PDA

View Full Version : Groco vs. Perko

Tony
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
The Perko has the wingnuts, but how does the top of the Groco open up?
Anyone like one better than the other?
The strainer size looks to be the same in both.
Thanks!

:beer:

gcarter
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Tony, I think the Groco loosens and slides sideways.
Barry got one for his 18 (at a good price I might add) and after mounting it, I was glad I had a Perko in the Minx.
I drilled the lid of the Perko for a 3/8" pipe thread for a pencil zink. If you choose to do this with a Groco you have to remove the zink first to open it.
I also thought the Perko, while looking maybe a little crude, actually performs very well and the two swing bolts and wing nuts are very easy to use. The case seems to be polycarbonate and is easily replaceable. I know I was running about 50-60 PSI through it and never had a leak.
Surplus Unlimited in Daytona always carries them in stock at about $135.00.
Good luck.

maddad
03-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I use the Groco in my 18. The top threads on/off and has an O-ring seal.

Tony
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks, guys!
I'll likely choose the Groco as it offers an "FM" option...a fine mesh basket.
Maybe this will screen the sand that occassionally finds its way into my system. :smash:

gcarter
03-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Tony, four things;
To change the sump on the Perko is only four nuts, not what looks like twelve screws.
It's easier to add a ground wire to one of the four threaded rods on the Perko, this is important, particularly if you ever get into salt water. And don't forget the zink. I ran about 99% of the time in fresh and the zink would be gone in 6 months. That action would be going on in the strainer w/o it.
The Perko is supported on both the top and bottom of the strainer rather than just the top, also the supports are slotted for ease of removal.
The wing nuts and swing bolts are ALWAYS easily removeable, you just loosen both slightly and it swings out of the way. If the Groco's O-ring isn't lubricated, it might not come off.

Tony
03-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks, George, those are some good points.
I'm sure most people don't think of zincs in fresh water.
Aren't they supposed to be a different material for fresh water?
It seems I recall a thread that discussed this...maybe I'll do a search.

Kirbyvv
03-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Tony:I've got a used Perko for sale. It needs a new polycarbonate case, but other than that it looks good. PM me if interested.

DonziJon
03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks, George, those are some good points.
I'm sure most people don't think of zincs in fresh water.
Aren't they supposed to be a different material for fresh water?
It seems I recall a thread that discussed this...maybe I'll do a search.

This is correct. There are generally three different materials used for "anodes". Zinc is used in Salt/Brackish water. Aluminum Alloy is also used in Salt/Brackish water.

Magnesium is used in Fresh water. I've found many local boatyards that don't know the difference. :nilly: