PDA

View Full Version : Spent Friday at the Ford and Chevy dealers....

Donziweasel
03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Looking for a new truck for me and a SUV for Boo Boo. Went to both Ford and Chevy. It is a package deal, whichever manufacturer we choose gets both vehicles. I have never owned a Chevy, but like the Silverado w/Duramax. Boo Boo hated the Tahoe, but loved the 1/2 Suburban. Two things I liked about the Chevy Silverado was the exhaust brake (great for the mountains) and the fully locking rear diff. The only thing I did not like was that you can not get the 3500 HD in a short box. 8 ft is too much for me.

On the Ford side, I liked the F-350 and some of it's options. The 6.4 litre Powerstroke is a little more powerful than the Duramax, but doesn't feel it. Maybe I am just used to the ruch of the big turbo on the 6.0L and not the full range twin turbo plus the 6.4 is so quiet, I didn't even know it was running. Of course my 6.0L is loud as hell. The 6.4L had a boost gauge that went to 4, but I couldn't get it over 2.5. I love the tailgate step (hate climbing into the bed of the truck) and bed extender. Boo Boo loved the Eddie Bauer Expedition EL.

For styling, the Silverado is more basic while the Ford has more bling in the interior. Exterior, hmm... not sure which I liek better although the Ford looks like it has more ground clearance and sits higher. As for the Suburban and Expedition, once again, interior goes to Ford. The electric fold flat rear seats are nice and the dash is fancier. Exterior, have to go with the Suburban probably. The molded body panels painted the color of the body look nice. One thing is that the Suburban offers a fully locking rear diff, while the Ford has a fancy 4wheel drive system with electronic traction control and other stuff. I like a good straight foward mechanincal system like the Suburban vs all this wheel slip electronic crap on the Expedition.

As far as price and finaincing, Ford probably has the edge. They are offering some great rebates on the F-350 ($3,000.00) and a $1,000.00 owner loyalty for owning a previous Superduty. They are also offering 1.9% for 60 months. The Expedition also had $4,000.00 in rebates and 0.0% finaincing for 60 months.

We built both vehicles for both manufactures on thier respective websites. We built both vehicles with the same respective options from both manufactures. Then we printed them and gave them to the dealers. I told them whoever gives us the both deal gets the business, plus 4 new vans for Alltrans, Inc. SO, this is almost a $250,000.00 deal. The only one we have gotten back was the F-350 FX4 pretty loaded with 6.4L twin turbo diesel. Came out to $51,000.00 on the build and the dealer priced it at $41,000.00. Not bad! Will keep updating as I get the other prices.

One thing that pissed me off was what the dealers were willing to take on trade. They offered 13,000.00 for Boo Boo's 2004 fully loaded F-150 XLT Supercab with 21,000 miles. Truck is mint. For mine, 21,000.00 for a 2004 F-350 XLT Crew Cab fully loaded with 50,000 miles and in good condition. Might try and sell on EBAY or Autotrader instead for trading in.

gcarter
03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
The Expedition w/the independent rear suspension is hard to beat. A lot more interior room w/the rear floor located about 6" lower due to the differential being solidly located, plus a lot better ride w/o all the jounce you get w/a rough road a thing of the past because all that unsprung weight of the rear axle/differential is also gone. Chevy doesn't have it.

yeller
03-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Sounds to me like the Ford wins. About the only thing you prefer on the Chevy is the locking diff. I'm with you on having a simple mechanical set up as opposed to the computer controlled AWD, but that's just the old dog in me refusing to change. When it comes right down to it, the computer controlled AWD will get better traction and be safer to drive.

BTW: I may be interested in your 04 F150. I just started looking for a new truck and was really looking at used 06's up, but with only 21K, your's my still fit the bill. I assume it's 4x4? Got any pics?

Donziweasel
03-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeller-It is a real nice truck. Here is the list-

XLT
Supercab
5.4l 300hp V-8
Power everything
Chrome nerf bars
21000 miles
Shift on the fly 4x4

She hardly drove it, except to work and back. Took really nice care of it. Need a 2004 F-350 also? :wink:

Here are some pics- make me an offer!

Donziweasel
03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Scott, trying to have kids and she wants a mommie mobile grocery getter, so SUV instead of truck. I would love it if she kept the truck, but it is her decision. Plus, whenever I get one, she can't stand it and has to get one as well. Took her to the dealership in 2004 to pick up mine. Unfortunatly I picked up the F-150 too!

Tony
03-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Admitedly I have little experience buying new, but it would seem to me that the rebates and financing incentives are small change compared to what the dealer can do between wholesale and sticker. These items are not moving very well right now and, coupled with your promise to purchase company vehicles, I would think the dealer could come way down...possibly approaching his cost or just over.

:beer:

SilverBack
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I have a Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins but both of my brothers have the new Ford diesels and they both love them and have not had any trouble with them. One has the King Ranch and the other has an Limited so they are both very plush. It sounds like that is a great deal on that Ford!!

Donziweasel
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I must admit that I like 1 ton trucks, especailly for pulling horses. You are battling the trailer sliding in the mud and snow, but also the horses moving in the trailer. If you have never experinced pulling 4 horses in moutains on a muddy/snowy dirt road, it is quite a scarry sensation. When the horses move, sometimes in the opposite way the trailer is sliding, it can make the trailer (and the truck) do some bizzare crap. FYI, horses can weigh up to and even over 1500 each, throw in 4 of them, tack, hay and a trailer and you have a little weight. The Ford F-350 simply does a better job than a 2500HD. I know because last year I hunted with my friend and on some days we used his 2500HD Duramax and some days, my truck (mostly my truck as the Chevy scared the crap out of both of us towing the horses, but in fairness I had studden and siped tires which I think helped a bunch. I also had, and used, chains.). Mine simply handled it better. You didn't feel like you went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson at the end of a day of towing either. I am not sure if his had the locking diff, but I don't think it did while I had limited slips on front and rear (3.73). I wouldn't know about the 3500HD, but I here the only difference between it and the 2500 is one leaf spring. I simply don't want an 8 ft bed, which is the only one offered in the 3500HD. I would have to get the 3/4 ton Chevy. Still, the Chevy is nice. I think both are fine trucks, but I am leaning toward the Ford and Boo Boo is as well. The Tahoe felt extremely tight, bad for snow and ice, and the suspension was too stiff. The Suburban was much looser, almost too loose, but better. The Expedition was right in the middle and in many ways, perfect. Kinda like one porridge too hot, one too cold, and one is just right while I go broke!

I will say I am very perculiar about my truck. I tow, drive and operate in some of the worst conditions in the lower 48. Having it set up right is a safety concern. I tow snowmobiles (up to 8 at a time) in the winter and campers, boats, horses etc... in the summer. I go over huge mountain passes with over 10% grades winter and summer. I go way in the bcakcountry to very remote areas where help could be days of walking, so reliability is paramount. I really use my truck and I won't settle for something that will endanger me or my family, especially if we have a new addition. I want the best, most reliable, biggest and safest thing on the road for me and my family. It can literally mean the difference between life or death here, especailly in the winter. Boo Boo's vehicle will never be submitted to what my truck is, but I think the Expedition is a good, relaible, and set up right, safe vehicle for her.

BUIZILLA
03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
John, you get that F150 truck down here and i'll take it. :crossfing:

Also, couple weeks back I tried to investigate a 4wd Expedition... dealer's down here don't stock them... nor do they have any remote clue what they are equipped with... do they have independent rear susp. if they are 4wd?? I would have to agree that the new EL interior is extremely user friendly, they have really done their homework well, luv the flushmount power floorboards..

why do you NEED a 350??

can you get the 6.4 in an E350 stretch?? what engines do you want for the vans??

Dmax baby... Dmax... then get a 6.0 gas 'Burb 4wd...
or wait for the 4.5L V8 Dmax Z71 'Burb

Donziweasel
03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Buiz, let me see if I know of anyone heading back east. I think one of my drivers, who lives in Florida, was planning to fly, but if you are serious, I am sure he would deliver it. He is heading out April 6. All I can say is that it was her truck, she drove it very well, and never used it as a truck. It was simply her daily driver. It might have had a bale of hay in the bed once or twice and has probably been down a gravel road or two, but that is it. It never had a problem and it was never abused, period! Damn good little truck. It also has a tow package, tonnoau (sp?) cover, new tires (less than 500 miles) and plastic bolt in bedliner.

The Expedition comes with Independent double wishbone even with the 4wd. Nice feature.

As for vans, the truck is for me, but I need to replace 4 E-350 extended vans for Alltrans, Inc. Chevy do not offer the D-Max in the passenger van, only in the cargo. Kinda upset about that. All my Fords had the 6.0 (when they were running as 3 out of 5 right now are not). Ford does not currently offer the 6.4 in the E series. I am seriously looking at the 1500 Chevy van as it has AWD, a really nice feature out here as full size vans, even with studded snow tires, handle like crap in snow and ice. I lose 3 passengers, but for access some areas in JH, the AWD would be great. Will probably get two of those and 2 3500 Chevy's with the 6.0 V-8. The Ford dealer doesn't know that:wink:, but with the right offer, I would consider possibly 2 E-350 with the V-10. I have taken delivery of 2 GMC's (0ne 21 pax and one 33 pax) with the D-Max and have been very happy. Plus, my mechanics love them vs. the 6.0. I am not going to debate the 6.0 right now, but let's say it is a major factor of after 12 years of Fords for my company to looking at Chevy and GMC. I ****ing hate the 6.0!

I will say that now I have driven both the D-Max and 6.4, I can not say anything bad about either of them. Both have gobs of torque, little to no turbo lag, extremely quiet and both started right up after sitting out all night in the cold not plugged in. I will say Chevy got it right the first time with the D-Max, Ford had it right with the 7.3, screwed it up with the 6.0, took what they learned and got it right again with the 6.4.

BUIZILLA
03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
DW, I just read Yeller's first request for the truck... by all means he's in line first for sure, I don't intentionally step on people's toe's. Sorry if I intruded...

Donziweasel
03-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Not at all, I will give Yeller first right of refusal. I would much rather sell it to one of you before trading it to a pushy car salesman. For you that are interested, I plan on being on these boards a while, so I can assure you I wouldn't sell you something that is not the way I say it is. Not too late to come ski 500 + inches of powder and drive it for yourselves!

I will say I am leaving March 27 for 2 and a half weeks. I would really like to sell it before then. Our vehicles will probably be built and delivered by the time we get back. If no one wants it by then, I will probably sell it online (Autotrader or Ebay) when I get back.

I looked and they are going for around $21,000.00 + in comparable condition with comparable miles. I would take $15,500.00 for a member of Donzi.net. and might be able to have it delivered. I will take $25,000 for the F-350 (fully loaded, cap, roof rack, sunroof, 50,000 miles, etc...)

DonziFreak
03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey DW! Whats up? Long time no post for me...haha....anyways, down to buisness.....

I personaly have never owned one, but I will never own a ford.....I've seen some pretty nasty crap come from them and have heard some nasty things about their trucks......(althought I'm sure it's not ALL of their trucks) it just seems to me they have too many bad-seeds coming out of the factory.....

On the other hand, I have a Chevy 3500HD LT2 dually.....god, I love it! I can't think of a single negative thing about it (althought I'm sure there are a few possible kinks, I just havn't noticed any!) It's a great truck and gets me about 16 MPG Highway when I'm towing our race boat......I don't know what to say other than I'm absolutely in love with it....they may be a little bit more pricey than ford (depending on the dealer) but they are 100% worth every cent.....

BTW, I've owned 5 diffrent Chevys....and don't have a single bad thing to say about any of them.....

yeller
03-16-2008, 09:59 PM
DW, I just read Yeller's first request for the truck... by all means he's in line first for sure, I don't intentionally step on people's toe's. Sorry if I intruded...I was about to pull out the big :uzi: when I saw your 1st post. :biggrin: Thanks for stepping aside Buizilla.
I am interested DW. I don't have time right now, but will call you tomorrow.

BTW: went to all the dealerships today. Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan. Both my wife and I agreed on either a Ford or Chevy. If you go Chev, I saw one today in a chocolate brown maroon (that's the best I can describe it). It was the nicest color I've seen in a long time!

yeller
03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Not at all, I will give Yeller first right of refusal.

Well, my wife and I talked about it and I was very, very close to pulling the trigger but decided not to.

Buizilla, I called John and left him a message that I wouldn't be taking the truck. I know I'm going to regret it later. It's a very good price for that truck.