PDA

View Full Version : 07-08 FJ Crusier

Last Real Texan
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Thinking of it for second car to knock around with....I have a 1 ton Dually and it is eating me a live with diesel fuel$$$$$$$$$$$$
Need something else to drive when not working or towing,

Give it to me, the good the bad and the ugly......
Any expeience with this model?

Tex

BUIZILLA
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
the ugly...... well, you got this part right.. :popcorn:

SilverBack
03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know much about them but they look pretty good to me!!

mjw930
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
If you are looking for something to save gas money on I wouldn't be looking at a truck, SUV or crossover. Find a mid size car that gets 20+ around the city and 30+ on the highway. The FJ is a 16/20 mph vehicle, probably closer to the 16 than the 20......

zedohsix
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I have an 07, love it, milage may not be great but better than what you have, got a stick and its just fun to drive, holds the road well, great on highway, blind spots in the rear so little convex mirrors are required
Good luck

zelatore
03-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Last year we 'briefly' toyed with the idea of getting one. I do like the retro look of the thing and its off-road capacity, but that turned out to be it's only redeeming quality.

I drove one, a V6 manual 4wd, and hated it. Even with no load, I didn't think it would ever achieve freeway speed, and it sounded like it was going to keel over and die trying to get there. The real deal killer for me was that it has no tow rating (I was thinking I could replace my truck with it and get a fun to drive car) but I doubt that would be a problem for you as it sounds like you would keep your truck.

I fully agree with the comments above - if you want something practical that gets decent fuel mileage and is somewhat fun to drive, you want a small to mid-size sedan.

For example, I used to have a '99 Saab 900 turbo. As a 4-door hatch back it was more versatile than any sedan and half the 'crossovers' out there - heck, that thing once swallowed a washing machine, a 6' shelf, 2 bags of mulch, and a couple boxes of other junk on a single trip to Home Depot. With the hatch closed. It got good mileage; about 26 average, and was surprisingly fast. It certainly had it's drawbacks - fwd being the main problem, along with some turbo lag, but it did the job well without being a 'me too' car.

Of course, GM has sucked all the personality out of Saab now, so the hatch is gone, along with any small interest I still had in them.

I don’t know if you want/need rwd, fwd, or awd, or if 'fun to drive', practicality, or not seeing yourself on every corner are important to you other than just mileage. Lay out a little more about what you want and I'm sure plenty of people here will lob some ideas at you.

yeller
03-11-2008, 11:02 AM
...and the ugly......

well, you got this part right.. :popcorn:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I think they look great and want one. My wife hates it......so I guess I don't get one. :wink: