PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell DACA June 18th-22nd 2008

farmer tx
03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Rick SE, Haven't heard from you lately, hope all is well. Will the recent flushing of the Grand Canyon have any effect on the water level of Lake Powell for the early summer rally? Any more news of the Castle Rock cut being open by June?

RickSE
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Been a busy winter. We're currently in Telluride checking out the snow-pack for Powell.:wink:

The flushing lowered the lake 3-4 feet but shouldn't have much effect in the end. Predictions are that the lake will rise about 40' this season. Last I heard the high lake level prediction was around 3630-3640'. I think we got to 3615' last year. The Castle Rock Cut opens at 3620' with no dredging so it should be open by June with or without dredging. There's still no answer on the dredging; supposed to know by April. wayneswords.com still says it's gonna happen, but it needs to happen before the water comes up. The snow-pack above Powell has been 125-150% all winter. Been a great winter here in Flag; we've been skiing almost every weekend.

yeller
03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Rick, good to see you're alive. I was going to call you this weekend to see if everything was ok, because you've been absent for long.

Sure looking forward to Powell. I can use a shot of hot weather right about now. :)

RickSE
03-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Yeller,

Life has thrown us some curves but we're good.

I assume we'll have a light attendence again this year but I'm going to try and set up a discounted group rate again at the Wahweap Resort. If I can I'll do 10-rooms again for the weekend, June 19th-23rd. I'll check back in and let you know what I find out.

farmer tx
03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
That would be a good idea. If the cut is open than that would be the place to stay. With the price of fuel a houseboat could get kind of pricey.

yeller
03-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't know if we'll fill 10 rooms this year. Should be no problem, but seems westerners don't like to travel much. :confused:
I was planning on staying in town this time. The Waheep's in the best location, but I can't keep up with the rest of you and am usually ready for bed after a day on the water, so we don't really get to enjoy the amenities. (I'm old before my time :(). Besides, I wasn't overly impressed with the hotel. Our room/area was kind of run down.
If the cut's open, I'll launch at Waheep. If it's closed I'll launch further down the narrows.
Rick, do you have any idea what the proceedure is regarding mussels for Mead, Havasu and Powell? We're going to all 3 and wondering if we have to powerwash before each lake.

Donziweasel
03-22-2008, 02:25 PM
The latest prediction is 49 ft gain by mid-July. Currently 3590, full is 3700 and predicted filled level in July-3639. Hell, only 60 ft from full. Not bad in one year. get another one like this one and we'll be full next year.

Cuda
03-22-2008, 03:43 PM
What does DACA stand for?

RickSE
03-22-2008, 05:55 PM
...Rick, do you have any idea what the proceedure is regarding mussels for Mead, Havasu and Powell? We're going to all 3 and wondering if we have to powerwash before each lake.

As far as I know the mussels are in both Mead & Havasu so there is no procedure at those lakes. California is inspecting and decontaminating boats coming into the state from AZ though if you happen to go that way after AZ.

Late last season they did find mussel larvae in Powell. The inspection and wash-down procedure was still in place though at the end of the season. I'm not sure what they'll do this year but the previous procedure was, if the boat comes out of contaminated water it must be washed and dried for 5-days for no issues; if this can't happen then they'll decontaminate the boat. They have a $1-million dollar, drive-on, boat & trailer decontamination machine that sprays scalding hot water on the boat and trailer from underneath while they circulate hot water through the drive & motor. Last year the wash was free but they were talking about possibly having to charge for the wash. Again though larvae are in the lake so they may give up all together. The Antelope Marina gate keepers wern't very thorough last year. :(

Cuda, Donzi Addicts, something, something. It came out of the first Powell meet.

farmer tx
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
On top

DONZI ADDICTION COUNCILORS ASSOCIATION

It's the group name we reserve our rooms under.

RetroBoats
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
How many folks have committed to going so far ?? 18th is on a Wednesday....do folks show up just for the weekend ??

farmer tx
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
RetroB, Yes some show for the weekend, some come early and leave early. We try to get there as early as we can and take a day or two and cruise some of our favorite canyons. Usually by the last of June I really need a number of days off to relax. If most everyone stays at Wahwheap you know when people arrive.

By the way welcome to donzi.net

Mark

RetroBoats
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm in Phoenix and would like to try and make it for a three day weekend.

DonCig
03-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Mark, Susan and I will be there. Should we bring Hickory or Mesquite?
The people in Kentucky want to know.....

We will definately have our thumbs out on the water though.

Don

yeller
04-02-2008, 06:35 PM
There'll always be room in my boat if you need a spot Don.

Are you going to drive or fly in? If it's going to be a hassle to bring my prop, let me know and I'll send you some $ for shipping.

Donzi5150
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Can someone provide details of this gathering for a new west coast but not new Donzi owner who would like to meet up and share the passion.....thanks

yeller
04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey Donzi5150, welcome to the board!
EDIT: Just noticed your join date of 2004. Well, with 17 posts in 4yrs, I guess you can still be considered a newcomer. :wink::biggrin.:

There really isn't any structure to this event. It's just a date for us to get together.
18th is the 'offical' start date, but some come sooner and some later. I can't give you an exact time and place to meet, because there really isn't one. As it gets closer, I'm sure you can get someones cell # to make sure you hook up with us. I'd give you mine, but it doesn't work in that area. Me...I'm just going to show up early morning at the Wahweap(sp?) boat launch and I know I'll run into someone.
Do you have a boat you're bringing....doesn't have to be a Donzi. Reason I ask....and I honestly don't want to be discouraging....but I'm not sure how many boats will be there. The ones that are going for sure are usually full (at least when I went 2yrs ago). I have an empty back seat, but I've already offered that to DonCig. If he ends up bringing a boat, or finds another ride, then by all means, it's open for anyone. Anyway...as I said, I don't want to discourage anyone from attending....I'm just not sure how many empty seats there are.

RickSE
04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I just sent in a request for pricing and availability at the Wahweap Resort. As in 2006, we'd have to book 10-rooms to get the group rate. I believe we ended up with only 9 booked rooms in 06' though and they still seemed to have given us the rate. I've requested 10-rooms, June 18th through June 23rd. I'll let you know what they say.

BTW, the Castle Rock Cut dredge project is now on hold and will not happen this year. The cut is still supposed to be open though by mid June. The National Parks Service has a 5-year contract with the Army Corps to dredge the cut so they still may do it in the future if needed. I think it came down to money & expense in the end.

I'll work on the structure part for this event. 2-years ago we met at the Wahweap Resort parking lot every morning. We all stayed at the resort so we just rolled out of bed and took off. Last year we were all in a houseboat so again we just rolled out of bed and took off. Sounds like we may be a little more spread out this year but I'd assume we may do the same as in 2006, met at the Wahweap ramp and take off for the day.

Anyone and everyone who can or is interested please come, you won't regret it.

RickSE
04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
The response back from Wahweap Resort on the group rate is,

$139/night for standard room
$149/night for lakeview room

Hotels.com is saying their regular rate for a standard room is $121 Wed., $134 Thurs., $149 Sat./Sun., for a $138/night average. :bonk:

Looks like some of the other hotels up in town are $54-$199/night. Motel-6 is $54/night, Marriott is $139/night.

Camping on Lone Rock Beach is $10/night & there are showers at the Wahweap Dock. :)

Any thoughts? I know Yeller was talking about staying up in town and I think farmerTX mentioned staying @ Wahweap.

farmer tx
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Rick, Those prices seem to be about what we payed last year in June and July. A room at Wahweap is a small price to pay so as my significant other is comfortable. They have a nice restaurant, gift shop, pizza place and air conditioning, all the things she requires.:doh:

patolucas962000
04-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I have for some reason forgotten about checking in....:boggled:

Guess if I want to know what we're all signing up for I need to check the posts....With so much going on lately, we forget what the others are doing....Now I know and can't wait for it to get here. Of course, I will be busy with coaching soccer, taekwondo, work, etc. but we won't be missing this....

Kaelan our son for those that don't already know got his first degree black belt in taekwondo and I received my black belt in Superfoot by Bill Wallace. It was an extreme test!!! Glad we survived!!!

Mom-in-law is doing well and just trying to stay on top of everything - it's a lot of work!

See ya all there!:boat:

zelatore
04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm about 50-50 right now. I want to go, it's just trying to fit it into the schedule that's difficult. :(

farmer tx
04-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Patty, Give my congratulations to Kaelan on the black belt. Glad to here you are surviving, caregiving can really wear you down. Good luck with soccer also. Hope to see all of y'all at Lake Powell.

Mark & Polly

patolucas962000
04-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks Mark, I will let Kaelan know. Here is the shot of him with Master Ginter. The picture of Elizabeth in the air is her last belt test, she is high brown now. In the picture she was doing her "spin jump hook kick", she is pretty good. In October of 2009 she will be ready to test for the "jr" black belt (no degree due to her age).

We look forward to seeing you up at Powell

Patti

Donzi5150
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I usually hang out on the Hotboat site but I visit here often looking for parts and seeing if there is anything going on out on the west coast........Yes I have a Donzi, hence the name Donzi5150, the picture accross my dash......my second 18 Classic. I did most of my boating in the panhandle of Florida and Louisiana but with recent transfers it has been hard for me to find like minded(Donzi) people. I am going to put the dates on the calender and try and make it......thanks for keeping me posted.

Hey Donzi5150, welcome to the board!
EDIT: Just noticed your join date of 2004. Well, with 17 posts in 4yrs, I guess you can still be considered a newcomer. :wink::biggrin.:

There really isn't any structure to this event. It's just a date for us to get together.
18th is the 'offical' start date, but some come sooner and some later. I can't give you an exact time and place to meet, because there really isn't one. As it gets closer, I'm sure you can get someones cell # to make sure you hook up with us. I'd give you mine, but it doesn't work in that area. Me...I'm just going to show up early morning at the Wahweap(sp?) boat launch and I know I'll run into someone.
Do you have a boat you're bringing....doesn't have to be a Donzi. Reason I ask....and I honestly don't want to be discouraging....but I'm not sure how many boats will be there. The ones that are going for sure are usually full (at least when I went 2yrs ago). I have an empty back seat, but I've already offered that to DonCig. If he ends up bringing a boat, or finds another ride, then by all means, it's open for anyone. Anyway...as I said, I don't want to discourage anyone from attending....I'm just not sure how many empty seats there are.

RickSE
04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
...has been hard for me to find like minded(Donzi) people. ...

You found them. Hope you can make it.

For those who are a little newer to the board, here is some of the old posts on Powell. We also have lots of photos in the Photo Galleries.

DACA @ Powell 2006 Main Thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45392)
DACA @ Powell 2006 Post-Event Thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45392)
DACA 2006 Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCT-GEKQbNU)
DACA @ Powell 2007 Main Thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47125)
DACA @ Powellfest 2007 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49570)

yeller
04-10-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm about 50-50 right now. I want to go, it's just trying to fit it into the schedule that's difficult. :(zelatore, you're mixed up. It's Powell you have to go to and everything else that has to fit the schedule. :yes:

I am going to put the dates on the calender and try and make it......thanks for keeping me posted.TRY TO MAKE IT....TRY TO MAKE IT????? If I can travel from Canada for this meeting, certainly you Cali's can make the short trip. :wink::biggrin.:

patolucas962000
04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
It sure would be cool to have a swarm of DONZI's at Powell, the lakes so big you hardly notice. Come on and lets occupy some SPACE!!! :drive:

Hope to see a lot out there....

RickSE
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and request (10) blocked rooms at the Wahweap Resort. The rate is not spectacular and we may not get ten to reserve in the end but I'll do it anyway. I'll be back with info on the rooms.

Donzi5150, as you probably already know Hotboat.com is dead, :hangum:, so come hang out with us. :yes:

Donzi5150
04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and request (10) blocked rooms at the Wahweap Resort. The rate is not spectacular and we may not get ten in the end but I'll do it anyway. I'll be back with info on the rooms.

Donzi5150, as you probably already know Hotboat.com is dead, :hangum:, so come hang out with us. :yes:
I see that and I am here.......You will have to put up with my SEC dedication, Donzi affliction, beer drinking, fun and sun loving, ways..........I got the date on my calender....I would like to see the availability of the rooms or other options in the area.....what is the community/town close to where you all plan to get together?

RickSE
04-11-2008, 07:39 PM
The Wahweap Resort is an Aramark (lake concessionaire) run hotel at the Wahweap Marina/Ramp. This is on the south end of the lake. The hotel is not bad, older but convenient since the ramp is right next door, (2) restaurants & fuel. From Wahweap we usually head up lake (North) anywhere from 20-miles to 80-miles then return.

The town of Page, AZ is about 5-miles from the Wahweap Marina. Page has several hotel chains, good restaurants, fuel and a Super-Walmart. If anyone decides to stay in town I'd suggest sticking to one of the national chain hotels. My info on a quick search says,

Motel-6 $55/night
Super-8 $79/night
Best Western $120/night
Days Inn $120/night
Travel Lodge $80/night
Marriott $160/night
Quality Inn $95/night
Wahweap Resort $139 & $149/night

I just sent in the request to block the Wahweap rooms so I'll let you know once I get the info back on reserving.

As I mentioned before there is also beach camping available at Lone Rock Beach, $10/night & about 2-miles from Wahweap by water, and also RV Camping available at the top of the Wahweap ramp.

In 2006 we all pulled our boats out at night, left them in the parking lot then put them back in in the morning. There are overnight slips available if anyone wants to leave their boats in the water at Wahweap.

Here are some very helpful links,

Glen Canyon National Parks Site (http://www.nps.gov/glca/)
Waynes Words, local Powell Site (http://www.wayneswords.com/primative.htm)
Lake Powell Guide to bays and canyons (http://web.archive.org/web/20050606005309/www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)
Aramark's Lake Powell Site (http://web.archive.org/web/20050606005309/www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)

Hope this helps. As mentioned before you won't regret it if you come.

yeller
04-11-2008, 07:41 PM
.....what is the community/town close to where you all plan to get together?The town of Page is less than 10 minutes from Wahweap resort (I think it's now called Lake Powell resort) and launch. That's where everyone will end up meeting.

My wife will probably kill me for posting this publicly, but we'll probably stay at the Motel6. We just need a clean room to crash in.

Edit: I see RickSE answered as I was still typing :tongue:

RickSE
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
..My wife will probably kill me for posting this publicly, but we'll probably stay at the Motel6...

Motel-6 Rocks. I've never had a problem with them, well except for that one in TX; "what do you mean I can't check in at 5:30am" :doh:.

Donzi5150
04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
The town of Page is less than 10 minutes from Wahweap resort (I think it's now called Lake Powell resort) and launch. That's where everyone will end up meeting.

My wife will probably kill me for posting this publicly, but we'll probably stay at the Motel6. We just need a clean room to crash in.

Edit: I see RickSE answered as I was still typing :tongue:

In the past year postings somone provided earlier it looked like someone was renting a house boat and did an itenary as well as a listing of what food and supplies to bring for the group. Will that be happening this year also? The pictures looked great and the past trips looked like a great time.....my calender is very full but I have that weekend in so far.....I hope it reamins clear. Thanks for keeping me posted........

patolucas962000
04-30-2008, 12:29 AM
So Rick and I raced in the drags on the 19th of April and to our surprise, he got 2nd place (the smaller trophy) and I ended up with 1st place. We both raced in different categories, so it's not against each other. I'm the one in the picture, we didn't get his picture. It was a lot of fun and it's just another past time occupying our time before we hit the lake....:convertib:

Can't wait to hook up with everyone again:boat:

yeller
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Booked my hotels the other day. Spending a week in Vegas (and lake Mead) with a couple days in Havasu then arriving in Page Wednesday night. Staying in town, leaving Sunday night. We've a week to drive home, but still haven't decide where we'll go.

See ya at the ramp Thursday (19th) morning! :hyper:

zelatore
05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm _this_ close to getting the schedule cleared to go. Just one little trip to New York to reschedule, and we'll be there. :crossfing:

Now I guess I'd better get to work on the boat. Can't show up looking all scuzzy after being covered all winter...:wink:

zelatore
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I am IN!

Just got word last night we were able to reschedule a trip to NYC, so now it's just a matter of getting the boat cleaned up, replacing a sticky shift cable, and booking a room!

I'm exited about this - being out here on the west coast, I don't have much opportunity to get together with any of you guys. Given that last year's attempt to catch up with a few people at Tahoe was a bust, what's the head-count look like?

Looks like I'll probalby leave the Sacramento area early Wednesday morning and head back Sunday afternoon.

Hope to put some faces with the names.

:propeller::propeller::propeller:

yeller
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
That's good news zelatore. Glad you'll make it.

As it sits right now, I believe the following are in for sure:
RickSE
FarmerTX
patolucas962000
yeller
zelatore
DonCig (boatless)

yeller
05-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Apparently the marina guarantees that Castle Rock Cut will be open.

Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas Responds to Positive Snowpack Reports, Offers ''Cut Open Guarantee'' Package
PAGE, Ariz. -- February 11, 2008 -- In response to recent above-average snowpack reports, Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas, an ARAMARK-managed destination, announces a new “Cut Open Guarantee” package to encourage guests to book their houseboating vacations now in anticipation of the reopening of Castle Rock Cut due to increased lake levels this spring.

With the Castle Rock Cut open, a shorter and safer passage becomes available, saving boaters 12 miles of travel between Wahweap Marina and popular uplake destinations...

The “Cut Open Guarantee” package is available from 6/15/08 to 10/31/08...

And from another travel site:

Good news for boaters headed to Lake Powell this summer. Spring runoff is expected to open Castle Rock Cut by June 2008 and it is expected to remain open until 2010. Due to drought conditions Castle Rock Cut has not been usable since 2003. Boaters launching from Wahweap Marina or Lone Rock Beach save about 12 miles on the way to popular areas such as Rainbow Bridge, Padre Bay and Warm Creek Bay. Snowpack in the upper Colorado River basin is expected to give Lake Powell it’s highest level in years.

We can only hope. :crossfing:

Trueser
05-08-2008, 06:37 AM
I liked the 12 miles of choppy water myself...

RickSE
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry guys, been busy.

Laura at Wahweap emailed me back today about the rooms. She has 10-rooms blocked for us at Wahweap. If you're interested call,

Wahweap Group Reservations @ 1-800-341-8934 to book a room
Tell them you're with the DACA Group
$149/night for lake-view room

We'll stay at Wahweap and it sounds like Doncig & farmerTX will also be at this hotel. Assuming the "Cut" is open we'll probably meet in the Wahweap parking lot like we did the first year. Yeller's body count seems correct so far. I emailed Lowenski (AZ-16C) and Rob (AZ-18C) with dates and hotel info. I'll probably also open the invite up to some of the Hotboat guys from Powellfest.

Again I'll work on some type of an agenda and see what you think as we get closer. The bad news is that fuel at Dangling Rope is already @ $5.01/gallon :nilly:, (2) weeks before Memorial Day. I'll probably do like we did 2-years ago and fill up at night or in the morning on land. Maybe we can swing one excursion up-lake even if we have top off at Dangling Rope. I really liked the beach we stopped at during Powellfest last year @ mile-52 in Oak Creek Canyon.

As for the "Cut", WaynesWords.com (http://www.wayneswords.com/wwbbindex.htm) will be watching the "Cut" day by day until the water crosses. We just went through the driest March & April here in 111-years but the winter was good early on and up-north has still been getting weather. Last I heard the lake was coming up 1ft every 3-days. That number should really pick up here in May and early June.

zelatore
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Just booked my hotel - I'm at the Courtyard in Page, 18th - 22nd. I'll be leaving from the Sacramento area early on the 18th and should get in that night. It looks like about 820 miles +/-. I'll come south to Bakersfield, then I15 accross thru Vegas. Anybody along the way is welcome to join me.

yeller
05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
zelatore, if you can get out a day or two early we'll be in Havasu. Haven't yet decided which way we're going home, but we just might end up following you. Went through Sacramento on our way home 2yrs ago but didn't boat there. Heard a lot of good comments about the Delta and wouldn't mind trying it out.

yeller
05-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Hey Rick,
Do you know if Powell has the boat wash (for mussels) this year?
Cost?
Hours of operation?

Donziweasel
05-14-2008, 08:10 AM
I am out....bummer! Got a wedding in New York and I am in it. Would blow it off if I wasn't a groomsman. Drink one on me and please take lots of pics. Like to see what I am missing.:splat:

zelatore
05-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey Rick,
Cost?
Hours of operation?

Good question - I haven't had to deal with the mussel issue before. What's the situation there?

zelatore
05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I am out....bummer! Got a wedding in New York and I am in it. Would blow it off if I wasn't a groomsman. Drink one on me and please take lots of pics. Like to see what I am missing.:splat:

Come on - I managed to get my girlfriend's NE regional training confrence in NYC rescheduled for this trip. How hard can it be to move a wedding?

(says the single man:wink:)

I can tell you what you're missing out on - speed! Last week I delivered one of our yachts to Lake Tahoe - 6000 ft. I guessed at taking 2" out of the props, but still lost 500 RPM. Just imagine what your 16 would do down off that mountain you live on!

Of course if you did come I'd expect you to drive the Pinz just so we could get a look at it.

yeller
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
DW, that's too bad you can't make it. I was looking forward to meeting you. Hopefully another time.

I called the parks board and the wash stations are necessary if your coming from a mussel infested area. There are stations at Wahweap and Antelope and other areas (that we wouldn't be going to). They are open from 7am to 7pm. The person I talked to wasn't sure about the cost but she believes it was $25.

Even if you're not coming from an infested area, I hope everyone will wash their boats before leaving Powell.

I will be coming from Mead, Mohave and Havasu so a wash will be necessary. Not sure about Mohave and Havasu, but Mead is definately infested.

yeller
05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
OK, I've been making some more phone calls this morning....instead of working.

Some of you probably already know the boat cleaning procedure regarding mussels, but I didn't, and am just learning. Nasty creatures. I for one don't want to be responsible for helping to spread them.

So, in case it affects anyone else; Mead, Mohave and Havasu all have mussels. Other places as well I'm sure, but those are the 3 I asked about. If you're boating in any of those lakes (as well as Powell) you should take your boat to a decontamination station (wash station) before putting into any other body of water. If you can't take it to a wash station, the best solution is to make sure your boat is 100% dry inside and out for at least 5 days. If you can't wait 5 days you can clean your boat with a high pressure washer @ 140 DegF. A car wash is not considered acceptable because if it's not 140F then you may not kill the mussels and end up washing them into the water system.

zelatore, you might want to make note of this: Fish and Game set up random inspections in California and if they find any mussels on your boat, the boat is quarantined. Your allowed to continue on your way, but they hold your boat until they feel it is safe (probably up to 21 days).

Here's a Cali link on mussels: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/invasives/quaggamussel/

Sorry about rambling, but I knew almost nothing about mussels and just got my eyes opened this morning.

RickSE
05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey Rick,
Cost?
Hours of operation?

As you've already confirmed there are wash stations. The wash was still free last year but I'm not sure about this year. Here's the National Parks info, they make no mention of a fee. The new wash stations consist of a drive on spray bed that blasts the boat and trailer from below with hot water. I believe they also run hot water through your drive and cooling system.

National Parks Mussel Prevention Program (http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upload/Expanded%20Action%20Plan.pdf)

National Parks Certification Packet (http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upload/20080328%20self%20certification%20packet.pdf)

Yeller, what days will you be in Havasu?

zelator, let me know if you decide to come through Flagstaff. Also let me know if you need directions. We had directions to the lake up on the post for the first event 2-years ago that seemed to help a few who came in late at night. Getting to Page should be pretty easy though and you'll drive right past the Wahweap entrance if you come in on HWY89 from Kanab UT.

Sounds like Lowenski will be coming with his 16C and I believe Rob will be there for the weekend with his 18C. Titties & Beer from Powellfest says he'll meet us on the water for a day.

Here are the current Entrance Fees (http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/entrance-fee.htm), $15/week for tow vehicle & $16/week for boat. You can also get in with National Park Passes.

zelatore
05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
zelatore, if you can get out a day or two early we'll be in Havasu. Haven't yet decided which way we're going home, but we just might end up following you. Went through Sacramento on our way home 2yrs ago but didn't boat there. Heard a lot of good comments about the Delta and wouldn't mind trying it out.

Can't make it any earlier - too much time away from the office causes all sorts of havic and I've already got some time off scheduled for day with the BMW club at Laguna Seca that month.

I'm planning to head out from Powell Sunday afternoon then take Monday to recover from the road trip before heading back to work. I'd be glad to splash the boat in the delta and do a little running around if you'd like. I live in a little river town called Walnut Grove, about 30 miles down-river of Sac. The delta isn't exactly the keys or anything, but it's worth checking out.

Heck, I'll take you to lunch at Foster's Big Horn in Rio Vista - not for vegaterians (google it)

thriller
05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Fond memories and it is a Must see for anyone on the fence. Too far for me with another little 6 month old and 1 two year old. Maybe in another couple years:crossfing:
Have Fun!!!
Mike and Christine,Braeden,Katie,Raeya

zelatore
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
zelator, let me know if you decide to come through Flagstaff. Also let me know if you need directions.

I let google map it for me and they've got me coming in through Vegas on 15, then on through Kanab on 89. Any reason I'd want to swing south through Flagstaff? Looks like it adds about 60 miles, but it's an easier shot into Page.

yeller
05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Rick, I'll be in Havasu on 16/17. Going to head to Powell on the 18. Glad to hear Lowenski is going. Will Barb be with him?
What does T&B have for a boat?

zelatore, lunch sounds good. I love river running and the wife loves stopping for food and drinks on the water, so it sounds like a good place for us. Won't know for sure which way were going until we're ready to leave Powell. We have until the following Sat to get home and haven't made any plans so we can cruise home at our leisure.

RickSE
05-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I... Any reason I'd want to swing south through Flagstaff? Looks like it adds about 60 miles, but it's an easier shot into Page.

No, it's probably easier to go through Vegas & Kanab then through Flagstaff. Once you get off of I-15 in Utah it'll be a fairly isolated drive all the way over to Page, just look out for deer on Hwy-89 between Kanab & Page. I can't remember though if it's best to stay on Hwy-9 or turn south on Hwy-59 at Hurricane. For some reason I'm thinking you want Hwy-59 to avoid going through Zion National Park. Maybe someone here can remember.

Yeller, I'll see if I can come over and join you for a day at Havasu. I haven't asked about Barb yet, I'm assuming she is. I think T&B has a 25' Nordic. He's one of the local Powellfest organizers and a good guy. If he shows up then we may see some of the other local hotboat guys.

zelatore
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Looking at the google map at a fairly low zoom, I saw the road through the park was a bit jumbled-looking. This required a closer zoom - and then I saw it was really twisty with lots of hairpins and elevation change.

Normally, I'd home in that like flys on stink, but given that I'll be towing a boat behind a truck instead of driving the BMW or riding the Triumph, I thought it might not be the best way to go.

By the same token, I can plot a shorter (milage wise) route down there if I cut over the Sierras and through Yosemite then through southern NV, and it would be some excellent terrain for a bike or sport(ing) car. Just not the best way to make time or tow a trailer.

Plus, I'm not even sure if all the passes are open in the Sierra yet.

yeller
05-15-2008, 09:28 PM
zelatore, I was just googling my trip and it looks like Sacramento will be too far out of the way to follow you home. Too bad, I was looking forward to it. Plus I love dropping in Shasta lake as well. :( We hit Sac the last time because we were at Havasu after Powell, but seeing as we'll be heading home from Powell it's just too far. We'll be going through Salt Lake City instead.

Anyone ever boat there?

Rick, you should try and make Havasu. You can try out my 27" Q4. You shouldn't have a problem spinning it at that elevation.

I just worked out what my gas bill is going to be for this trip and *hit my pants. :eek: That's the last time I'll think about.........until the Visa bill. :nilly:

zelatore
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
zelatore, I was just googling my trip and it looks like Sacramento will be too far out of the way to follow you home. Too bad, I was looking forward to it. Plus I love dropping in Shasta lake as well. :( We hit Sac the last time because we were at Havasu after Powell, but seeing as we'll be heading home from Powell it's just too far. We'll be going through Salt Lake City instead.
Anyone ever boat there?
Rick, you should try and make Havasu. You can try out my 27" Q4. You shouldn't have a problem spinning it at that elevation.
I just worked out what my gas bill is going to be for this trip and *hit my pants. :eek: That's the last time I'll think about.........until the Visa bill. :nilly:

Too bad you can't come out and join us, but I'll probably need the day to unwind and get back to normal life before heading back to work anyway.

I don't think I'm driving as far as you, but I did a quick estimate on my fuel cost just for the truck and my best guess is this is what W. is sending out the stimulous package money for. Should just cover it... :smash:

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
You guys are killing me. Powell has got to be one of my favorite places on the planet. Just a bad year for me as I notonly have the wedding, but we are starting contruction on the Lazy P that week. Just promise me this will continue to be a annual thing as next year I am there! I would love to see more guys from the East coast go as Cumberland may be fun and pretty, but there is nothing like Lake Powell! Anyone heard from Tamm? Is he going?

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 03:11 PM
BACK IN! Wedding date was wrong, it is the weekend of the 5th! Yeah me! Now, I just have to convince Boo Boo, anyone want to talk to her for me?:eek!: I'm scared to.:hangum:

RickSE
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
... Anyone heard from Tamm? Is he going?

Yes Don is coming, talked to him last week, but probably boatless since his 22 is at the Ozarks. I certainly hope you can make it, be nice to meet you finally. Verdugo (Lowenski) says he's coming with his late 90's V-8 16C. I'm sure he'd like to have another 16 around, especially since we beat him up pretty good 2-years ago with all the 22's.

Do you want my wife to talk to your Boo Boo?

We have the potential now for,

(4) 22C's
(2) 18C's
(2) 16C's

What happened to donzi5150?

zelatore
05-16-2008, 03:47 PM
SWEET!

Hey, I got my girlfriend to move her whole north-east regional training for this, and now she's got to take a red-eye to the east coast the day after, then get back and have one day before she has to re-pack for a week-long trip on our Carver...you should have no problem with BooBoo.

zelatore
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
If they don't start showing more Donzi's at Awakening, us poor west-coasters are going to show them up! :eek!:

zelatore
05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
If they don't start showing more Donzi's at Awakening, us poor west-coasters are going to show them up! :eek!:

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Rick, don't mind running with the big dogs, just might have to wait for me occasionally. Interested in what my 16 will do down there. Nice to have another one there as well.

Zelator, promise to give me a ride in the 22. I have actually never been in one.

Boo Boo is sick today, might not be the best time to talk about it. Even if she doesn't want to go, I might come down solo. I think she will want to go though, she has always wanted to see Powell, especially after I yap about how cool it is. She has never been, I have been a couple of times.

zelatore
05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Heck, I'll let you drive the thing if you don't mind a little chine walking when you get up close to top end. I'm hoping a few of the other guys with 22's will give me a ride as well so I can feel some different props. I'm running my stock Mirage + and I know a lot of people on the board don't care much for the Mirage so this should be a chance to get a feel for some other stuff.

Gotta remember, I'm still relatively green on the Donzi front. I usually play with much bigger/slower stuff like the 59 I was working on today. I've only had my 22 since last spring.

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Back at ya- if you want to take a spin in the 16, be my guest. Should run in the low 60's down there. Wait till you hit 54, then you get some CHINE WALKIN'. My tabs calm it down though.

Yeller, where are you coming from? Going to be near me? If so, we could nose to tail down to Powell.

I'm coming, dead or alive. Might be dead after Boo Boo gets done with me, but at least I will be there!

Rick, although I heard the 16's got beat up, didn't Don's 18 do some beating of it's own?

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Got a little problem, check under performance talk, boat not running right. I know a lot of the guys who can help me are at AOTH.

RickSE
05-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Rick, don't mind running with the big dogs, just might have to wait for me occasionally. ...

We're not big dogs and will probably slow down this year due to fuel costs. Most of the time we seem to cruise in the 40-MPH range if not slower. I think we also do a pretty good job of keep an eye on everyone in the pack and haven't lost one yet, well at least not permanently.

...I know a lot of people on the board don't care much for the Mirage so this should be a chance to get a feel for some other stuff.

I still love my Mirage+ on Powell. It does a great job of picking the boat up and carrying it over the slop.

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 07:02 PM
I hears someone was "misplaced" for about 30 minutes!:doh:

Found a loose plug wire on the Donzi.

RickSE
05-16-2008, 07:05 PM
...Rick, although I heard the 16's got beat up, didn't Don's 18 do some beating of its own?

Don has had a different drive on the boat every time he's come down, so it always ran differently. He always held his own though in the 18. The 120+ mile round trip we did last year and the speed runs we did when fixing farmerTX's boat seemed to have had an effect on Don and his desire for comfort. 16's & 18's run fine on Powell but on a long day in rough water they'll wear you down a little. I forgot how fun the 18's were though until I drove Don's boat last year and it's been quite a few years since I was in a 16C.

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 07:22 PM
First- I spoke with Boo Boo and....................she said yes! Not only that, she is sycked because the 19th is her birthday and she thought that would be a great way to spend it!

Rick, I agree that Don's boat had many faces over the years. He tried to sell me the boat without the engine (and no drive, imagine that?), and although I loved it, couldn't afford it at the time. Glad he is coming. Get to see him this fall too as he drew an Elk tag and is coming to hunt with me.

What is the latest on rooms? Where is everyone staying?

Zelator, if I brought the Pinz, it might take me from the 18th to the 22nd to get there!:wink:

RickSE
05-16-2008, 07:22 PM
I hears someone was "misplaced" for about 30 minutes!:doh:
Found a loose plug wire on the Donzi.

We lost :nilly: Lowenski a few times the first year but always found him & Barb. :yes: The second time we lost him he slipped through a short cut so I missed him when I went back to look and didn't find him until I rejoined the pack at the stop point. Powell can be a little confusing since all the landmarks look the same, rock, another rock, but once you figure it out it's not too bad. I've been trying to teach Mark & Don the fundamental secret the last few years.

When heading up-lake, keep turning right.

Turn left when heading down-lake.

If you're running the channel, or think you are, and don't see a channel buoy... then you're not in the channel, turn around and head back the same way you came.

The fundamental thing I learned last year is, don't drive at night :shocking: unless you like stress, especially if you're heading 10-miles up a side canyon that keeps getting narrower and narrower. Don & Mark learned that not all channel buoys have lights.

RickSE
05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
What is the latest on rooms? Where is everyone staying?

So far, Don, Mark & I will be at the Wahweap Resort. Yeller @ Motel-6 & zelator @ Courtyard up in town.

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
still room at Waheap?

RickSE
05-16-2008, 08:23 PM
still room at Waheap?

Oh ya, we have 10-rooms blocked and need to get as close to 10 as we can to keep the rate.

Wahweap Group Reservations @ 1-800-341-8934 to book a room
Tell them you're with the DACA Group
$149/night for lake-view room

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I think we will stay there, unless Boo Boo wants a houseboat for her b-day. When I call to make the res, what do I tell them for the rate? DACA? Is there a bar there?:wink:

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Just talked to Boo Boo. She is into the Resort. I googled and it said the Lake Powell Resort (formerly Wahweap Resort). Same place? Looks perfect!

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Also, would some nice Elk steaks be a good addition? Antelope? Got enough for all one night if we are barbequeing. I thought I read something about Don bringing some charcoal. Let me know if any body wants or needs anything from Wyoming.

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Just talked to Don on the phone. I had no idea he was going to be at AOTH. Said he had a good day, spent it in a Blackwidow. I caught him at dinner and he said there were about 25 boats there. We are at 8-9, so for the 3rd Powell trip, I say us western folk are doing pretty good!

RickSE
05-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Wahweap is not spectacular, but also not bad. It is an older hotel but very convenient since its right next to the Wahweap ramp. There are some nicer and cheaper hotels in town but I'd rather stay by the water and not have to go in and out of the park every day.

Wahweap has a nice restaurant, bar, pizza joint, general store, on land & water gas station.

Tell them you're with the DACA Group.

We/I do need to work on an agenda. farmerTX had a good idea about doing a cook-out one night at the campground so any meat would be welcome.

Donziweasel
05-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Then consider the meat for the cook out on the Pearson's. We would be happy to bring a bunch of Elk and Antelope. Burgers, steaks and sausages. I like the cookout idea.

Rick, is it now called the Lake Powell Resort?-

http://www.lakepowell.com/lodging-food/lake-powell-resort.cfm

yeller
05-16-2008, 11:33 PM
DW, great news! Glad you're going to be there.
Won't be able hook up with you on the way down unless you want to leave 2 weeks early. Bobi and I will be in Vegas on 9th. Spend some money, drink lots...and oh ya, boat Lake Mead. Then Havasu on th 16/17 and head to Powell on the 18 (with a few hr stop at the Grand Canyon.

We may follow you part way home though. Not sure which way you'll go, but we'll be heading towards Salt Lake City.

Elk steaks sound great. Does anyone know if Wahweap has a BBQ area? We could fire 'em up after the days run.

If you really want to see how fast your boat is, you need to go to Havasu. Not sure of the elevation, but it has to be under 1000'. I think I heard Powell is still around 4000' (don't know for sure).

And yes, Wahweap is now Lake Powell Resort.
And....as you know, Don will be there.......he better be...he has a M+ for me. Have to try for the last mph....so I can stay ahead of Rick.

Donziweasel
05-17-2008, 07:44 AM
I'd like to get to Havasu one day. Still 3700 ft vs. 7100 is a big difference, about 12% more ponies at Powell.

We head back through SLC. Up I-15 to Idaho Falls and the cut to Jackson. It is only about 1 hour to get home from IF. If you want to stop for the night or even spend a few days here on some of our lakes, be my guest. You could even see Yellowstone.

zelatore
05-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Oops, I should have checked - I assumed Powell was closer to sea level. Other than Tahoe (6000 ft) I'm used to running in the delta. I might get to 15 ft by Sacramento...

Speaking of which, DW's little scare with his 16 has me worried about my own boat. Better take it for a run this morning. That explains why I'm up before 6:00 on a Saturday.

DW - you sort that thing out yet? I see you've been up and posting for at least an hour already :eek!: That's plenty of time to stick a hose on that thing and see if your plug wire solved it.

Hmmm...thinking of ditching the Courtyard and moving over to the resort. I only went with Courtyard because we had a ton of Marriot points from past travel to burn, but the rate seems decent at the Wahweep and it sounds like most of you are staying there.

Donziweasel
05-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Zelator- Haven't hooked it up yet, went to Park City today and got another Bronco for my project. Going to sort it out tommorrow.

Looks like the resort has everything we need, plus it is closer to the launch. Hmmmm.....should pack my bearings. 10 hour drive.

RickSE
05-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Powell elevation should be around 3,620 ft in June.

Havasu is at 400 ft.

Yes on the BBQ area. There is a campground just behind the hotel.

Again we pulled out every night the first year but overnight courtesy slips are available on the houseboat dock.

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Wonder what fuel prices are at Wahweap?

Feel sick today. Felt it coming on from Park City. Still going to try and sort out the Donzi. I should be able to hold it together for 15 minutes without barfing and be able to hook up the hose. If I feel better, will try and get it on the lake. I moved this spring and the launch is only 1/2 mile from my house.

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Found em'. $4.67 gallon. Be glad our Donzi's aren't diesel. Well north of $5.00.

zelatore
05-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Found em'. $4.67 gallon. Be glad our Donzi's aren't diesel. Well north of $5.00.

Not too bad. I paid about that for gas just south of Sacramento yesterday and most places on San Francisco bay are over $5.00 for gas now.

(not too bad he says to nearly $5.00/gallon...:eek!:)

Depending on what they charge to launch and how much we run (this isn't one of those east-coast run-15-minutes-a-day events, is it :wink:) it might be worth it fill up in town. I'm guessing from Thursday to Sunday I can run through close to 100 gallons-basically two tanks.

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 08:04 AM
When is everyone planning on being there? We were going to leave Wed morning and be there by dinner. Probably leave Sun morn to come home.

RickSE
05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow, Dangling Rope fuel actually came down, $4.92 now, it was $5.01 a few weeks ago. There's an on land fuel station at the top of the Wahweap ramp that's cheaper then the fuel on the water, maybe 10-20 cents above street price. Most of us filled up there last time. Occasionally on long trips up lake we'll top off at Dangling Rope.

We'll probably come up Wednesday evening.

Donziweasel, I think we've got the same sickness down here. Our kids went through it now my wife and I have it.

zelatore
05-18-2008, 11:45 AM
When is everyone planning on being there? We were going to leave Wed morning and be there by dinner. Probably leave Sun morn to come home.

I'm pretty much on the same schedule. We'll leave from the Sacramento area Wed. morning expecting to get in about 12 hrs later. That should give me just enough time to clean up the boat from the trip, unpack, get some sleep, then meet everybody at the ramp Thursday morning.

We'll head back sometime Sunday, probably no later than noon.

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Maybe we could meet for lunch in Salt Lake and then nose to tail it from there. I was going to leave at 7:00 or 8:00. Will put me in SLC at 11:00-12:00.

DonCig
05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow, Dangling Rope fuel actually came down, $4.92 now, it was $5.01 a few weeks ago. There's an on land fuel station at the top of the Wahweap ramp that's cheaper then the fuel on the water, maybe 10-20 cents above street price. Most of us filled up there last time. Occasionally on long trips up lake we'll top off at Dangling Rope.

We'll probably come up Wednesday evening.

Donziweasel, I think we've got the same sickness down here. Our kids went through it now my wife and I have it.

Same here, come in on Wednesday evening and head home Sunday morning.

DonCig & Susan

Donziweasel
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Rick, feeling a little better, but man was I sick. Bad stomach virus. Boo Boo had a serious cold w/sore throat.

Don, glad you had a good time at AOTH. Look foward to seeing you at Powell.

Anyone else going through Salt Lake City?

RickSE
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
...I called the parks board and the wash stations are necessary if your coming from a mussel infested area. There are stations at Wahweap and Antelope and other areas (that we wouldn't be going to). They are open from 7am to 7pm. The person I talked to wasn't sure about the cost but she believes it was $25...

This was just put up on a Wayneswords.com by Wayne (Utah Game & Fish),

$50/hour for boat decontamination.

Most boats can be done in 30 minutes so the cost is half that. There is a $25 dollar minimum.

We discussed after hours washing today and it was determined that anyone requiring a wash after 7 PM will be charged double to compensate the washer for overtime and call out after hours. We recommend that the boater wait until the next morning to get the required wash at the regular price.

Better yet get the boat decontaminated at the place of infestation and then dry it for 5 days before coming to Powell.

http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlpgeneral.pl?read=17365

zelatore
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I have no problem drying the boat for 5 days....but what do they need for a 'decontamination'?

I don't think we have the mussel probelm in the delta, but CA does have it in some places so I'm sure I'll have to jump through this particular hoop.

RickSE
05-20-2008, 04:48 PM
zelatore, as long as you're washed, drained and dry for 5-days you'll be fine. They'll ask you the questions from the certification sheet I posted on page-4. If you answer Yes, Yes, then you're good to go; Yes, No and you'll have to be decontaminated. I'm not aware of any other decontamination facilities here in AZ. If by chance you come in wet from contaminated water then I'd just let the Powell guys do the decontamination.

zelatore
05-20-2008, 05:49 PM
I ran the boat Saturday and washed it Sunday. Given my schedule, I probably won't even splash it again before I get to Powell. That more than covers my 5 days...still, I might go ahead and have them wash it if it's not too much hassel. $25 is a small price to ensure those things don't spread.

yeller
05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I've been told Mead has a wash station but that is the 1st place I'll be going to and then Nevada doesn't care if you go to Mohave or Havasu because they're already infected.

Drying for 5 days won't work when you're on a boating holiday. I'll definately have to wash at Powell, so I hope the line ups aren't too long.

On another note.....why does going to Powell always have to involve me buying another truck. :smash: Last time I went, I didn't trust my current ride so I ended up buying a temporary (just for the Powell trip) truck. Well 2yrs later I still have that temporary truck and now I don't trust it for the trip. Just got off the phone with a local dealer and looks as if I'm making a short trip to Lenny's neck of the woods to pick up a replacement tow vehicle.

Donziweasel, I told you I'd regret not buying your truck....:bonk:

zelatore
05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Hmmmm.....looks like we might not get Castle Rock Cut open in time. Right now it looks like we need another 15' of water and we're getting about a half-foot a day. Unless the run-off really kicks in we're going to come up a little short.

Of course, I know next to nothing about this really. I'm just going by what I see on Wayne's World.

:(

Last week we had triple-digit weather here on the coast - maybe by now it will have moved east far enough to create some serious run-off and bring the lake up!

RickSE
05-21-2008, 04:09 PM
...Unless the run-off really kicks in we're going to come up a little short...

It's up there in the Rockies, we just need the heat to melt it. It's cold here again and we're supposed to get 6-12" of snow here in Flagstaff by Saturday, >7,000'. The run-off should really start kicking in the next few weeks and we still have over 100% of average snow pack above the lake. I wouldn't be surprised to see +1'/day increases as soon as the heat returns.

If the Cut opens it'll be a fairly short, narrow, no wake, cross over to the Warm Creek side, but that's all we need. Man I can remember +5 years ago when the Cut was not a Cut, it was a 1/4 mile wide extension of the lake that everyone used. It sure will be nice to see it return.

So do you guys think we'll burn more fuel then the AOTH guys? :yes: I really thought they'd burn more; I can burn that much fuel and more in one day on Powell.

Guys & Gals, please let me know if there is anything on the lake you'd like to see. I'm trying to think of some neat places to go while you're here and would like to get a feel for an all day excursion up-lake, Oak Creek, San Juan Arm or Escalante Arm. This would end up being a >100 mile round trip day if you're interested.

Lake Powell Guide (http://web.archive.org/web/20050606005309/www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)

zelatore
05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
So do you guys think we'll burn more fuel then the AOTH guys? :yes: I really thought they'd burn more; I can burn that much fuel and more in one day on Powell.
Guys & Gals, please let me know if there is anything on the lake you'd like to see. I'm trying to think of some neat places to go while you're here and would like to get a feel for an all day excursion up-lake, Oak Creek, San Juan Arm or Escalante Arm. This would end up being a >100 mile round trip day if you're interested.
Lake Powell Guide (http://web.archive.org/web/20050606005309/www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)
Well, not that it's really something to brag about, but I don't think I'll have any problem putting 100 gallons through the 502. I like to cruise around 55-60 mph when I can...:wink: We'll see what the elevation does to that number.

As for destinations, I'll try to take a look at the link when I get a chance. I'd be in on an all-day run up the lake though. Sitting around at the sand bar is OK, but I'd rather be behind the wheel.:yes:

I'm about to drop off the radar until Tuesday. I'm getting ready for a company cruise up to Sacramento and we're leaving in the morning so no 'net for me until I get back next week.

Donziweasel
05-22-2008, 08:42 AM
I have never been to the Southern part of the Lake. We always put in at Bullfrog and went up the San Juan arm. I will say, even on busy days, get about 5-7 miles up the San Juan and you will not see another boat for 30+ miles.

Rick, you the man on the southern part of the lake.

Runoff has begun. Snake jumped from 5000 cfs to 17,000 cfs in 3 days. Lakes are coming up fast. Colorado in Utah above Powell was runnin 20,000 5 days ago, now 38,000. Not sure about the cut, but the lake should rise dramtically by the 18th. Typical western runoff peaks are around June 10-15.

I am not scared of a 100 mile run, just hope it doesn't get to rough in my little 16. Perhaps if any one has a seat or two, Boo Boo and I could leave the 16 at Wahweap for the day.

yeller
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Your 16 will do just fine. The only rough part is in the channel from Wahweap to the main lake and if the cut is open we'll be able to miss all that.

I don't think that lake blows up much, but Rick's the expert.

RickSE
05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
We've had relatively cool temperatures here for the past week but hang on; here comes the heat and the inflow. The snow pack above Powell is still at 117% of normal and we just past the 1'/day increase mark on Saturday. We're at 3,607' with inflow cfs above 60,000 so the Cut should be open in a little over a week. :nilly:

On a side note since we have a few new guys coming I need to again stress the importance of watching the water and the contour of the surrounding terrain on this lake. There’s a lot of open, deep, water but as with any lake there are also shallow spots that can ruin your day. As I've said before, if you hit something here it'll probably be a rock. There are spires and formations that stick up just under the surface 10-50 feet off the shore line. I know the lake fairly well but have scared the crap out of myself a few times. Use common sense on this lake, stay in the middle, follow the channel line, don't cut corners and watch for water color changes. There are some known areas to watch out for that I can worn you about but as the water comes up things change.

We're currently @ 7-boats.

RickSE 22C
Yeller 22C
farmerTX 22C
Doncig (boatless)
zelatore 22C
donziweasel 16C
verdugo 16C
Rob T. 18C

yeller
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
On a side note since we have a few new guys coming I need to again stress the importance of watching the water and the contour of the surrounding terrain on this lake. Also, I was not the only one that thought some of the bouy markings (ie: red vs green) seemed to be wrong. It is very, very easy to get disoriented on this lake. George and I got a little confused on direction once....and we had George's gps with us. Whenever I was unsure whether I was going or returning, I'd hug the bouy's just to be safe.

Also, if you're unsure of depth, do as I did..........follow Rick and let him hit the rock. :tooth:

zelatore
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm bringing my GPS since I've never been there.

I'm scared of rocks :eek!:

Out here the bottom's so soft if you step off you'll sink to your knees in mud! A few years ago my girlfriend ran our 32' Carver aground in the delta at about 20 knots. Other than throwing me down the stairs into the galley (and out cold for a couple minutes) the only damage was ego-based. I used the dink to row an anchor out to deeper water then waited for the tide to pick me up. Then ran another 3 hours home and hauled it the next day just to have a look. All good! I couldn't believe it! :propeller:

DonCig
05-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Also, I was not the only one that thought some of the bouy markings (ie: red vs green) seemed to be wrong. It is very, very easy to get disoriented on this lake. George and I got a little confused on direction once....and we had George's gps with us. Whenever I was unsure whether I was going or returning, I'd hug the bouy's just to be safe.

Also, if you're unsure of depth, do as I did..........follow Rick and let him hit the rock. :tooth:

I found that if you run at least 60mph the Buoys jump right out of the water at you in sequence; you do not have to wait for the next one to be visable. When running slower than that you have to wait for the next one to be visable. When my son and I did our 200 mile run one SUnday afternoon we discovered this little tidbit.

DonCig

zelatore
05-28-2008, 09:50 AM
But (Honey, officer, etc) we have to go this fast - it's a safety issue!

yeller
06-02-2008, 01:32 AM
5 more days until we leave!

Haven't even started the boat yet though. Nothing like leaving it down to the wire.

One more thing for those that haven't been to Powell in June. If you don't have a bimini or anchor shade, bring an umbrella. We didn't have anything last time we went and just about died when we stopped in the sun. Tossing a couple umbrella's in this time around.

zelatore
06-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Michele and I were just discussing temps there for June. She lived in Pheonix for a while and had a better idea what to expect than I do. She 'hoped' it wouldn't be 100...

On a positive note - the lake level is over 3610 - the cut is at 3615. Looks like it should be open but shallow when we're there. :propeller:

yeller
06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Michele and I were just discussing temps there for June. She lived in Pheonix for a while and had a better idea what to expect than I do. She 'hoped' it wouldn't be 100...
On a positive note - the lake level is over 3610 - the cut is at 3615. Looks like it should be open but shallow when we're there. :propeller:Not sure what temps were last year, but in 06 it was well over 100.

As long as there's 1" more than my drive needs, the cut's deep enough.

Donziweasel
06-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Might have a problem, Boo Boo might need surgery.:garfield:

zelatore
06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Might have a problem, Boo Boo might need surgery.:garfield:

:shocking: A problem indeed! Hope everything is OK!

BUIZILLA
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't know if it's a sign of the times or not, but virtually every day in the mail lately I get advertising proposals for resorts or destinations... today I got a Lake George proposal and a Lake Powell proposal.. the LP ad states to go to > www.visitlakepowell.com/makeplans they are offering 20% discounts on houseboats if you reserve by June 15th, or a FREE powerboat rental instead... thought this might help your wallets

yeller
06-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Hope everything is ok DW. Was really looking forward to meeting the two of you.

Donziweasel
06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Got bad news, I am out as of right now. We have to fly to Denver on the 16th for the surgery. Have to go back a month later for another round of surgery. Not life threatening at the moment, but somewhat serious. It's a woman thing that has to be removed.

Don, you going to be around on the 16th or will you have already headed for Powell? If you are around, I have some time to kill and maybe we can get together for a beer or something.

I can not tell you how depressed I am. Powell is one of my favorite places on earth.

There is still a slim chance. The hospital was supposed to call Boo Boo today and set up the surgery. They said yesterday that it might have to be the week after. If so, we will be there! Still haven't heard from them yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

Boo Boo
06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone! I am really sorry about having to miss our first "gathering" as John calls it. I feel really bad. John was so excited to meet everyone and he really does love Lake Powell. If the surgery is not scheduled to the week after, then we will come. It is actually the weekend of my birthday and I was excited to spend it at Lake Powell. I guess just stay tuned and John will let you know if we are on board or not.

RickSE
06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
OK, I'm reserved finally at Wahweap, 18th thru 22nd. I guess someone called just before I did but not sure who. They had to release our block of rooms since we're within 30-days of our visit. They said the 17th is tight but 18-22 is still looking good. I'd call in soon though if you're staying at Wahweap.

John & Boo Boo, hope things work out for you. We'd all like to see come down but take care of yourselves first; there will always be another trip.

BUIZILLA, so when am I picking you up at the airport? :wink: Cash that discount in on a Baja rental and come on over.

Temperatures on the water 2-years ago were in the 100-105 range. I'd expect about the same this year but hard to tell.

I'm still thinking about an agenda. I'd prefer to leave things fairly open but somewhat of a plan can't hurt.

Wed.
Blow the cob webs out of our pipes for those who get there earlier. I can come up anytime Wed. depending on when other's will be there. For those who are there we can meet for dinner and drinks either at Wahweap or up in town.

Thurs.
Meet at the Wahweap Ramp and spend some time on the south end of the lake. Head up to Navajo & Labyrinth Canyons (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20050831214519/www.elakepowell.com/freds/navajo.htm), check out the Powellfest beach. Labyrinth is a tight canyon that dwindles pretty quick, pretty cool though. Then maybe up to Cookie Jar where we camped last year and I'd like to see if you guys are interested in a slot canyon hike in Face Canyon (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20040603072214/www.elakepowell.com/freds/lastchan.htm). There are two really cool slot canyons in the back of Face that end in sandstone bowls, although access may be a little tough; I'll find out. Then maybe just chill in West Canyon (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20040611104319/www.elakepowell.com/freds/rockcree.htm), where we pulled up 2-years ago & ate lunch near the cliff wall. Head back and tool a little more down south. My buddies with the houseboat from 2-years ago will be on Lone Rock Beach (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20040623053626/www.elakepowell.com/freds/wahweap.htm) this time so maybe we'll stop by and visit with them or chill at the Wahweap Hotel beach. Grab some dinner.

Fri.
Meet at Wahweap and head up lake. Maybe up into Rock Creek Bay (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20040611104319/www.elakepowell.com/freds/rockcree.htm) and then push on to Dangling Rope Marina (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20050615012622/www.elakepowell.com/freds/dangling.htm). If you feel like going further we can hit Rainbow Bridge in Forbidding Canyon (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20040611064050/www.elakepowell.com/freds/rainbow.htm) and up around the corner to chill on the beach in Oak Canyon. There are also several cool small canyons in this area like Anasazi to explore. Head back and grab some dinner.

Sat.
Meet at Wahweap. Again if you guys and gals are interested I'd like to go up to Escalante (http://web.petabox.bibalex.org/web/20040611101802/www.elakepowell.com/freds/escalant.htm) and visit Cathedral in the Desert in Clear Creek and some of the other side canyons. The water level in June should be pretty good for us to get in to the back of Clear Creek to the waterfalls. If we do this it'll be an all day event. We need to stop at Dangling Rope Marina on the way up to top-off then head up. From Wahweap, up and back we'll probably cover 150 miles if you guys are up for it. I'd like to meet up again on Sat. night like we did the first year at the Dam Bar & Grille in Page.

Sun.
Wrap it up.

It may make more sense to swap Friday for Saturday if you guys want to do the long haul, may be less people in Clear Creek on Friday and we won't be worn out for Sat. night & Sun. travels.

I also like the idea of a BBQ Thurs. or Fri. night at Wahweap. Just everyone bring some fixings and dig in. There is also a good mexican restaurant in Page with margaritas that'll knock you on your behind.

Hope this helps. We'll refine this in the next week or so. Please feel free to comment.

Get ready to burn some fuel.

zelatore
06-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Don, you going to be around on the 16th or will you have already headed for Powell? If you are around, I have some time to kill and maybe we can get together for a beer or something.

Don? Me? Doncig? I'm confused:smash:

I don't know why that would have been directed at me, but just in case you were coming to the bay area for BooBoo's surgery, I'll be at work in Oakland on the 16th and 17th, then we'll drive back home the evening of the 17th and load the truck to head out for Powell early on the 18th.

:crossfing:Hopefully things work out and you two can come out and play! :crossfing:

zelatore
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
The schedule looks good to me. I'm pretty flexible.

The idea of a little hiking sounds good too - I know Michele would certainly be up for it as she's already been asking me about just that.

As for the longer runs - I say BRING IT ON! :propeller:

Donziweasel
06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Doncig.

DonCig
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Got bad news, I am out as of right now. We have to fly to Denver on the 16th for the surgery. Have to go back a month later for another round of surgery. Not life threatening at the moment, but somewhat serious. It's a woman thing that has to be removed.

I can not tell you how depressed I am. Powell is one of my favorite places on earth.

There is still a slim chance. The hospital was supposed to call Boo Boo today and set up the surgery. They said yesterday that it might have to be the week after. If so, we will be there! Still haven't heard from them yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

I will be in Denver on the 16th thru the 18th. Driving to Powell on the 19th.

DonCig

DonCig
06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
DW, great news! Glad you're going to be there.
Won't be able hook up with you on the way down unless you want to leave 2 weeks early. Bobi and I will be in Vegas on 9th. Spend some money, drink lots...and oh ya, boat Lake Mead. Then Havasu on th 16/17 and head to Powell on the 18 (with a few hr stop at the Grand Canyon.

We may follow you part way home though. Not sure which way you'll go, but we'll be heading towards Salt Lake City.

Elk steaks sound great. Does anyone know if Wahweap has a BBQ area? We could fire 'em up after the days run.

If you really want to see how fast your boat is, you need to go to Havasu. Not sure of the elevation, but it has to be under 1000'. I think I heard Powell is still around 4000' (don't know for sure).

And yes, Wahweap is now Lake Powell Resort.
And....as you know, Don will be there.......he better be...he has a M+ for me. Have to try for the last mph....so I can stay ahead of Rick.

Yep, I still have your prop. Been polishing it for months now.
I believe that I will have to charge you more for the prop now since it has been labbed....LOL (I thinned the blades with all of the polishing.)

DonCig

RickSE
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
My coworker just gave me the scoop on getting into the slot canyons in Face along with the one in Gunsight and Davis Gulch. Gunsight will probably be the easiest access but I know the main slot canyon in Face is pretty neat.

zelatore and others if you have them bring some good sandals or water shoes, like Teva's or Keen's, for walking on the sand and sandstone.

Don, I've still got your chair and totes from Powellfest that I'll bring up.

farmer tx
06-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Made my reservations at about 2:00 pm central. They said I was the first to reserve, anyone else comming besides Rick and us? They told me they had no rooms for the 17th so we will stay in Page that night. It's been between 99 and 103 degrees here so we are acclimated. Looking forward to some time off.

RickSE
06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
The Castle Rock Cut is supposed to cross/bridge tomorrow @ 3615' elevation. :crossfing: The lake is still going up about 1'/day.

RickSE
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
The guys on wayneswords.com are funny, shouldn't be that big of a deal but it is out here. The water on Castle Rock Cut has crosses. :yes::nilly::hyper::bighug::party::sombrero:

Pictures of crossing (http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=36776)

It's been 5-years since we crossed here and everyone's a little excited.

zelatore
06-06-2008, 01:22 PM
OK then! Another week and it should be navigable. Just look out for the scrub trees/bushes/whatever they are.

Do you think the Wayne's Word guys will have a contest to see who can be the first to get a boat through?

You could really stretch this out-
first meeting of the waters
first boat to actually float through (poled or walked)
first boat to go through under it's own power
first boat to bend a prop trying to get through under it's own power...

Hey, what's up with BooBoo? Any word DW? I've been gone for a few days playing with cars so I'm behind on my reading.

DonCig
06-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Made my reservations at about 2:00 pm central. They said I was the first to reserve, anyone else comming besides Rick and us? They told me they had no rooms for the 17th so we will stay in Page that night. It's been between 99 and 103 degrees here so we are acclimated. Looking forward to some time off.

Mark, I am going to Durango on business Wednesday and then will arrive into Page on Thursday afternoon.
Have a room booked at Wahweep Resort for Thurs, Fri. and Saturday nights.

Don & Sue

RickSE
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
The 10-day weather outlook is finally hitting our trip dates. So far,
Wednesday, high 94° low 65°
Thursday, high 91° low 62°
Friday, high 90° low 62°
Saturday, high 91° low 63°
Maybe we'll avoid the triple digits.
First Donzi through the Cut? Will probably be farmer tx

RickSE
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Here's a picture I posted previously with detail of the Wahweap area. More then likely we'll meet where we did 2-years ago, in the hotel parking lot behind the gas station. The gas station is at the top of the ramp on the left as you head towards the Wahweap Ramp.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15049&d=1127846421

RickSE
06-12-2008, 10:14 AM
The Cut is open and people are poking through, even houseboats. We're good to go and it should be 8'-10' deep by the time we get up there. Hard to imagine that all the rock you see in this picture used to be covered by 50' of water just 5-years ago. I've been updating the temperature post, a few posts back. We're still in the 90's.

zelatore
06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
<montyburnsvoice>
Exxxxcellet!
</montyburnsvoice>

DonCig
06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Can you say 99,99,99,99,99,97
Sunny,Sunny,Sunny,Sunny,Sunny,Sunny
Evenings; 70,70,70,70,70,69

That is the Yahoo weather forecast for lake Powell this week.

Yippie:wink:

zelatore
06-17-2008, 09:19 AM
And the clock is in final countdown!:hyper:

We've actually decided to leave tonight instead of early tomorrow to avoide driving accross the deseart in mid-day 110* heat. I had pictures of little bearing rollers screaming in protest...

So, finish up here at work around 5:30, get to the house about 7:30, eat, unload the work stuff and pack the Powell stuff...and we should be on the road by about 9-9:30. Figure I won't make it straight through without stopping for a nap (I'm not as young as once I was) and I should be there before noon tomorrow.

YooHoo!

RickSE
06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep, forcast seems to have gone up, Phoenix was 112 today.

We've had a crazy-crazy week and we're way behind, but we'll be there one way or the other, hopefully by early afternoon. We'll probably be packing until late tonight with a midnight trip to the grocery store.

Safe travels everyone.

zelatore
06-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Left the house about 9:30 last night. Stopped at a rest area about 120 mi west of Vegas just before dawn and got an hour or so of sleep, then pushed on. But I forgot the cardnial rule of road-trips: avoid small-town cops! I got busted going up-hill in Huricane by an unmarked Dodge Charger for 50 in a 40. Hmmm...think he saw a plate from 2 states over and decided it was easy pickings? Arrived in Page about 1:00 today, checked in to the hotel, grabbed a shower and had some lunch, then picked up some polish....a couple of the straps for the cover worked loose and chaifed against the boat. :mad:

We'll see you guys at the ramp in the morning!

RickSE
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
zelatore,

We're here along with farmer tx and ZX Guy. We'll be out in the Wahweap parking lot in the morning. Now I gotta see if I can get a hold of Yeller.

zelatore
06-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Guess what? The park service in Powel has a Donzi 26 CC with a pair of 225 eggbeaters hanging off the back.

Know what else? It's not as fast as a stock 502 22 classic.

Ask me how I know....:bonk:

Luckily, FarmerTX was fast enough to catch up to me and motion that I should look over my shoulder for the blue lights... No harm, no ticket, got a compliment from the ranger at the helm and was sent on my way. Figured I better fess up to this before the rest of the guys get to the board as I believe there is photographic evidence.

RickSE
06-20-2008, 02:26 AM
... I believe there is photographic evidence.

Yep, just haven't downloaded them yet.

Yeller, where are you? Motel-6 says you're reserved but I just cruised their parking lot here at midnight and no yellow boat. Hope all is OK. :(

I can't find your dag gone phone number.

zelatore
06-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Trust me, LEO and I go way back...

Oops, gotta go. I think I hear a margaritta calling my name.

zelatore
06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Hope everybody made it home OK.

Great trip - wonderful lake and good people. Definitely worth the long haul.

Speaking of which, I left Page Sunday about 10:30 AM. Got home Monday at 10:00 AM. Seems there was a little traffic incident on I-15 south somewhere in the mountains just over the CA state line. I ended up crashing at a casino in Primm until 1:30 AM to wait for the interstate to start moving again.

Rick - you going to post some of those pics? If not, I'll bring the CD you burned to the office with me tomorrow and put and try to upload a few.

zelatore
06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I've totaled up the gas receipts for the boat and truck. Any guesses? Closest to the pin wins a S/S Donzi logo. I'll post a winner on Friday

I'm including the truck to make it difficult for the guys who were there, seeing how they have the unfair advantage of knowing how far we ran each day...

zelatore
06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm assuming we are not including the price of tickets?

Gas only smart guy! :wink:

osur866
06-24-2008, 12:18 AM
$1033.53 for gas in boat and tow there and back. Steve

zelatore
06-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I haven't had a chance to re-size and sort out the 100's of pics, but there is one in particular I thought I'd share.

While we have a few minor mechanical issues among our group, all of us combined didn't come close to this guy...

Saturday night we got back just after dark. Pulled up to the dock to go retrieve the trucks while a few others were launching for the evening. Suddenly a huge cloud of white smoke comes drifting accross the dock. At first I thought it was 2-stroke smoke from a couple jet skis that were firing up, but it didn't smell right. Then I saw this this guy. In his defence, it was a shallow ramp. But still, you think you'd pay a little more attention when you're driving a PUSHER! :smash:

It was still in the water when we left. I hope he brought the gold card, 'cause diesels don't breath water very well :eek!:

RickSE
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
We made it home fine, skied a little on Sunday morning, had lunch then left for home. I'm missing the lake already and the good friends we made there. My daughter and I were watching the Man on the Moon special on The Discovery Channel last night; I asked her if she wanted to be an astronaut when she grows up and she said, "No, I wanna work at Lake Powell".:doh:

We had a great trip with great friends and pretty much accomplished everything we wanted to. Yeller finally showed up on Friday night after having major trailer issues. I looked for their boat for two days, just about gave up then came up the ramp Friday evening to see a yellow boat in the parking lot. :nilly: Thanks to all of you for coming. Other then us I think the shortest road trip was 12-hours. All you guys impress the heck out of me for coming this far and we really appreciate it. In the end we ended up with 4 very healthy 22's and 1 wave smashin 28ZX.

We’re down in Phoenix today and trying to catch up after being gone for a week. As soon as I get organized I'll post more on what we did and saw. The pictures are great and we have a few movies to post.

Thanks for the photo section Scott; we’ll fill it up.

I'll stay out of the fuel guess since I’m biased and know how much we burned on the lake.

I'll be back.

yeller
06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I've totaled up the gas receipts for the boat and truck. Any guesses? Closest to the pin wins a S/S Donzi logo. I'll post a winner on Friday
I'm including the truck to make it difficult for the guys who were there, seeing how they have the unfair advantage of knowing how far we ran each day...
Post this contest in the performance section so more people will see it. A S/S Donzi logo is a very generous prize. Don, with all the headaches I had, I completely forgot to check out the logo at Powell. :bonk:

Sorry poodle....I know you were hoping to keep the odds low. :wink:

Wish I had more than one day on the lake. :mad:
Still...it was great to see you guys/gals again. Nice to make some new friends as well. :beer:

Made it home today at about 3:00pm. Cut the holidays short because both the wife and I are a little gun shy after all the problems we had.

zelatore
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
pics are up in the gallery...hope I didn't go too crazy. I can't credit each photo as they are a mix from everybody. Best bet is to see who's boat ISN'T in the pic and assume they took it!

RickSE
06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks zelatore. I tried all day yesterday to get the videos uploaded on youtube but finally gave up and loaded them on putfile this morning. Here are three of the better ones off our boat. My son was filming, a little rough but he did the best he could. :yes:

Running with farmer tx (http://media.putfile.com/Donzis-on-Powell-2008-1)
Taking down the Tour boat (http://media.putfile.com/Donzis-on-Powell-2008-2)
Running with the Group (http://media.putfile.com/Donzis-on-Powell-2008-3)

These were all taken on our run back from Escalante Canyon on Saturday evening. The run back was approx. 70-miles and I we probably averaged 60+ MPH the whole way, it was awesome.

It almost appears as though we're going faster then trippledigits in these videos and we're not even in our own little poker run.:tongue:

RickSE
06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
So what happened?

Wednesday

farmer tx & Polly arrived at Powell on Tuesday, spent the night in the campground due to no hotels being available then headed out the next morning. They ran into a nice Black Widow coming off the lake then into us when we arrived Wed. afternoon. By then they were ready for a shower so we headed out for a little skiing then met up later for dinner with the rest of the arrivals.

More to come.

patolucas962000
06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey Farmer tx, let Polly know that everything remains the same the clinic we visted on Tuesday after coming back agrees with the doc's up here. We will know more in the fall when everyone wants to see me again to determine when the actual intervention will be best suited. Basically, he said I have "some" time to get used/adjusted to the whole idea and that nothing will change my outcome at this point.

I guess the best thought we have is that it's fixable, I just don't really prefer the method in which we will have to fix it.

I had a great time with everyone as usual, it was fairly nice and relaxing with the exception of when farmer tx encouraged Rick to change out the props...Thanks Andre for the ride all day Saturday, it was definitely nice and you actually survived the crazy women!!! Can you hear me laughing????:hyper:

Look forward to future gatherings with everyone!!!

RickSE
06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
So Thursday.

We gathered what troops we had and headed out to see the South end of the lake.

Ourselves
farmer tx & co.
zelatore & co.
Z Man & co.

Thursday included a run down to Lone Rock then we squeezed through the Castle Rock Cut to head up-lake into Labyrinth Canyon. Things got a little tight in Labyrinth for the 28ZX so we headed up to West Canyon to find some shade. After anchoring in 120' of water we ate lunch and watched all the roll-bar boats go by. :bonk: Several weren’t very courteous and knocked us around with waves so ZX Man paid-em back and dragged his tail through the water as we left giving them a good dose of 28ZX wake. :wink: As we left West Canyon we pulled a Forrest Gump, "well we came this far, might as well just keep on going", and headed up to Dangling Rope Marina for ice cream. This is when zelatore decided to have a little chat with the National Parks LEO about Donzi boats. After dabbling around a little on the docks at Dangling Rope we turned the boats back towards Wahweap Marina and headed for home base. Thursday evening ended with us meeting up with Doncig and company for a cookout in the picnic area.

More to come.

RickSE
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Ok, I'll try to finish this up before I forget.

Friday,

We decided to head up to Face Canyon in search of a slot canyon to hike. We entered Face and two of us, ourselves and zelatore; squeezed in as far as we could with the boats to the slot canyon entrance. We lost sight of the others assuming they were right behind us so we anchored up expecting to see the other's come in. I tried to swim into the slot canyon entrance only to find it full of debris and unreachable at this water level so we chilled out on the boats and ate lunch. After pulling up anchor and heading out we discovered the other two boats had been anchored just around the corner since the 28 couldn't fit through the last tight section in the canyon. We tied up to them and basically spent the rest of the day enjoying the sun, our friends and the water until it was time to head back. Upon arriving back at Wahweap we were elated to find a yellow 22C from Canada sitting up in the parking lot. We then found out about all the troubles Yeller's crew had been having on the road and decided to pull the boats out and catch up at dinner.

RickSE
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Saturday,

The pictures speak for themselves. It's a shame do compress these, some are magical in full detail. This was a great last day on the lake; up to Clear Creek and back. I'll add more detail on what we did when I can, just wanted to get the pictures up for Sat. Just don't let your oil filter spring a leak 40-miles up lake.

RickSE
07-02-2008, 04:02 PM
A few more.

The End

zelatore
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Rick, the pics I put in the gallery are higher res; I sized them to 1024x768 as a compromise between quality and size.

You also forgot to mention the run back from Clear Creek to Dangling Rope. You, me, and FarmerTX hauling the mail for mile after mile - given the elevation and the fact I had the only stock motor of the bunch, I was near flat out most of the way. And of course we had to pass the only other sport boat we saw on the way (red boat - Checkmate? I don't recall what it was). As FarmerTX put it when we got back to the dock 'just in case he thought he was going fast'. :wink:

Already looking forward to next year! But we have to get somebody to bring a 16 or I'll have to spend some cash on go-fast parts. I can't be the slowest guy out there....just hard on a guy's ego.

zelatore
07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
What makes ya think a 16 won't pass you?? :D :D :D

The spare 44lb Delta anchor I've got sitting at the shop?

zelatore
07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Ah, but I have a secret wepon. A passenger who never complained no mater how hard I wanted to run! That alone kept me near the front of the pack for the whole weekend!

However not long after we had arrived and I'd had a chance to check out some of the other guy's boats I was talking to her about 'this guy's got a 500HP...that guy's got external steering...that guy's got a blower...' She looked at me and said 'this trip is going to get very expensive, isn't it?'

Well, probably not until winter time... :)

RickSE
07-03-2008, 08:06 PM
You also forgot to mention the run back from Clear Creek to Dangling Rope. You, me, and FarmerTX hauling the mail for mile after mile - given the elevation and the fact I had the only stock motor of the bunch, I was near flat out most of the way. And of course we had to pass the only other sport boat we saw on the way (red boat - Checkmate? I don't recall what it was). As FarmerTX put it when we got back to the
I know, sorry. Saturday was our most active day and probably the best of them all. I hate to leave out detail but I was rushing and just wanted to get the daily pictures up.

Mark and I came up on the checkmate that was moving along pretty good, about 50 or so. We were already in the 60's with Mark on the left, me on the right, the checkmate coming up quick in the center and the rest of the boats just behind. I leaned over to my son, only other person in the boat, and said, "bet this guy thinks he's going pretty fast... watch this", then I let her rip up to >70. It was fun. The poor guy was really the only one out there for us to have fun with since everyone else was slow-pokin it. The fun part of passing some of these folks was the fact that I knew there were Donzi's right behind me or even next to me moving just as fast.

I think we set a record for the return trip from Dangling Rope to Wahweap. It's about 36-38 miles and I swear we did it in less then 30-minutes. It was an incredible ride with everyone right there together in the pack. I'm glad we only had 5-boats and don't think I could have kept track of any more boats at those speeds.

You guy’s and gal’s rock and I'll miss you for the rest of the summer. Everyone else I'll go out with now will be in the slow-poke group. :(

Z-Man
07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Well I've finished my 3500+ mile roadtrip. I cannot thank everyone enough for encouraging me to head to Powell. It is amazing and even more so with such great friends and boats!!!

Rick thanks for continually rounding up the horses as the sights are so incredible it is easy to forget to look at your gps. I cannot wait to get back but I'm guessing by the time I do $5.57 a gallon a Dangling Rope will seem cheap.

I had a great time at Havasu and I will try and post some pics from there as well. Farmer TX - Thanks again for launching and recovering my boat. Who would have thought there wouldn't have been enough water to get the drives wet!? (Definitely didn't see that coming :eek::doh:) Luckily no issues at Havasu.

To anyone running I-40 in New Mexico west of Tucumcari, if you happen to find an aluminum modular wheel and tire with six luges and stems, please send me an IM.

Thanks again to everyone, even the ladies out to kill me off! I can still hear the evil laughs!!!

yeller
07-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Just had to post the pic of me getting towed, didn't ya. :doh:

Zelatore, you weren't the slowest boat coming back, I was. I have to run so much tab with my boat that the blower only compensates for the lose and doesn't give me anything extra. I tried to catch you guys, but couldn't. Misjudged a side wave and almost sent Don and Sue overboard. I never run fast with passengers in mixed water and that was a nasty reminder why.

We'll be back again.