PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Wet Sanding?

tamburello
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I have some scratches on my deck that aren't coming out with a buffer and I'll probably have to resort to wet sanding. Any advice as to the proper technique or do's and don't of wet sanding gelcoat would be appreciated.

- Jeff

DonziJon
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
This is a judgement call on your part. HOW deep is the scratch" Can you "Feel" it when you run your finger over it.........WET.(water) ??

Start with 600 grit wet/dry paper ..wet. On my '86 Minx there was "plenty" of gelcoat to play with. I had really good "Dings". They came out with wet sanding....compoud....then polishing compound...in that order. If 600 isn't fast enough for you go back to 400....Once the scratch is "close to" gone, back off to much finer grit wet/dry..always wet..up to 1200..maybe 2000. Finish off with polishing compound and wax. The older boats had ....I'm guessing ..... .050 thick gelcoat...maybe more.

waxman
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Hold Your Horses !
The general steps are correct.
The 600 is probably to aggressive ( we want to correct the problem but, take off as little as possible)
My suggestion- If you can just hang your fingernail in it, Start with 1200 grit wet sandpaper.
Take it down to almost gone with plenty of free flowing water.
Then compound and wool buff pad. Something like EZ-1 Clean Cut (available at your local automotive paint store)
Check your finish.
Mat be wet sand a little more. Repeat compound.
If smooth - go to a polish like EZ-1 Foam pad glaze or something similar.

I will be glad to walk you through the process.
It is part of what I do for a living.
Waxman 713-594-2385

gold-n-rod
03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Jeff!

Wait for Tony to check in on your request. He did his entire 22' and it looks like new!

Tony
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Jeff, Randy is right. I sanded the heck out of my red gel, but it was very oxidized...I had to start with 400 grit! If you've got a lot of area to do you ought to borrow my wet-sander...it saved me a lot of effort and works real well.

:beer:

The Hedgehog
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I had no problem cutting through small scratched with 1500 grit. Nothing to worry about with that.

I did go with a more aggressive grit some but it was not warranted.

tamburello
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The scratch isn't a super deep gouge but it is fairly deep. A friend was helping gas up and he set the 5 gal. can on the deck and slid it across to the fill, some small stones from the pavement stuck to the bottom of the gas can and made the scratch. I'll start with higher grit and go from there.

Waxman, thanks for the offer to guide me through the process, I may be giving you a call when I start this project.

Tony thanks for the offer to borrow your wet sander, it's not as big of a job as you had to tackle so I'll give it a shot with a sanding block.

- Jeff

glashole
03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
A friend was helping gas up and he set the 5 gal. can on the deck and slid it across to the fill, some small stones from the pavement stuck to the bottom of the gas can and made the scratch.

it is too bad when you have to murder a friend :smash:

but what are you going to do?? :)