PDA

View Full Version : 67 classic 18 gas tank

ethyl
03-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I crawled under the foredeck today as I have been considering removing the deck and replacing the gas tank. The tank that is currently in place is aluminum, it looks like it is the correct shape (according to the drawings that I have seen) and has loose pieces of styrofoam wedged along the sides. The tank is mobile and is not secured to the stringers. The label indicates that it was made by Florida Marine Tanks, Inc. I'm wondering if this is a replacement or original, if I should still replace and if I should secure it to the stringers as it has drilled tabs that I can get to. Also I am wondering if glassed -in vertical supports on the inside of the hull sides would reduce flex of the sides in rough water. Thanks in advance for any input. ethyl.:germany:

MOP
03-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Being a 67 I am not sure if it came with an aluminum tank, many of that vintage had tern steel tanks. There is a chance it has already been replaced. There are quite a few thoughts on mounting, seeing guys using come along's and more to get stock tanks out makes me more then confident in foam. It may have been replaced and the job just was not done well. There are a few old timers up here that will know for sure when Florida Marine started to do the Donzi tanks.

Phil

penbroke
03-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds like it has already been changed. It should have had a tern tank as MOP said. Look for a date of manufacture on the label. They usually have one.

Regardless of which mounting method you might prefer, loose is NOT an option.

Frank

ethyl
03-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Phil and Frank, thanks for your information. I guess I,m glad the tank probably has been replaced but will secure and foam sides as well as possible. Best regards, John.