PDA

View Full Version : Boat History lil grizz 22zx

pontiac
03-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know about the whipple charged 22zx for sale. Any informaiton would be great. Thought i read on another forum that it was taken back apart after the charger, but have not found anything on this forum yet.

Thanks,

cutwater
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I think you will find the same response from many members on this board. The fact is, maintenance is a risk you take by owning a boat, period. Especially used.

However, there are a few people on this board who do such thorough work and who are so anal about doing things the right way that it's pretty much better than having the work done at the factory. BigGrizz is one of them, and I'm sure LilGrizz's boat is no exception.

BigGrizzly
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I am his father, and there are plenty of people on the board who have seen him run. As for maintenance, This is the kid who had a 87 Mustang, vortex charged 5.0 with 502 hp at the rear wheels that got 50,000 miles before he got rid of it to buy the 22ZX. He has never been towed in except when he ran out of gas at the Home town rally. The ECM was programed by Mark Boose in New Orleans. He spends more time at ****tail cove anchored or sitting at my dock with the ladies, then running it.

pontiac
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
thanks for the imput, but i would like to know how the boat was run when it was being run no floating. and if anyone knows about the heads being pulled. this makes me worried. not because it was done, just want to know why.

angian thanks for the replies

chappy
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm sure Lil Grizz can answer these questions. Based on dealings I've had with his father, I would trust him completely.

BigGrizzly
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I can tell you why the heads were changed. The 7.4 mpi heads are prone to detonation. Many engine builders and Dustin Wipple suggested it. Those heads were a problem on stock motors. So the head swap was academic. If you really want to know some thing just call him, he will tell you the truth. Or just make an arrangement to go to his place to see it. The only time I get to see it, it is covered with girls, which is fine with me:wink: As for the way it runs, he is not as fast as me, but faster than most.

The Hedgehog
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I can't project the future outcome of any motor, but I do know this, I would like to think I could buy a boat from Griz Jr on reputation only. I know that Griz has been around the block and seen more blower motors than I have known.

As I have said before, there is no way you can get a professionally setup whipple blown 22ZX for close to that money!

I am getting ready to throw an almost unheard of amount of hp in a 26ZX and these are the folks I am going to for prop advice.

BUIZILLA
03-06-2008, 06:46 AM
the head change was a very smart move.... chamber design, flame propogation, and mix circulation promoted spark detonation in those heads, they were fine for under 9.0 comp., but when you elevated the compression or cylinder pressures wierd things happened.. the peanut port increased incoming velocity with the blower addition, and this aggravated the incoming combustion chamber charge theatre of events..

SilverBack
03-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I couldn't agree more!! If you are in the market for a blown 22 ZX I couldn't imagine that you will find one put together better!! Big Grizz is a very standup guy and he really knows his stuff.

Lil Grizz
03-08-2008, 09:50 AM
The only time the engine in my boat was ever apart was the day the supercharger was installed. Intake and heads only. There was not an instance of it ever needing to be torn back into. Where ever it was discussed that my engine was torn down several times is either not my boat, or they are mistaken. I made sure this was a one time job with no hassles later and it has been just that. All you need to do is change the fluids and plugs.

Now about the engine popping. Its a 7.4 MPI with 5lbs of intercooled boost with a rev limit of 4600RPM and with 200 hours . Really does not run very hard at all. Does not smoke at all. It sits at nearly half the RPM per MPH as a Mag. Plus in the unlikely event that it does pop, repairing the engine is a fraction of the cost of the mag. Or you just put in the Mag cam and rotating assembly, its already wearing the heads and is a 4 bolt main block as well. Then you have a Magnum more like the 600SC.

I do understand the concerns but supercharged does not = shortened life. I hear it every time someone calls on this boat. Detonation is what kills boosted engines not the increased power stresses. I spent a good amount of time and money making certain that the air-fuel was perfect and it has been. The thing is totally docile. Besides, no matter what you think today... two years from now you are going to be dying for a supercharger on whatever you are driving. Then its going to be exhaust, etc... just like the rest of us here.

Make up your own mind of course. Its a lot of money and you should definitely feel assured of your purchase. I stand behind my engine and work. If you come see the boat in person you will understand. However, if you end up buying another ZX besides mine, bring it over here to Lake Lanier and I'll show you what you're missing out on :)

Mr X
03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I can personally attest that it is THE nicest 22ZX I have ever seen, and I have seen them ALL! :wink:

Shanghied Again
03-08-2008, 10:14 AM
The only time the engine in my boat was ever apart was the day the supercharger was installed. Intake and heads only. There was not an instance of it ever needing to be torn back into. Where ever it was discussed that my engine was torn down several times is either not my boat, or they are mistaken. I made sure this was a one time job with no hassles later and it has been just that. All you need to do is change the fluids and plugs.
Now about the engine popping. Its a 7.4 MPI with 5lbs of intercooled boost with a rev limit of 4600RPM and with 200 hours . Really does not run very hard at all. Does not smoke at all. It sits at nearly half the RPM per MPH as a Mag. Plus in the unlikely event that it does pop, repairing the engine is a fraction of the cost of the mag. Or you just put in the Mag cam and rotating assembly, its already wearing the heads and is a 4 bolt main block as well. Then you have a Magnum more like the 600SC.
I do understand the concerns but supercharged does not = shortened life. I hear it every time someone calls on this boat. Detonation is what kills boosted engines not the increased power stresses. I spent a good amount of time and money making certain that the air-fuel was perfect and it has been. The thing is totally docile. Besides, no matter what you think today... two years from now you are going to be dying for a supercharger on whatever you are driving. Then its going to be exhaust, etc... just like the rest of us here.
Make up your own mind of course. Its a lot of money and you should definitely feel assured of your purchase. I stand behind my engine and work. If you come see the boat in person you will understand. However, if you end up buying another ZX besides mine, bring it over here to Lake Lanier and I'll show you what you're missing out on :)
Lil Griz is right, When I supercharged my 1998 22ZX I to had the 7.4 and put on new heads, I can attest that if a supercharger is done the correct way there is no need for worry, When I did mine I only had 25 Hours on my engine and I remember Lil Griz did his when the motor was new. The only time you really have to worry about a Supercharged engine is when it was done after the engine had more then 150 hours thats were the problem sets in. When I sold my 22ZX she had over 450Hours on her and the person that bought her detinated the motor after 550hours and he caused that by not checking the oil, he devolped an oil leak in his cooler hose and kept adding oil in the engine but did not take care of the problem, the hose let go and the motor ran out of oil and detionated.
I know Griz and I can tell you he is a fanatic with his boat and I would not hesitate in buying a boat from him or his dad.

Lil Grizz
03-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Thank you Frank. I hate to say it but the boats flaws lie in the cosmetic, not the mechanical. Its almost 10 now, and certain things just age no matter what you do.

The 22zx is a bare bones speedboat. People expect it to be very fast and unfortunately no factory powertrain goes as fast as the boat looks.

When I bought it I could have gotten one with a Mag but they were very overpriced. Even more so when you consider the almost non-existent speed improvement. I figured that for the money I could do something better. It would have been cheaper to swap the 7.4 for a Mag but again it would have produced far less result for the money. After my research it made the most sense to supercharge when the goal was improved speed. Besides, they are all going to break some day. I'd rather mine didn't cost an arm and a leg to fix, and didn't require special parts. I accomplished that because its using the most common big block Chevy components. I've seen my entire stock engine for sale for less than 1k including all wiring and fuel system. I spend more on gas in a year.

Besides, in all my years hearing about how it could break, I still don't know of a single 7.4 that failed for reasons that a Magnum would not. In fact, I've seen first hand several 502mags throw rods clean out of the block, while my 7.4 keeps on going like the day I got it.

The miami vice shot