PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of trim tabs

farmer tx
03-06-2008, 10:49 PM
RT-SE and I talked to M.J.Thomas at the Miami Boat Show and they had the next generation Bennett trim tab on display. He lead us to believe that a smaller version of this tab system could be in the works for the smaller power boats. Maybe if we showed them the interest for these new tabs they will move on it. I know I would be interested in a pair, they were REAL nice!

cutwater
03-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Compact and understated. If it works (and it's not way up there in $$$), I like it a lot.

My questions would be 1) is it backward-compatible with the standard bennett pump & 2) does it use the same tab plate screw pattern? Thanks for the pics TX.

roadtrip se
03-07-2008, 09:48 AM
The ram system wasn't that much different from what we typically see on the back of our Classics.

We put the request in for reverse compatability for the plates only.

Bennett said that it wouldn't be too hard to do this.

Anybody else interested?

mjw930
03-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't really see the advantage of changing. If you are going to change then I would go the the Lenco tabs, they have a retrofit kit for Bennett or just replace them with these.

http://www.lencomarine.com/high_performance_pgs/Resources/singleahighperf.gif

roadtrip se
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
That picture reminds me of an old expression about polishing a turd..

Right?

BUIZILLA
03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
is the upper 3 bolt ram mount base identical pattern to the plastic mount base??

cutwater
03-07-2008, 12:09 PM
That picture reminds me of an old expression about polishing a turd..

I don't know... I think the new Bennett's could be a nice low-cost replacement for those of us who don't have really hi-performance setups. I'm running a stock Minx, these should be adequate, and probably wouldn't cost big $$$$ like other setups.

MOP
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
For those of you not in the know, Lemcos die early in salt. All off the used to be distributors up by me on Long Island have dropped them, they just do not hold up! They seem to do Ok in fresh water.

Phil

mjw930
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't know about being in the know but I ran them for 4 years in nothing but salt without a single problem.......

They also come as factory options on a lot of salt water fishing boats so maybe they got their problems sorted out, who knows?

As far as beauty, that's in the eye of the beholder. I agree they aren't the prettiest in the bunch but they are a heck of a lot stronger than the Bennetts.

VetteLT193
03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
What's wrong with the original bennett tabs? They have been the most reliable working part on every boat I've had. Am I just the lucky one of the group?

mjw930
03-07-2008, 05:12 PM
What's wrong with the original bennett tabs? They have been the most reliable working part on every boat I've had. Am I just the lucky one of the group?

Actually nothing, I just think some people are looking for a little more "bling" :D

cutwater
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I wasn't referring to the Bennett's...

Got ya... I'm definitely not 'in the know' about tabs :wink: