PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta speedmaster drive

Conquistador_del_mar
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I know there are not many of these bullet E drives around anymore, but I thought some of the members here would like to see and keep the parts breakdown sheets that I am posting. I scanned these from some sheets that I have had for quite a while. They are apparently 1.45:1 gear ratio drives. I believe most people who installed these drives had to add extra cavitation plates to them in order to get the prop to bite - I know I did on one I bought back in 1976 for my 1971 Donzi 18' 2+3 powered by an LT1, and my good friend also had to add them on his drives. Set up right, they were an awesome drive for additional speed. They require a smaller hub prop since they are so slim in design - a true bullet drive. If anyone is interested in them, I posted some in the "parts for sale" catagory. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52002

MOP
03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I read your for sale post and was very surprised they were not snapped up, that drive produces a surprising increase in speed even with stock to modest power.

Lenny
03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I read your for sale post and was very surprised they were not snapped up, that drive produces a surprising increase in speed even with stock to modest power.

I believe the number was 7-8 mph when GEOO did the swap about 7 years ago with his "other" power in the X. Pretty impressive.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-06-2008, 12:44 AM

After I recommended to my friend to try one on his Daytona, by the time he had dialed in the prop and increased the size of the cavitation plate, he increased from 76MPH to 93MPH using the same engine and upper Volvo Penta gears. I can still remember him coming back from the lake with a big smile and thank yous. The fact that I don't want to package and ship them might be a problem for some people. I just figured it was worth the trouble for the right man. We will see. Bill