PDA

View Full Version : Gil Dry Offshore Exhaust

Barry Eller
03-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I have acquired a Gil Dry Offshore Exhaust System. (Thanks Dan, I'll be Disturbing the Peace with you!)

I have purchased a set of Gil Turbulators. In installing these, I know I need to have a gasket between the manifold and Turbulator, but I don't know what to do between the Turbulator and riser. Should I install another gasket or sealer there?

Here are a couple of links showing what I have.

http://www.gilmarine.com/products/exsys/dosystem.html

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2586

gcarter
03-16-2008, 08:41 AM
I have acquired a Gil Dry Offshore Exhaust System. (Thanks Dan, I'll be Disturbing the Peace with you!)
I have purchased a set of Gil Turbulators. In installing these, I know I need to have a gasket between the manifold and Turbulator, but I don't know what to do between the Turbulator and riser. Should I install another gasket or sealer there?
Here are a couple of links showing what I have.
http://www.gilmarine.com/products/exsys/dosystem.html
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2586
The TR came w/a set of those. I don't know the answer, but when I go to the shop later today, I'll look and see what is on the manifolds.

BTW, I have the dry water cooled pipes but I won't be using them. I'll be using the Gil risers designed for Q&Q.
If anyone is interested in them, holler. They have shotgun mufflers on the ends.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Mr X
03-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Barry,
yes...sandwich the Turbulator between two gaskets.

Barry Eller
03-16-2008, 08:55 AM
The TR came w/a set of those. I don't know the answer, but when I go to the shop later today, I'll look and see what is on the manifolds.
BTW, I have the dry water cooled pipes but I won't be using them. I'll be using the Gil risers designed for Q&Q.
If anyone is interested in them, holler. They have shotgun mufflers on the ends.
Sorry to hijack your thread.

Barry,
yes...sandwich the Turbulator between two gaskets.

Thanks. One more question, do the slip in silencers really work?
I see most are only rated for around 425 HP. I'm probably close to 500HP.

I don't want to hang mufflers on the back. I don't have a problem with noise restrictions in my area, but if I go somewhere that does, what would be my best options?

http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Exhaust/slip-in-silencers.htm

Mr X
03-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Barry,
they work somewhat......IMO not worth it.
Quick and quiet is much more effective....

mjw930
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
If you need to dump the water further back than Q&Q will allow due to cams (and with 500 HP that's very likely) then from what I've heard the CMI silencers are the ticket. You can get them as slip-ons and only install them when needed.

http://www.custommarine.com/images/product/thumb_silencers_soundeliminationmuffle2.jpg

Hold onto your wallet, they run about $1000 for the pair!

Barry Eller
03-16-2008, 09:52 AM
If you need to dump the water further back than Q&Q will allow due to cams (and with 500 HP that's very likely) then from what I've heard the CMI silencers are the ticket. You can get them as slip-ons and only install them when needed.

http://www.custommarine.com/images/product/thumb_silencers_soundeliminationmuffle2.jpg

$1000.00!
I'll just be loud! Yeah, my cam profile could cause reversion at low RPM's. My Revolution Exhaust is very good at preventing reversion, but Dan (p729lws) had removed these Gils from his 22 when he sold it without power. His 28 Pantera came with 5" Dry offshore exhaust and he offered the Gils to me. He is a good friend! He did say he never thought he would be bragging about 5 inches!!!

Here is the cam profile I'm running.

The Hedgehog
03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Barry,

The slip in silencers do work but you are probably have a little bit too much hp for them.

If you wanted to use them for low rpm cruising you should be fine. They will take out the bark. I don't think that they would make you legal with your power if you went in places with noise restrictions where they use a db meter.

Barry Eller
03-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Barry,
they work somewhat......IMO not worth it.
Quick and quiet is much more effective....

Does Q&Q divert exhaust thru the lower unit and out the prop? I don't have a hole in the transom for that, came with thru hull exhaust only.

The Hedgehog
03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Does Q&Q divert exhaust thru the lower unit and out the prop? I don't have a hole in the transom for that, came with thru hull exhaust only.

It does. You can get a Y-pipe that connects to the lower. You will have to pull the engine.

Also, with Q and Q you will not be able to use long risers and it does not get along with a big cam.

SilverBack
03-16-2008, 01:55 PM

I was just about to order a set of these last week when I ordered my LifeLine vest from Top Notch and I was told that they open up and are basically like open exhaust after 1400 rpm's or so. I am caught in a catch 22 of sorts on my exhaust situation.

Barry,
If you decide to go with Q+Q I am pulling a whole setup out of my boat that is in great shape. It has the electric servos. Let me know if you are interested!

Barry Eller
03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I was just about to order a set of these last week when I ordered my LifeLine vest from Top Notch and I was told that they open up and are basically like open exhaust after 1400 rpm's or so. I am caught in a catch 22 of sorts on my exhaust situation.

Barry,
If you decide to go with Q+Q I am pulling a whole setup out of my boat that is in great shape. It has the electric servos. Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks, but I'm not going that route. I live on open water, Pensacola Bay, I run the intercoastal east to Destin and west to Gulf Shores. People have been putting up with loud Go Fast boats forever around here. If I lived on a lake, I'm sure I would have to hang some cans on the pipes. I'm not wanting to go to all the trouble and expense of all that.

I guess the name of my boat says it all...YIPPY-KAI-YAY...!

Barry Eller
03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I have the Gils installed, removed the exhaust tips from the transom, (that was a chore) and have installed a new drive coupler. I'm trying to decide where to install the water dumps. I'm thinking of the sides where the holes I will have to drill with the hole saw will be easier than through the transom itself. I have new SS trim rings with seals and will put the engine back in this weekend.

BigGrizzly
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Don't do the slip in, not good at high rpm. Do the CMI it is worth it. There are some other bolt ons that work too, just hunt them up. I think Stainless Marine has some

Barry Eller
03-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Don't do the slip in, not good at high rpm. Do the CMI it is worth it. There are some other bolt ons that work too, just hunt them up. I think Stainless Marine has some

10-4. Will the tips get too hot to use the "Toilet Seat Lid" flappers? I sometimes anchor in water that could dip the tips in waves. I don't want any water in the exhaust.

BigGrizzly
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
The rubber flappers will byrn unless water enters the end of the pipe too Like the CMI that that are on my Corsican

Barry Eller
03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
The rubber flappers will burn unless water enters the end of the pipe too Like the CMI that that are on my Corsican

Thanks. I guess I'll just have loud exhaust. No mufflers, no flappers. Just a loud 502 with a lot of cam thumping. It won't be a sleeper!

p729lws
03-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks. I guess I'll just have loud exhaust. No mufflers, no flappers. Just a loud 502 with a lot of cam thumping. It won't be a sleeper!

Your pipes are damp not dry:wink: You might as well try the flappers unless there is a down side I don't know about. The worst that could happen is they melt, right?

Dan

Barry Eller
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Your pipes are damp not dry:wink: You might as well try the flappers unless there is a down side I don't know about. The worst that could happen is they melt, right?
Dan

Damp? Is that some kind of sexual reference?:wink:
I'll try them. I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning!

Come get my truck anytime today to tow the Pantera to the launch ramp. The Dilithium Crystals in your Pathfinder can't take anymore Captain!

Denise gets to pull the chain on the hoist Sunday while I guide the 502 into place...it makes her feel like she contributed to the work on Yip!

How many marinas do you think we will be kicked out of with our loud boats? I can't wait to back into a slip at Peg Leg Pete's for dinner!

Barry Eller
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Todays progress. 502 is back in. One Gil exhaust installed. I have had to file the hole in the transom at an angle for the pipe to fit. I have a problem with the water inlet. No clearance to my alternator. I'm going to check with a machine shop tomorrow and see if they can make me a fitting with a 90 degree turn. Long day...mowed my lawn and my mothers...weed and feed... primed two in ground sprinkler pumps...installed the boat motor...time for a drink!:drinkbeer:

The Hedgehog
03-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Todays progress. 502 is back in. One Gil exhaust installed. I have had to file the hole in the transom at an angle for the pipe to fit. I have a problem with the water inlet. No clearance to my alternator. I'm going to check with a machine shop tomorrow and see if they can make me a fitting with a 90 degree turn. Long day...mowed my lawn and my mothers...weed and feed... primed two in ground sprinkler pumps...installed the boat motor...time for a drink!:drinkbeer:

That setup is looking mean. I know that you can't wait to get it on the water. You should feel very important with those pipes:wink: I would!

VetteLT193
03-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I wish I got to this thread earlier. I have a set of Gil's in my garage custom setup for a 22 classic with the dumps past the transom so you don't have to drill any extra holes. With that setup you can go back to stock (or other) easily if you want to.

If you haven't run dry before, you may wind up going to something else. My Bro's 22 had the dry Gil setup and they are LOUD. they do sound awesome though.

They are loud enough that when he went to a restaurant for lunch he had a large group of people clapping when he shut the engine off, thanking him for shutting it off... not because they liked the sound.

If you haven't popped holes in the transom yet, I suggest running temporary hoses first and testing it before drilling just to make sure you can stand it. this is not for the timid :)

Barry Eller
03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
I wish I got to this thread earlier. I have a set of Gil's in my garage custom setup for a 22 classic with the dumps past the transom so you don't have to drill any extra holes. With that setup you can go back to stock (or other) easily if you want to.
If you haven't run dry before, you may wind up going to something else. My Bro's 22 had the dry Gil setup and they are LOUD. they do sound awesome though.
They are loud enough that when he went to a restaurant for lunch he had a large group of people clapping when he shut the engine off, thanking him for shutting it off... not because they liked the sound.
If you haven't popped holes in the transom yet, I suggest running temporary hoses first and testing it before drilling just to make sure you can stand it. this is not for the timid :)

I've never been referred to as "Timid" before.

I have heard these pipes before. They came off my buddy (p729lws) Dan's 22. He sold his Donzi without power and put his mill in a 28' Pantera. It came with a Stainless Marine Dry pipe setup.

I am going to dump the water out the sides of the boat, not the transom. The starboard dump will be next to the bilge dump.

As far as causing people to applaud when you shut your engine down, I think using a little judgement, not revving the engine or letting it run at the dock for long periods of time will keep me from getting shot.

BigGrizzly
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
those water pipes do exit out the back as does the water, its not that loud when he came up here for a prop it wasn't bad at all.

VetteLT193
04-01-2008, 07:30 AM
I've never been referred to as "Timid" before.
I have heard these pipes before. They came off my buddy (p729lws) Dan's 22. He sold his Donzi without power and put his mill in a 28' Pantera. It came with a Stainless Marine Dry pipe setup.
I am going to dump the water out the sides of the boat, not the transom. The starboard dump will be next to the bilge dump.
As far as causing people to applaud when you shut your engine down, I think using a little judgement, not revving the engine or letting it run at the dock for long periods of time will keep me from getting shot.

I'm glad you have already heard them.

I assure you my brother didn't rev, and didn't dilly dally around the dock. It was just really loud. It could be a combo of the engine setup and exhaust though. I think it is the best sounding exhaust available, others didn't agree:)

Barry Eller
04-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Its always one thing or another...I had to elongate the transom exhaust holes to get the pipes to fit. I used a drill with drum sander to do it. I will get a local metal fabrication shop to make SS plates to cover the hole and screw my gaskets and trim rings to the new plate. I am going to use resin to seal the exposed wood in the transom holes.

My alternator hits the manifold on the port side. I have a Revolution Marine power steering and alternator bracket. I ordered a new bracket that was supposed to fit and clear the manifold...it is exactly like the one I already have.

I found a separate low mount alternator bracket from Summit Racing. Ordered it last night.

That will buy me time to get all the "Sawdust" out of the engine bay!