PDA

View Full Version : Help - Water In U-joint Bellows

sctiberio
03-17-2008, 06:06 AM
I Have A 1991 Sweet 16 With A Omc Cobra Drive. Has Anyone Ever Seen Water In The U-joint Bellows. I Replaced The Bellows And There Is Still A Leak. I Find The Bellows With Water In It When I Pull The Outdrive Off.

I Figure It Only Has Three Ways To Get In:

1. The Bellows Itself Is Leaking At Either The Clamp End Or The Outdrive End. Not Likely, Since The Bellows Was Replaced.

2. The Grease Fitting Tube Could Be Allowing Water In Where In Connects To The Gimbel Bearing Housing, Or The Grease Fitting Itself Is Letting Water In. A Possibility.

3. The Transom Plate Seal Is Shot And Water Is Getting In Behind It And Through The Gimbel Bearing Seal, (designed To Keep Grease In, Not Water Out).

I Can Check Items 1 And 2 Relatively Easily. I Figure If It's Item 3, I'm Screwed.

I Also Find Water In The Bilge On A Fairly Regular Basis. I Assume It Is Just Coming In Through The Hatch Or The Engine Compartment Air Vents, But It Could Also Be Leaking In Through The Transom Seal.

Could Use Any Advice.

Barry Eller
03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
I Have A 1991 Sweet 16 With A Omc Cobra Drive. Has Anyone Ever Seen Water In The U-joint Bellows. I Replaced The Bellows And There Is Still A Leak. I Find The Bellows With Water In It When I Pull The Outdrive Off.

I Figure It Only Has Three Ways To Get In:

1. The Bellows Itself Is Leaking At Either The Clamp End Or The Outdrive End. Not Likely, Since The Bellows Was Replaced.

2. The Grease Fitting Tube Could Be Allowing Water In Where In Connects To The Gimbel Bearing Housing, Or The Grease Fitting Itself Is Letting Water In. A Possibility.

3. The Transom Plate Seal Is Shot And Water Is Getting In Behind It And Through The Gimbel Bearing Seal, (designed To Keep Grease In, Not Water Out).

I Can Check Items 1 And 2 Relatively Easily. I Figure If It's Item 3, I'm Screwed.

I Also Find Water In The Bilge On A Fairly Regular Basis. I Assume It Is Just Coming In Through The Hatch Or The Engine Compartment Air Vents, But It Could Also Be Leaking In Through The Transom Seal.

Could Use Any Advice.

I love multiple choice questions!:smile:

I replaced my transom plate seal a little over a year ago because of the same problem you are having.

I'll bet on Door # 3...:crossfing:

Get in the engine bay when the boat is in the water and look for water trickling down from the transom hole area to confirm your bilge water is coming from there.

ronnie
03-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Steve I also have a 91 sweet 16 I had water in bilge it was a loose hose clamp on exhaust man.

Cuda
03-17-2008, 07:07 AM
I almost sank my Minx, by leaving it in the water overnight, at the Hyatt during the Hometown Rally a few years ago. It was a leaking bellows.

sctiberio
03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I love multiple choice questions!:smile:

I replaced my transom plate seal a little over a year ago because of the same problem you are having.

I'll bet on Door # 3...:crossfing:

Get in the engine bay when the boat is in the water and look for water trickling down from the transom hole area to confirm your bilge water is coming from there.

How difficult was it to replace the transom seal, the housing is removed from the outside, but the nuts holding it on are on the inside and the bottom two look very difficult to get to.

Barry Eller
03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
How difficult was it to replace the transom seal, the housing is removed from the outside, but the nuts holding it on are on the inside and the bottom two look very difficult to get to.

Engine has to be removed.

ANGUS
03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Steve, All 3 options deserve a good look but being a Cobra I am betting on the transom seal...which calls for engine removal...but having done this on a King Cobra I now wonder if I might not have gotten away with a carefully laid bead of silicone around both the interior and exterior mounting surfaces of the transom plate. OK I am ducking because I am sure there is heavy incoming fire.

Barry Eller
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Steve, All 3 options deserve a good look but being a Cobra I am betting on the transom seal...which calls for engine removal...but having done this on a King Cobra I now wonder if I might not have gotten away with a carefully laid bead of silicone around both the interior and exterior mounting surfaces of the transom plate. OK I am ducking because I am sure there is heavy incoming fire.

Band-Aid. :fire::biggrin:

Fix it right. Its the right thing to do. Your Donzi will love you for it.:angel:

MOP
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok we are talking about my old 16, Steve has had his hands full with the boat. It had two other owners before he got it, anyway onto the issue! The transom seal is very doubtful, it would allow water into the boat but not into the bellows. The water getting into the U joint is usually one of two things, the bellows or the mounting gasket. If you suspect the gasket over the bellows being as you have replaced it. The mating gasket needs a decent coating of gasket compound on both mating surfaces or it will leak. There is a fair amount of pressure from the water pump, so once the drive is mounted the sealer should be allowed to dry at least 24 hours before launching. Merc Perma Seal, Aviation gasket compound or the like should be used.

ADD ON! The grease tube may also be the cause they have been known to rot!!

Phil