notch up a little more throttle and bump it into and out of forward and reverse as needed. These motors have larger props so you also tend to have them in gear less around the docks.

I suppose it ultimately comes down to preference.

The Hedgehog
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I have both. I have the Livorsi on my 18 and a Keikhauffer on my 26.

I really like the dual control now. Even though the Livorsi has a nice smooth action, you tend to jump around a little more when swinging a nice sized prop on a small boat.

That being said, I have no intention of losing the Livorsi for a dual setup.

Madcow
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I just bought the Livorsi for my 18. Looks cool, well built, very smooth, nice finish. To me it just looked like a nicer piece than the Dana. Plus it's 1/2 the price.

brwn234
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I've been searching all over for some insight to this install and found these pics on speedwake.com

I like it. I just dont know about the price especially after buying a new exhaust this year.

mjw930
03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I've been searching all over for some insight to this install and found these pics on speedwake.com

I like it. I just dont know about the price especially after buying a new exhaust this year.

Wow, I"m glad you posted that picture. I didn't realize how big it is. That would look out of place on a Classic, at least on a 16 or an 18.

Has anyone considered using the pod and the standard 2 handle controls like they did on the Shelby?

TXDONZI
03-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Has anyone considered using the pod and the standard 2 handle controls like they did on the Shelby?

I have... I got the pod (really nicely made) but wanted to see the setup in person to see how much room you lose (being able to spin the seat around) before I bought the shifter and installed it. Plus I just can't decide on the colors I want it in. Also I was thinking about doing it without the upholstered finish and just having it white gel coat w/polished 12pt. bolts and AN washers. That’s what I intend on mounting my dash and switch panels with.

brwn234
03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Your right it does look bigger when you see it installed. I think it will be alright on the 22zx though. The original merc piece is pretty big and like the way it feels. I think it'll look pretty good in place of that old flimsy thing. What do you think?

Donzi LG
03-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I have the Dana ready to be installed as soon as my boat comes out of storage. I'll post pics when it's done. I also think it will be a sweet addition to the 22ZX, I can't wait to see it installed!

John

hot shot
03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Hey Guys
I'm about to order the livorsi unit, Question ... do we need that connection kit offered part # CCKEYELET ?