PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift Bunks too narrow

SMLAKER
03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
The bunks on my lift do not seem to fit the chines on my hull resulting in a lopsided boat on the lift. Are there any products that mount to existing bunks that will help this? The bunks are not adjustable.

Thanks

vonkamp
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Are the bunks mounted on "I" beams? If you could post some pic's of your setup it would be easier to assess.

mjw930
03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Most lifts bolt the bunk holders to the I-Beams. They don't look adjustable in the same sense as a trailer but they are.

Some are as simple as unbolting, moving to the new location, drilling new holes in the I-Beam and bolting them down.

Others have flange bolts that capture the top of the I-Beam so all you need to do is loosen the bolts and slide the bunk holder to it's new location.

What brand is the lift and who installed it? Usually you can get the dealer / installer to re-adjust them for a nominal cost.

SMLAKER
03-11-2008, 07:57 AM
I'll take a picture as soon as I can but I'm almost positive the bunk holders are welded to the I-beams. It will be a couple of weeks before I get back to the lake but if anyone knows of any products to help...I've looked all over :nilly:. Even thought of buying parts from
EZ-Loader to build a new cradle.

SMLAKER
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Came up with my own design. Bought 8 zinc coated t-hinges that I'll use to attach 2 (ea) new bunk toppers (2x6 pt carpeted) to each existing bunk. Each bunk topper will pivot on the hinge and compensate for the different hull angles in the front and rear. Basic illustration below:

osur866
03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
What kina of lift are you dealing with brand?

SMLDONZI
03-12-2008, 04:07 PM
SMLaker, Assuming you have a lift like mine, you could shift your bunks in or out laterally by using longer bolts and inserting wood shims in between your bunks and the vertical holders that the bunks mount to. By the way, are you doing the SML Poker Run in May?

SMLAKER
03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I think I'll try the hinged boards as this seems like the easiest retro-fit to the existing bunks. I probably don't even have to get wet. I'll be at Moosies Friday night and Mangos Saturday before noon (depending on how things go at Moosies friday night :-). Look for a Wellcraft Excalibur named "Total Kaos". This will be my first poker run on water. All the other poker runs have been on two wheels.

SMLDONZI
03-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Smlaker, Cool, I'll keep an eye out. I've got a white and yellow Donzi 18 classic.

SMLAKER
03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Smlaker, Cool, I'll keep an eye out. I've got a white and yellow Donzi 18 classic.

sent you a pm