PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 1 vs. TXP on an 18?

tamburello
03-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Hasv anyone compared top speed and handling characteristics of both the Turbo 1 and TXP on your 18 classic? I'll probably test 'em out at AOTH but I wanted to get some opinions.

- Jeff

BigGrizzly
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
The TXP should be faster, but some like the way the Turbo1 handles . Me I like the TXP and the way it handles which is what I use and I have all of them.

cutwater
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
The TXP should be faster, but some like the way the Turbo1 handles . Me I like the TXP and the way it handles which is what I use and I have all of them.

Grizz - How would you (if you can) describe the differences in handling between the two? I have a bone-stock Minx, and I'm looking for a 21p. What characteristics do prefer in the TXP, I'm looking for a good all-around prop.

I haven't found a good place to demo props around here.

John

roadtrip se
03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
on the Scorpion boat last summer. It just didn't seem to hook up all that well with this set-up. Might have been too much pitch. I certainly would recomend trying one at AOTH on your boat, Jeff.

BigGrizzly
03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
The difference is the TXP lifts the boat much higher. This may not be necessary with the 18 since it has a rocker hull and the 22 doesn't. The only way to know is to try them back to back and take the one YOU like.

Sam
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
The difference is the TXP lifts the boat much higher. This may not be necessary with the 18 since it has a rocker hull and the 22 doesn't. The only way to know is to try them back to back and take the one YOU like.

Randy, when you say "lifts the boat" can you be more specific as to bow lift or stern lift......thanks.

BigGrizzly
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Some props lift the bow some lift ot squat the stern. The TXP literally raises the whole boat higher out of the water giving it less whetted surface area. When I tested the prototype we noticed it right away. The prop does give a loose feeling on some boats with some drivers. Kind of like new suspension on a race car. This is the only way I can think of describing it.

Sam
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Fair enough then, hopefully there will be some at AOTH for testing :yes:.

mjw930
03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Some props lift the bow some lift ot squat the stern. The TXP literally raises the whole boat higher out of the water giving it less whetted surface area. When I tested the prototype we noticed it right away. The prop does give a loose feeling on some boats with some drivers. Kind of like new suspension on a race car. This is the only way I can think of describing it.

Griz,

I just tested a 23P Turbo 1 on my 22 today and I was really impressed with the overall attitude of the boat. The Turbo 1 carries the bow higher up through about 50 mph then it really lets the boat get up on top and does loosen up a bit around 62 - 64, I like it. I'd like it even more if I had more power but hey, all that takes is cubic $$$$ :)

Will I notice the overall lift earlier with the TXP and can I control that lift with trim to keep the right angle of attack in the rough stuff (and over cruiser wakes). Some props lift so much that you end up loose all the time which is great unless you really get caught in the slop.

Can you run pitch for pitch between the two? I'm right on 4600 RPM which, according to the literature I have, is the top end of the power band for the 7.4L (4200 - 4600 RPM WOT). Still getting used to that, my last "454" was propped to 5800 RPM :cool: (far from stock internals).

Lenny
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM

The TXP gave about a 4 mph cruise increase on the LE18 in Tampa Bay when we switched it over from a polished,labbed Cleaver. Carried the bow phenomenomly (sp) :) and never aereated the prop even with a 3" shortie (SS) out back. Jim REPLACED his favorite prop on the boat (Cleaver) and stuck with this one. The TXP. Since he has all the "seat time" to date in this boat, I trust his judgement and am doing the same.

BigGrizzly
03-17-2008, 09:34 AM
The prop will lift the hole boat a little more this is why it is faster. Pitch for pitch should be the same. The configuration between the two is completely different. and the way it performs is different. There is a different feel between the two. It is more expensive. On Lenny's ride it would be my choice too. I have already stated my reasons.

Sam
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Griz, I'm currently running a 24" Hydromotive Quad IV (small dia ) on my 16 / Alpha SS. The only draw back on this prop is that it tends to have to much stern lift at WOT in certain water conditions. Any chance you will have any TXP's in that general pitch range at AOTH.

THX
Sam

BigGrizzly
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
YES, we will be there, me and the Turbo crew.

Sam
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Glad to hear you will be there, what about prop inventory :wink: ?

BigGrizzly
03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
We should have a descent amount of props providing everyond who is going and wants to try lets us know what they are driving.

Sam
03-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Griz, see my post #12.........thanks. Jeff, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, see a in May :yes:.

osur866
03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
What is the diam. of the TXP's say 26 pitch? Steve

BigGrizzly
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
The TXP is about 14 3/4

BigGrizzly
03-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Sam. Depending on the horsepowet nit will take a 23 or a 25 pitch with the SS. Lenny loves his as well as Buzz. Buzz cam up to me at Sota and was excited and said "Your not going to believe this", too long to type. He was pumped, now Lenny owns that beautiful boat and no complaints so far. We can get it handled, just be there with your check book. I will be surprised If you don't like it better in every way. If not I have some more tricks up my sleeve.

tmdog
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
TXP comes in a 24 pitch.

http://www.boatownersworld.com/Props/turbo/turbo.htm

BigGrizzly
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I hate to tell you this but after you order the 24 from them it won't show. These guys just drop ship from turbo and if it isn't made you won't find out for months. And if it is wrong you will pay a $50 restocking fee. after last year Turbo won't take anything back without a restocking fee from boaters world or anybody. Turbo got very upset with their old discounts. So they raised the prices. that Turbo I use to be 269 delivered now its 299 and getting a 10% hike. They use to act like they worked at turbo. Returns no longer go directly to Turbo they go th the retailer. Turbo will no longer put up with their incompetence. I won't go into the stories.
Sam, the 24 is not for your boat. In October they didn't have any and were not going to.

Sam
03-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Ok Griz, looking forward to this experiment....................come on AOTH :nilly:.

tamburello
03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Sam, no worries you didn't hi-jack it. I always like learning more about prop stuff. Looks like we'll both be tryin' a TXP, hopefully this time it will be with all 8 cylinders. Dad's been banned from plug changing duties :wink: Lookin' forward to seeing you guys down there!:smash: