PDA

View Full Version : Toyota wants to buy my truck back

gold-n-rod
03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Well, that's jumping the gun, actually. They are buying back 95.5-2000 Tacos with frame rust thru. Here's the crazy part..... 1.5 x KBB excellent dealer retail! :smash:

I'll be taking it in for inspection. Here in MI, they salt the he11 out of the roads, so maybe.

If it's perforated, according to KBB, I should be able to trade for a brand new Taco!!!

I'll keep you posted!!!!!

gold-n-rod
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I just came back from the driveway for a quickie look see....... found one spot where I can stick my finger through! Ruh-roh.

Time to go shopping, me thinks!

gold-n-rod
03-18-2008, 04:34 PM
When I called my service guy this a.m., he tried to tell me that the campaign hadn't started yet. So, I printed off the PDFs and dropped them off to him, suggesting that he "study up" before I brought the '00 to him at 3.

This time, they happily greeted me and told me they would get right to it. 30 minutes later, with grave faces, they informed me that they had an '08 RAV AWD waiting for me. They found "perforation" which is what I found last night laying on the driveway, shining a flashlight. The service guy was really surprised, because he knows how anal I am about my truck. Still, I could tell they were taking no chances, calling it a "major safety issue."

So, I am awaiting the independent inspector that the factory sends out prior to settling up.

Both my kids, who learned to drive on the Taco, are majorly bummed at its apparent demise. I don't have the heart to tell them it will likely get crushed. I told them it would get "parted out" like organ donation.

Anyway, now I have to decide what to buy next. I'll keep you posted.

Donziweasel
03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Sounds like a great deal. Wish my F-350 would rust through right now and they would give me 1.5XKBB. What happened with the Taco's in question? Why did they rust on the frame? Damn, got a 40 year old Bronco with no rust through on the frame. How bad is yours?

gold-n-rod
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a great deal. Wish my F-350 would rust through right now and they would give me 1.5XKBB. What happened with the Taco's in question? Why did they rust on the frame? Damn, got a 40 year old Bronco with no rust through on the frame. How bad is yours?

Evidently, it's a combination of poorly prepared/sealed steel and winter salt (don't know about ocean front areas). Toyota is at least manning up to the issue. It's gonna cost them big time, but probably still less than a few lawsuits.

As soon as I heard about the issue, I crawled under and started poking around. I found 2 places where I could push my finger through the steel frame. :shocking: Still, I keep a very clean truck. I wonder about the ones that are caked underneath with salt and dirt from gravel roads. They have to be MUCH worse than mine.

In the end, Toyota will be paying me about $4K more than I paid for it used 5 years and 50K miles ago. :smash:

vonkamp
03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
In the end, Toyota will be paying me about $4K more than I paid for it used 5 years and 50K miles ago

wow, that's a good deal!! :yes:

Are you going to buy another Toyota? Do you know if 4Runners are in that recall?

gold-n-rod
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
wow, that's a good deal!! :yes:
Are you going to buy another Toyota? Do you know if 4Runners are in that recall?

I will give it very serious consideration.

4 Runners are not. They were made in Japan and the frames were sourced from a different supplier.

Donziweasel
03-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Although I have enjoyed some of the fiesty threads about Toyota, they are becoming a serious contender in JH. It use to be that cowboys like old Mercedes and Cadillacs (no idea why, but you don't see as many a s you use to) and large american trucks. In the last four years, I see more and more cowboys, outfitters, and rough necks driving Taco's and Tundras. To be honest, I have friends that have both and have never heard one thing bad about them. If they ever got into the 3/4 or 1 ton market, I would have to take a serious look.

I read somewhere that Toyota is the largest car manufacturer on the planet. They didn't get that way by producing crappy cars or giving crappy service. To give the deal you are talking about on a vehicle 8 years old and obviously out of warranty, would be looked at as financial suicide by most companies. Toyota may lose a little in the short run, but they will make it up in the long run with very very happy customers. My hat is off to Toyota, they get it!