PDA

View Full Version : Blue Run-Dry Impellers by Globe - Anyone heard of

Carl C
03-17-2008, 08:32 AM
They are made by Globe Composite Solutions, www.kfgi.com (http://www.kfgi.com) , and cost about $44. Is anyone familiar with these and have any opinions?

penbroke
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I've been very happy with mine. I have heard there were some problems with seperation of the urethane body from the insert but I have never seen it.

Frank

BigGrizzly
03-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Same as pembroke, most guys here don't like them. I realy think its because they havne't given them the chance plus the profit margin isn't as good.

synack
03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
OffshoreOnly and Speedwake have had a number of threads on them. Some people complain of the engines running warmer by 10-15 degrees. Others say there is no temp difference over stock impeller. If they were more readily available, I'd probably have 'em installed.

Forrest
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
The bronze centers can and will separate from the blue impeller material on certain part numbers of Globe Blue "Run-Dry" replacement impellers. Unless Globe changed the designed, I would advise to, at the least, stay away from the part numbers that replace Volvo-Penta style crankshaft-driven pumps. When the center separates, it happens suddenly, and your engine temperature immediately soars. You hade better be watching your temp gauge at the time of failure or it could be all over. After three failures, you couldn't give me another one. I'm back to good old black rubber impellers. They tend to die a slow predictable death.

Carl C
03-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I just got my original impeller out and with 3 seasons and 153 hours it is still intact so I will replace it with a stock type at least this time.

MOP
03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Barco was the originator of those impellers, Globe bought the company I am guessing at about 10-15 years ago. They are pretty popular with the charter fishing guys out my way, we are talking big boats with large diesels engines. These guys that must be operational to make their living.

Carl C
03-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Barco was the originator of those impellers, Globe bought the company I am guessing at about 10-15 years ago. They are pretty with the charter fishing guys out my way, we are talking big boats with large diesels engines. These guys that must be operational to make their living. I thought these were something new! Since my old imp still looked OK and some doubts have come up about the blue ones I'll stick with the stock type. :alligator

mjw930
03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
I think you'll find that the aftermarket exists not so much because the Merc parts aren't good, but because the Merc parts are expensive.

Some things, like an impeller, are simply not something you should cheap out on. Considering the testing that Mercury does I seriously doubt the aftermarket part is anything more than a knockoff using different materials. Materials that may or may not have been subjected to the rigor the factory part has.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say to always buy the Merc part but in this case I think you can't go wrong with it.

SilverBack
07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Has anyone ever had any problem with the Bravo impeller? I am replacing mine and I am thinking about going to one of these blue impellers.

Carl C
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
This is an old thread. My 496 impellers held up well. I did not switch to these blue ones.

SilverBack
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I saw over on boat freaks that they changed the impellers and got rid of the bronze hub. Forrest had trouble with a couple of them before but I wanted to know if anyone has had any trouble since they changed them to the all plastic unit that they have now.

MOP
07-09-2009, 10:21 AM
IMO any black impeller should be changed every two years, the blues will last at least twice as long.

penbroke
07-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Mine has the plastic/composite hub. Not sure what the hub material is but it is still going strong. :yes:

Frank

Morgan's Cloud
07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Has anyone ever had any problem with the Bravo impeller? I am replacing mine and I am thinking about going to one of these blue impellers.

The stock Merc impeller that came on our 502 failed at about 130 hrs.
When we took it out of the housing the rubber felt as though it was made of putty and you could literally peel the remaining vanes off the impeller without any effort.

As unsual as he felt it was, when I asked our mech. if it was something we should ask Merc about he almost peed his pants laughing ........

Pismo
07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Considering I ran the stock Merc impeller in my X-18 for 6 years before I got off my ass and changed it, I'll stick with the Merc, too many stories of the blue ones failing..
All that said, since the engine is out I'll break down and change the 2 yr old impeller thats in it now ;) :) :p

My 1979 pre-alpha original impeller lasted until about 2001, over 2000 hours. It never failed but the temp started to wander.