PDA

View Full Version : On my way to visit George Carter.......

CHACHI
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
..............this was attached to a Firebird on the side of SR40. Window was open, nobody around and not a stich of rubber anywhere.

Ken

cutwater
03-06-2008, 05:12 PM
4 out of 5 lugs ain't bad. I would say you could find the missing stitches of rubber about ten miles back!

Donzi Racer
03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
..............this was attached to a Firebird on the side of SR40. Window was open, nobody around and not a stich of rubber anywhere.

Ken

Ken, let me show you a BLOWOUT! Jim " Buizilla" this is what you have to look forward to on your coach, I hope never! While Rose and I were finally coming home for a well deserved rest after our big Antique Show and Auction we put on once a year now in Asheville NC. This is what happened to us 55.5 miles from the Alabama border. Yeeee Hi, you now know what a double blow-out on the rear passenger side of a 40 foot motorcoach with a 20 foot enclosed trailer with a Maserati inside looks like. It takes 2 miles, 6 lanes of traffic and a very patient driver throwing his cell phone against the far wall, while his wonderful wife is doing Hail Mary's & Jesus Mary & Joseph statements on her knees while heading south on I-65 at 62 mph, & oh yea we only had 2 lanes of traffic to work with instead of 6, go figure. hmmmm? Rose, the two shar pei puppy dogs, and little ole me are all fine but the Motor coach sustained $30,000 woth of damage. Blew the tire rubber thru the bathroom floor and busted the pipes in the washer dryer area along with blew out the abs system, the rear airbag, the leveling jacks and so on & so on. Somebody said well I guess you will be stuck there a while. huh? Nope, backed the ole Maserati out of the trailer, put the two pups and sweet Rose in the car and zooom, lets go home. They towed the coach 100 miles for us and now they say 6 to 8 weeks to fix it. Since we live in that wonderful coach, anyone got a guest cottage on the water somewhere in florida? huh please? We will bring the Donzi's. Thought it may slow some of us down a bit. I am normally doing 80 and if the trailer was not behind us I do believe the coach would have layed over on it's side and we may have had a hell of a fire there on I-65. Glad to be back in florida even if I am living in our sun room for now. Tom, Rose, & 2 puppies that ain't going for a ride in a motorhome anytime soon.

Ed Donnelly
03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Glad everyone is safe..

Now lets see pics of the Shar-Peis and Maserati..............Ed

sweet 16 1966
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
WOW, what an episode! Thank goodness everyone is OK.

Nice James Bond exit!

BUIZILLA
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
whoaaaaaaaaa, what brand tires were those??
80 mph is 5 mph higher than ANY RV rated tire is certified for. All but a couple brands are only 65 mph rated... you probably had 275-70 or 275-75, those are NOT rated for a 40' coach, much less with a trailer load, couple that with excessive speeds, tongue weight, and your result was an overtemp of the sidewall and resultant explosion, look carefully at the inner tire and you see splits against the sidewall face, that's from over temp first, combined with overload... usually the inner tire blows first since they run the hottest... I just put 6 new 295/80-22.5 Michy XZA2's on mine last month to the tune of $4400, took me over 2 months wait to get them, they are rated for 75 mph and fuzzy will attest that I do NOT drive 55... I run mine at 105-110 psi cold and i've seen sidewall temp's as high as 172*, if I slow to 65-69 towing from the usual 73, the tire temp goes down to 135-145*, I use a laser temp gauge religiously, anally check them at EVERY stop, and I also bought a 10 tire Doran Pressure Pro Monitoring System to be installed soon. I do NOT take any chances whatsoever with my coach tires... there was a Windsor like mine that lost an inner left rear tire that caused a hydraulic fire when it severed the hydraulic fan hoses next to it, and it burned to nothing in less than 20 minutes, the occupants barely got it stopped and escaped before the propane tank line feeding the fridge exploded... I rerouted my hydraulic fan hoses and installed a .020 orifice in the fan pump so the fan runs ALL THE TIME to cool the inner tires better. You can't be too safe.
When you get your coach back, stay in touch with this guy >>

http://www.macthefireguy.com/Home-old.htm

gcarter
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Ken
Ken, you didn't tell me about that....

What if this was the guys spare and he was hitching down the road with the tire and wheel that came off it?????

Donzi Racer
03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
whoaaaaaaaaa, what brand tires were those??
80 mph is 5 mph higher than ANY RV rated tire is certified for. All but a couple brands are only 65 mph rated... you probably had 275-70 or 275-75, those are NOT rated for a 40' coach, much less with a trailer load, couple that with excessive speeds, tongue weight, and your result was an overtemp of the sidewall and resultant explosion, look carefully at the inner tire and you see splits against the sidewall face, that's from over temp first, combined with overload... usually the inner tire blows first since they run the hottest... I just put 6 new 295/80-22.5 Michy XZA2's on mine last month to the tune of $4400, took me over 2 months wait to get them, they are rated for 75 mph and fuzzy will attest that I do NOT drive 55... I run mine at 105-110 psi cold and i've seen sidewall temp's as high as 172*, if I slow to 65-69 towing from the usual 73, the tire temp goes down to 135-145*, I use a laser temp gauge religiously, anally check them at EVERY stop, and I also bought a 10 tire Doran Pressure Pro Monitoring System to be installed soon. I do NOT take any chances whatsoever with my coach tires... there was a Windsor like mine that lost an inner left rear tire that caused a hydraulic fire when it severed the hydraulic fan hoses next to it, and it burned to nothing in less than 20 minutes, the occupants barely got it stopped and escaped before the propane tank line feeding the fridge exploded... I rerouted my hydraulic fan hoses and installed a .020 orifice in the fan pump so the fan runs ALL THE TIME to cool the inner tires better. You can't be too safe.
When you get your coach back, stay in touch with this guy >>

http://www.macthefireguy.com/Home-old.htm

Thanks Jim, believe it or not they were michy's cause I can't spell Micheliens. ha ha They were 255-80-22.5 and I was and had been running between 55 to 65. I have 87,000 miles on that coach in 2 1/2 years since I have had it. I run it at 70 to 80 normally with as much as a thirty foot enclosed trailer on it. I was running slow for some reason. I had been tryng to get Rose home and had been driving a few hours, then getting a couple hours of shut eye and then a few more hours of driving all thru the night, so that is probably why I ws running it slower than normal. It was a ride, I will tell you that. I put the Michys back on but am not real comfortable with them. I love them normally but have heard all kinds of horror stories about them. Can you believe it was only 2 day wait for them to get in for installation. That oil prices is doing major damage to our pocket books in all kinds of different ways. I may take the insurance money and buy a new one. Reckon those tires will be ok for 85,000 miles. ha ha Tom
PS pics of Shar Pei and Masi's below.

BUIZILLA
03-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Looking at the weight charts, you NEED a minimum of a 275/80-22.5 tire on that bus.... you will gain 6,000# more capacity/safety factor if you do

your playing with fire keeping the size you now have...

Donzi Racer
03-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Looking at the weight charts, you NEED a minimum of a 275/80-22.5 tire on that bus.... you will gain 6,000# more capacity/safety factor if you do

your playing with fire keeping the size you now have...

Jim, Since I have just purchased 2 new 255/80/22.5 & put them on the front, what about keeping them there & putting the larger ones, you suggest on the rear? Make it look like a hot rod. ha ha Thanks, Tom 256-777-0844

mjw930
03-07-2008, 07:23 AM
So much for tire dealers knowing their ass from a hole in the ground!

You shouldn't have to resort to an internet boat forum to find out that your tires are severely under rated for your application.

I hate to sound like so many in this world but I would investigate the legal ramification of putting the wrong tire on a coach and having that coach undergo $30K in damages.

End of rant, you can carry on........

BUIZILLA
03-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Tom, it's just very simple...

what is your life worth??

if it's not worth 6 new tires in the correct capacity, then all the charts in the world won't help...

have you ever 4 corner weighed your coach?? if not, get it to Josam's in Orlando and get it done... do not pass go, do not do anything, whatsoever... talk to Barry at Josam's, 407.438.7020, tell him I said to call, they are the BEST in the country for what they do, absolutely nobody touches my bus undercarriage but them, period. People drive for 2,000 miles to have just them work on their coach's. He will tell you straight up after it's weighed what you need to do, or not do. In fact, if it's overweight with the factory tires on it, call the NTSB and they will help you get satisfaction. LOT'S of Fleetwood, Tiffin and National RV coach's came with insufficient tires in the late 90's early 2000's as cost cutting profits took over. You should have the 8.25 rims... have Barry spin your damaged rims off the bus, and if they are bent or out of round replace them, they WILL crack later on... I need to go back there very soon, so maybe we can get together there on the same day.

LKSD
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Sorry guys a little off topic here

Jim,

I was always curious about towing with a motor coach. How much of a load & how long of a trailer can you pull with a larger coach with a diesel pusher ??

:) Jamie

Morgan's Cloud
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
While we're off topic .....
REALLY cool pooches ......
I would spoil them in a hurry , as usual . :odie:

BUIZILLA
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Jamie, your concerns are coach specific, there are wayyyy to many variables floating around with coach and chassis models, for instance a 40 MountainAire diesel could have a Freightliner or Spartan chassis, and there are different spec's for each of those chassis. I am pretty darn savvy with what's out there... nail down a coach model and a boat model and then I can get VERY specific.

Carl C
03-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Nice dogs but you shouldn't let them on the furniture:wink:.

Donzi Racer
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
While we're off topic .....
REALLY cool pooches ......
I would spoil them in a hurry , as usual . :odie:

I did not mean to super hijack this forum but since you responded. When we buy a coach, house, or a van, it is with these 2 little guys in mind. we have not bought major purchases because the windows were not low enough for them to look out. The Blue on is called Bonnie Bleu and I am scared to let her get to close to where Mad Poodle lives cause I heard he eats manatees and she looks like a little miniature manatee. She likes to sit & stand up on the dashboard when we are stopped. She is not quite used to traveling yet. She is 1 year old and she is a mess. She only travels with her weight against Mommys or Roses leg. Drives Rose crazy but I think it is cute. She wants to know Mom is close. Well she had finally been walking around the coach for a day or two after 5,000 miles of staying close to Momma when the blowouts occurred. She is flat ruined now. She will not go near the thing, & that is home for us. That is going to be interesting getting back to florida from Alabama with them after that mess. No kids in 30 years of marriage, so these are definitely the kids. I have mentally appoligized to so many nutty people that I thought had lost their minds about how they treated their pets until we got Shar-Pei's. They are the kids, all it is too it. Thanks for the concern and support by the way. Tom

Donzi Racer
03-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Nice dogs but you shouldn't let them on the furniture:wink:.
Those dogs own the furniture. What you talkin about? T

Morgan's Cloud
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Like you said ....... :propeller:

not to super hijack this
I can think of many folks who probably would'nt have had kids if they had got their pooches first ...
My parents are included in that group ..... :bonk: 'course , I've got a brother who's a vet of some notoriety so I'm OK :D
Carl , your little monster is great too .... Maybe grown up now ?
Steve

Donzi Racer
03-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Tom, it's just very simple...

what is your life worth??

if it's not worth 6 new tires in the correct capacity, then all the charts in the world won't help...

have you ever 4 corner weighed your coach?? if not, get it to Josam's in Orlando and get it done... do not pass go, do not do anything, whatsoever... talk to Barry at Josam's, 407.438.7020, tell him I said to call, they are the BEST in the country for what they do, absolutely nobody touches my bus undercarriage but them, period. People drive for 2,000 miles to have just them work on their coach's. He will tell you straight up after it's weighed what you need to do, or not do. In fact, if it's overweight with the factory tires on it, call the NTSB and they will help you get satisfaction. LOT'S of Fleetwood, Tiffin and National RV coach's came with insufficient tires in the late 90's early 2000's as cost cutting profits took over. You should have the 8.25 rims... have Barry spin your damaged rims off the bus, and if they are bent or out of round replace them, they WILL crack later on... I need to go back there very soon, so maybe we can get together there on the same day.

Jim, Well I will go with your oppinion on those facts, I just cannot believe a big factory would jepodiaze peoples lives in a quarter million dollar coach for a little savings. But I guess that is the american way. huh. Hell, I was having a fit over where they put the dang spare in a $250,000 motor home, when they informed me that it did not have one. Huh? We didn not have anywhere we could mount it. Well put it on the dang roof for goodness sakes. Oh I see that would be $251,000.
You let me know when you are going and I would love to meet the guys there. My only problem is I have to get the coach 700 miles from Alabama to Florida. I am going over the list of mechanicals that need to be fixed on monday with the guys where I bought it. Wish I had you to go over it and see which ones I could wait till I got it here to see about. I did notice a terrible ribbing noise when I drove it the 20 miles to the dealership for the tire store. Maybe we could take the tires off the coach and get bigger before we come south. They finally drove the coach today late and said the ribbbbing noise when the fuel pedal is released and Jakes ingage is either the rims way out of round or the universal joint. Ain't that a hell of a choice? Nervous like hell, waiting to go north to get the beast & come back to Florida. I want to go over to the shop you mention as soon as I get back. I always tease about you being way over on the Anal side of the curve and me being way over the other way with the crazy fools part of the curve, but I am with you on this one. Thanks, if not for me, for Rose and the Girls. Tom
PS I been worrying about the dang coach so much lately, I haven't even had time to enjoy the fact that we are buying #10 on our Donzi list. I bet you can guess the boat or maybe the size. Not quite what everyone will assume. T

BUIZILLA
03-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure where you left it, but it can't possibly be 700 miles to Josams... call me over the weekend and let me think about this..

Donzi Racer
03-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure where you left it, but it can't possibly be 700 miles to Josams... call me over the weekend and let me think about this..

As Steve Martin used to say: WELL EXXX CUUUUSSSEE ME, you are right, it is only 640.4 miles. Ha ha You know I am only kidding but it is left 20 miles from our original home in Decatur Al. That is where we were heading after the big show. I am in florida living out of our sunroom and heading back up there tomorrow to deal with the guys on what to do to get us safely back to Florida. I cannot be out of florida for more than a few days without having serious withdrawels. Why or why did it take me so long to realize Florida is HOME? I know I have your # somewhere but would you mind calling me at 256-777-0844 or emailing me at mishunaire@aol.com and I will get right back to you. I am eternally gratefull for all you do for so many of the Donzi enthusiast, including myself. I wonder sometimes how you enjoy youself with all you do for others. Now can I sell snake oil or what? But seriously, I do really appreciate any help. It will definitely make Rose much more comfortable also. Tom

Carl C
03-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Carl , your little monster is great too .... Maybe grown up now ?
Steve That's a recent pic of my newest female whom I'll be breeding with Toby who is a big awesome male. She's a tough dog so I named her Jojo Zoe Toughgirl. I hope we're not 'jacking this thread; It seems to have turned into another "OT".

BUIZILLA
03-08-2008, 08:22 AM
but it is left 20 miles from our original home in Decatur Al. in Decatur you have Hood RV 256.353.8712, Madision RV 256.837.3883 and Glenn RV 256.974.1772,,,, I have zero knowledge of any of their prowess, but you need to have someone go over it for damage assessment before a road trip.. once it get's Josam's blessing then there are 2 places in Lakeland for repair work and one place in Jupiter as well. Land Yachts is in Jupiter and I know the owner, Donny, as a personal friend, he has done work for me on both my Country Coach and my Windsor, 3 of my dad's coach's, and 2 of my brother's coach's.. Independence RV is in north Orlando as well. Run from Lazy Days....

LKSD
03-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Jamie, your concerns are coach specific, there are wayyyy to many variables floating around with coach and chassis models, for instance a 40 MountainAire diesel could have a Freightliner or Spartan chassis, and there are different spec's for each of those chassis. I am pretty darn savvy with what's out there... nail down a coach model and a boat model and then I can get VERY specific.

Thanks Jim, I didnt realize there were that many variables with them.. Cool rides though.. I guess I should rephrase my question. Is there a nice size coach made in the 30' + range that could legaly & safely tow a 35 or 38 zx?? :D J

boxy
03-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Jamie, this should work .....

LKSD
03-08-2008, 09:42 AM

It may, however I think the wife would prefer something a little fancier..

Something more like :

http://www.newellcoach.com/flash.html

http://www.newellcoach.com/preInventoryList.php

My wife would prefer to camp like a rock star.. lol.. :D

I told her next time I have an extra Mil or 2 to throw down on it to pick one out and suprise me.. lol....
:D Jamie

SilverBack
03-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Jamie, No wonder that I couldn't afford to get you to do my boat!! Just Kidding!!

Jim,
Are your new tires the XZA2 or the XZA2 + Energy? I have been waiting for a set of the 22.5 XZA2+ Energy for a good while now for my dually. I would think that tires would handle anything a R/V could throw at it. It has a load rating that is up there with the over the road Class 8 tires.

Too bad they don't make a shorter super single from Michelin. My family runs over 400 tractors and 600 trailers and they have gone to the Michelin super singles on all of the drives and had great luck with them.

BUIZILLA
03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
a good friend of mine has that exact Renegade/Freightliner for his Hooter's Cup car(s) truck(s), he's been very happy with it...

the Michy Super Single is only rated for 10,200# on each side, whereas I now have 13,880# capacity on each tire, a 7,360# advantage with the dual tires on each side, I now have a 41,540# capacity
I waited about 2 months to get my +2 Energy's.. damm sure worth the wait....

SilverBack
03-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Buiz,
How do they ride? Much tread noise?? I can't wait to get mine!! Did you notice any difference in fuel milage?

SilverBack
03-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I am sorry!! Got off on the wrong track!! The tires that I ordered are XDA2 +Energy not XZA.

They are 295/60-22.5's

Donzi Racer
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
in Decatur you have Hood RV 256.353.8712, Madision RV 256.837.3883 and Glenn RV 256.974.1772,,,, I have zero knowledge of any of their prowess, but you need to have someone go over it for damage assessment before a road trip.. once it get's Josam's blessing then there are 2 places in Lakeland for repair work and one place in Jupiter as well. Land Yachts is in Jupiter and I know the owner, Donny, as a personal friend, he has done work for me on both my Country Coach and my Windsor, 3 of my dad's coach's, and 2 of my brother's coach's.. Independence RV is in north Orlando as well. Run from Lazy Days....

Right on the Lazy Days statement. We have it at Bankston Motorhomes in Huntsville where we bought it right now. My insurance adjuster likes them. I have had nothing but good results with them on normal service and repairs when we are home for a few days from time to time. We are supposed to go over the minimum neccesary driveline & mechanical repairs to get her home monday morning. Little nervous, to say the least. I have a good repair place in Titusville that I trust for the cosmetics. I just want to be sure about the mechanical aspects. We do not use this one near as much as we used to but was planning a trip to Arizona for the National Maserati TC Meet in May. We may have to drive ole bubbly truck out there with a masi on the back. There is a post somewhere on the forum of a pic of ole Bubbly and the triple hatch we just started restoration on recently. Don't look real good but has a very comfy bed in the sleeper. Much better than than the futon I am sleeping on in the sunroom. ha ha Thanks Jim, I am going to try and get her home next week for a good look see. Tom

Donzi Vol
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Ken, let me show you a BLOWOUT! Jim " Buizilla" this is what you have to look forward to on your coach, I hope never! While Rose and I were finally coming home for a well deserved rest after our big Antique Show and Auction we put on once a year now in Asheville NC. This is what happened to us 55.5 miles from the Alabama border. Yeeee Hi, you now know what a double blow-out on the rear passenger side of a 40 foot motorcoach with a 20 foot enclosed trailer with a Maserati inside looks like. It takes 2 miles, 6 lanes of traffic and a very patient driver throwing his cell phone against the far wall, while his wonderful wife is doing Hail Mary's & Jesus Mary & Joseph statements on her knees while heading south on I-65 at 62 mph, & oh yea we only had 2 lanes of traffic to work with instead of 6, go figure. hmmmm? Rose, the two shar pei puppy dogs, and little ole me are all fine but the Motor coach sustained $30,000 woth of damage. Blew the tire rubber thru the bathroom floor and busted the pipes in the washer dryer area along with blew out the abs system, the rear airbag, the leveling jacks and so on & so on. Somebody said well I guess you will be stuck there a while. huh? Nope, backed the ole Maserati out of the trailer, put the two pups and sweet Rose in the car and zooom, lets go home. They towed the coach 100 miles for us and now they say 6 to 8 weeks to fix it. Since we live in that wonderful coach, anyone got a guest cottage on the water somewhere in florida? huh please? We will bring the Donzi's. Thought it may slow some of us down a bit. I am normally doing 80 and if the trailer was not behind us I do believe the coach would have layed over on it's side and we may have had a hell of a fire there on I-65. Glad to be back in florida even if I am living in our sun room for now. Tom, Rose, & 2 puppies that ain't going for a ride in a motorhome anytime soon.

Holy crap, Uncle Tom! I don't like those pictures all that much after seeing you just a few hours before and praying, "Dear God, just a few more miles!" I've gotta say that I didn't realize it was that bad. It's really a blessing that you all are ok after that. Kudos on the superb driving. Let me know if I can help with anything. Keep you, my Aunt Rose, and the puppies safe on the drive home.

-David

fegettes
03-14-2008, 03:49 AM
I have been following this thread and I want to say thanks for the education. I have been cautious about checking my air pressure 'occasionally' on my coach. I can definitely see I need to give my tires a priority each time I use the coach. I have had thoughts of what would happen if I ever had a blow out going down the road, and this is a prime example. I have been amazed at how much one of these monster coachs can lean on an incline without turning over. I guess the primary weight is low in the coach.

Even if there appears to be a lot of tread on the tire, is there a suggested age limit before replacing the tires?

Steve

BUIZILLA
03-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Even if there appears to be a lot of tread on the tire, is there a suggested age limit before placing the tires? Steve the standard rule of thinking is every 5-6 years, regardless of mileage... a tire can deteriorate internally, and look fine on the outside, dependent on the air and moisture inside... I just did all of mine at 4 1/2 years of production age, as a precaution. My G670RV's were also wearing wierd, as they ALL do with this brand.... I went with $$$$ Michy's this time.

fegettes
03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks Jim.

Well, then it is time for new tires. This is going to hurt. ..... I wanted to at least buy one more full tank of gas for my boat.

Steve

Donzi Racer
03-15-2008, 04:02 PM
J,

Did you Nitrofill the new Michelins? I plan to do mine next week after we setup the new system at the shop..

Hec fire Poodle, I got enough problems without adding nitro to my tires. ha ha Seriously let me know what that is? What it does for you? Thanks, the very limping back home, RACER

Donzi Racer
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
the standard rule of thinking is every 5-6 years, regardless of mileage... a tire can deteriorate internally, and look fine on the outside, dependent on the air and moisture inside... I just did all of mine at 4 1/2 years of production age, as a precaution. My G670RV's were also wearing wierd, as they ALL do with this brand.... I went with $$$$ Michy's this time.

Ok Jim, that was just about the time I had on these tires. They were new in 2003. The tread depth was not as good as the other 4 tires which is 8/32's. I went to a truck tire place and ordered 6 new 275/80/22.5's. Had my check book out and he said let me see this coach 1st. The tire man outside had already looked at it and said ok. The up front manager said bring me a 275 out here. They put it up against the outside of the coach and said, no way it will go up under the coach. So I said what should I do, get more 255/80/22.5's and he measured the tread and said to go slow going home and then check on 275 /75 or 70 tires. They may with the lower profile fit under the fenders. What say Jim? Will she run with 275/70/22.5's ok? I am pulling around 4500 lbs behind me including the trailer weight on our way home. 1st thing I am going to do is get one of those tire leveling devices that runs the same air in both the dual tires. If one goes down, they both do. And when you put air in one it spreads it out between the two. I have no excuse not to check the tire presure and keep them regulated since I have a nice air regulator included with the the air ride system. Oh yes, by the way we will be coming down I-75 to I-10 to I-95 saturday and sunday in case any or everybody wants to stay the hell out of our way. Hmmmm? Cruise control on 55 to 62 tops. Limping easy all the way home. By the way the guys at the motorhome repair place in alabama got us running like brand new. This thing is a dream to drive again. Thanks for all concern, advise, and good thoughts bringing us home. Tom, Rose, & the Girl Puppies!

BUIZILLA
03-15-2008, 04:25 PM
lemme do some tire checking... somethings not right here...

BUIZILLA
03-15-2008, 04:53 PM
okayyyyyyyyyyy.....

I had 275-70's on my Country Coach Intrigue and was very, very happy with them. They replaced TOYO's that were great tires but TOYO abandoned the RV market after the National RV cheap spec disaster...

the 275-70 XZA2-Energy is an LRJ tire, it is 1.3" taller, .7" wider and 18 rev's less per mile difference in rpm... LRJ is the highest rating you can get. They will work on your 8.25" rims.

you should get the Michy's for sure.

deal with Boulevard Tire in Orlando, let them come over to Josam's shop and do the work there, have Barry at Josam's balance them after mounting, and buy the 4 Balance Master disc's as well. See if Barry can get the same tire mount kid from Blvd that did mine, he was awesome, I tipped him $50. Inflate them to 110#. Once all that is done, have Barry 4 corner weigh the bus, and check the ride height and 4 corner alignment. Your gonna part with some serious coin, but it WILL be worth it. If you have the original shocks, get rid of them (especially if they are Monroe's) and get the gold Koni's. Also have him install the sway bullet's in ALL of the airbag lines. That's a LOT of work for one day, but he will let you dry camp in the lot overnight if need be. If you go, I may go up on there on the same day you go, he needs to do something for me anyway's...

edit.... whatever you do, do NOT use the crossfire pressure equalizers, or even the braided single hoses... get the Austrian extensions for the inner duals and the rubber hole fillers for the alum wheels. I'll email you the Calif Co that is the ONLY place in the USA to get these items.

Donzi Racer
03-16-2008, 05:47 AM
okayyyyyyyyyyy.....

I had 275-70's on my Country Coach Intrigue and was very, very happy with them. They replaced TOYO's that were great tires but TOYO abandoned the RV market after the National RV cheap spec disaster...

the 275-70 XZA2-Energy is an LRJ tire, it is 1.3" taller, .7" wider and 18 rev's less per mile difference in rpm... LRJ is the highest rating you can get. They will work on your 8.25" rims.

you should get the Michy's for sure.

deal with Boulevard Tire in Orlando, let them come over to Josam's shop and do the work there, have Barry at Josam's balance them after mounting, and buy the 4 Balance Master disc's as well. See if Barry can get the same tire mount kid from Blvd that did mine, he was awesome, I tipped him $50. Inflate them to 110#. Once all that is done, have Barry 4 corner weigh the bus, and check the ride height and 4 corner alignment. Your gonna part with some serious coin, but it WILL be worth it. If you have the original shocks, get rid of them (especially if they are Monroe's) and get the gold Koni's. Also have him install the sway bullet's in ALL of the airbag lines. That's a LOT of work for one day, but he will let you dry camp in the lot overnight if need be. If you go, I may go up on there on the same day you go, he needs to do something for me anyway's...

edit.... whatever you do, do NOT use the crossfire pressure equalizers, or even the braided single hoses... get the Austrian extensions for the inner duals and the rubber hole fillers for the alum wheels. I'll email you the Calif Co that is the ONLY place in the USA to get these items.

Thanks Jim, I will have to read this all again once I am home today. The ole girl is running like a dream coming home. 1st time in forever I can remember being able to keep her in the road with 2 fingers on the wheel. Course the 62 mph helps compared to 75. ha ha Will settle in this week and get some plans made to go over there. I have to go by you all this coming week to pic up our newest purchase down where you have some property. I can not remember the name of it but saw you had some property there in another post.
Oh yes thought of you last week. Was talking with the purchaser of our 66 barrel back and he was telling me two of his new tenants took him to see a "what is that donzi boat you like so much Tom", I say Minx? He says yep that is the one and I say was it black? The two guys say yea, I say, is it missing the windscreen and they say it used to, but the guy has replaced it, I say give me his # and I go look at our old 1987 LE Minx. Sure enough it will never be in the condition of yours or Georges, but it flat beautiful to me. Now isn't that always the way, finally get Rose and I a bigger boat as in 22 feet and then finally the Minx we were supposed to have all along, comes out of the blue? Oh yes this all happens back in Alabama where we were getting the coach semi road worhty to get er home to Florida. Such a small small world. We put down a deposit and will be going back to pic her up around end of the season. She has fresh engine rebuild and new outdrive and fresh interior which he did an excellant job matching the original, which ain't easy. She is #17 of the LE's. Now where do I get that bimini top like the one that was on yours? ha ha ha ha Thanks again, Tom
PS can someone start a bank for us poor Donzi buyers that have no money left? I can see it now, THE DONZI OWNERS BANK! Want a fresh Donzi, come on down & see us first! T

Donzi Racer
03-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Somehow I see an FDIC bailout of that particular bank...

Yes, but don't you know the Board of Directors would be Happy Boys with their choice of repo Donzi's at their disposal? Hmmmm? Tommy "Just about to the Florida Line" Comin home!

Donzi Racer
03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
lemme do some tire checking... somethings not right here...

Jim, after stopping for $410 worth of $4.00 deisel fuel on my way home and I am not there yet, we may not have to worry about tires. I am seriously thinking of putting down the jacks when I get her home and yanking all the damn tires off and selling them. hmmmm? Make me a hell of a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion fixed trailer. Then go out and get me one of those little dodge sprinter or mercedes motor homes with slides and 22 mpg. Lets see 84,000 miles devided by 7.5 mpg = around 11,000 gals of fuel at new or even worse newer prices that they say is coming $4.5 average = $50,000. Now lets see, 84,000 Divided by 22 mpg = about $15000 which is $35,000 a year savings which would buy that mercedes motor home in good used condition in less than 2 years and then a donzi every 6 months after that, and I won't need that ole Donzi Bank. ha ha Whoops, I should not have done that figuring here on the board, cause now when I go looking for one of those new/used fangled motor homes for travling, they will all be bought up. I will tell you another thing, the difference between 3 dollar gas prices and 4 dollar fuel prices will get a few people looking at the gas motor homes again. It is getting rough out here Boys & Girls. Tom

gold-n-rod
03-16-2008, 04:21 PM
It is getting rough out here Boys & Girls. Tom

Yesterday, I ran a friend down to Mishewaka, IN to pick up a car he bought on-line. We traveled through "RV/trailer alley" from Elkart to Mishewaka. The yards were completely full of 5th wheels, travel trailers, motor homes and coaches. One place we passed must have had 200 bare chassis awaiting bodies.

I'd sure hate to be sitting on that kind of inventory while staring at $5 fuel :shocking:

GWB saying the economy is "facing a slight slowdown" is like saying Johnny Holmes packing a thimble in his britches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smash:

BUIZILLA
03-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Travel Supreme Motorhomes shut down operations... no more innovative mid-engine, rear garage, coach's.. :hangum:

so did Deep Impact boats, shuttered *until the economy improves*... :garfield:

Concept Boats just had a sizable layoff... :(

Donzi Racer
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Travel Supreme Motorhomes shut down operations... no more innovative mid-engine, rear garage, coach's.. :hangum:

so did Deep Impact boats, shuttered *until the economy improves*... :garfield:

Concept Boats just had a sizable layoff... :(

Jim & everyone else watching this stolen thread of ours, WE ARE HOME! 10 minutes ago. Pulled in just around dark. Dropped the trailer and backed in the port and plugged up and am not moving until 2 weeks when we will be at Mt. Dora or whatever it is called now. I may have AAA tow us over there. ha ha I will now get the insurance started, we now realized we baked the brakes on the little blow out ride. Squeling like 15 stuck pigs. What next? Something to be said about a diesel dually and a nice 5th wheel, oh yea, diesel engines don't work financially anymore with the prices of fuel going skyward. Just read an email about instead of everyone not buying gas for a day, everyone not buy from the top 2 oilmakers until they start lowering prices. With the companies that Jim was talking about closing or slowing down, just a drop in the bucket before we see the trickle down effect of this. I am scared to even think about it. Thanks for all the good wishes and Home is Nice. Tom

BUIZILLA
03-16-2008, 08:19 PM
welp, you could always buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=130205651182&_trksid=p3907.m32

Donzi Racer
03-17-2008, 06:20 AM
welp, you could always buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=130205651182&_trksid=p3907.m32

Funny you should mention one of those. I was on RV Trader looking at the 42 foot travel supremes last night. They are really starting to liquidate them. Down to low 200k's. I keep looking for the rear garage ones though and can't find any with them or at least pics of them. When we 1st moved into this wonderful resort we live in, I backed into the port and looked to my right and there was a $850,000 Provost, then I looked to my left and there was a 1.25 million dollar provost. Here I was in my 35 foot diesel pusher that we were proud of at the time but WOW. Nice neighborhood though. ha ha Well some of the Travel Supremes I like better than the Provost and look at all the extra fuel you can buy with the savings? Always my question when I go to trade is, I am paying around 1 grand a month now, can you keep me in that ball park? Have to go for a lot more than 20 years on that one to keep the payments close to 1k a month. yep! Tom

BUIZILLA
03-17-2008, 07:21 AM
I think Al's RV's in Ft. Pierce has a rear garage in stock.. :wink: