PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco hotels...

gcarter
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
We're going to be staying about two nights in the San Francisco area in about two weeks.
Does anyone have any interesting, affordable hotels to reccomend?

zelatore
03-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I can't really recommend anything in particular in the city. But I would say that if you don't mind staying a little outside the city you'll find better rates. And with parking in the city being pretty much a PITA, if you find something near a BART (light rail) station you're good to go. SF has decent public transit compared to a lot of places.

A couple of examples-

In Berkeley, I've stayed at the French Hotel, but that was a good 10 years ago and I've heard it's run down a little since then. Still, it's reasonably priced and in an interesting area although traffic would be nasty and I don't think it's near a Bart station.

In Oakland, you could try the Waterfront at Jack London Square. I haven't stayed there myself, but often our out of town clients do since it's within walking distance of our office, plus Bart is reasonably close and the SF ferry has a stop practically at their doorstep if you want to hop over to the city.

Wish I had something better to suggest, but I haven't stayed at many places out here.

zelatore
03-08-2008, 12:19 AM
http://www.jdvhotels.com/waterfront

A link to the Waterfront, as well as a bunch of other hotels these guys run in the bay area that range from resonable and funky to pricey and formal.

gcarter
03-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks Don;
I appreciate the heads up and I particularly appreciate the info about BART and not staying in the city.