PDA

View Full Version : motor question

pontiac
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
How long willa Merc 454 MPI last with a whipple charger on it?

motor had 50-60 hours on it before charger, 150 since charger. how much longer wil it last?

I know they are all guesses, and it depends on how hard its ran, but lets have them..

Last Real Texan
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
How long willa Merc 454 MPI last with a whipple charger on it?

motor had 50-60 hours on it before charger, 150 since charger. how much longer wil it last?

I know they are all guesses, and it depends on how hard its ran, but lets have them..
Set up properly it will last a long time! If this is LIL grizzzzzzz's motor I would not hesitate in thinking it will last a very long time.

Tex

Rodger
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I put almost 1500 hours on my turbocharged 454, setup to run 11 lbs. of boost, before pulling it to freshen it up. I did not notice a reduction in performance at that point although there was a bit more compression leak-down measured when compared to new. I have my share of fun with the boat but I do not hammer on it all the time. Some people comment that I am rather easy on it.

pontiac
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Set up properly it will last a long time! If this is LIL grizzzzzzz's motor I would not hesitate in thinking it will last a very long time.

Tex
Yes I am talking to him about his boat. I like the fact it has the whipple, and exhaust, but it also makes me worry i will have to worry about the motor in future years. I do not want to have to worry about that going to be spending enough on the boat i can not afford for it to break BIG TIME. I know boats are money pits but you get what i mean.

The Hedgehog
03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
That is always a consideration. Most of the problems with blower motors are not the fact that they have blowers but how they are setup. It also matters how you run them. If you cruise around mostly and give it a good squeeze on occasion to get your blood flowing, you should be fine. Load it up with cheap gas and floor it for extended time periods then look out.

I don't know that particular boat but do know that those guys know what they are doing and how to set up a blower motor.

You would not be able buy a 454 mpi ZX, set it up professionally and have a boat that runs like that for anything approaching that price.

MOP
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
A little more input, on any modified engine it is good to do oil samples annually. Oil samples tell far more then most any other thing, by doing them annually you will develop a history that will keep you well informed n its health.

Phil

Last Real Texan
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
The old addage comes to mind....If you want to play you have to pay. Performance boating in any shape or form is never cheap, and is rarely trouble free, especially when you get into modified motors and drivetrain componants. Turn Key is only a term that is used when everything is stock in my opinion.
Oil analysis will tell alot of things going on in the motor , well it will tell almost the whole story, Blackstone Labs does great work by the way.
Now for the good stuff.....To purchase a Boat that has the performance and parts that the one you are looking at for the price is a great deal. All you are doing is taking a shortcut to the end result that you will eventually want....take it slow and don't drive it hard and the rig will last a long time, beat on it and it will let you know it does not like it. How much time is left on the motor ? nobody really knows, that is a gamble when buy anything used and you must accept that when you buy. You are however in a good position with this particular boat and engine because you know it has been well set up, 150 hrs since the install says a lot about care and set up of the motor. will it go another 150 hrs .....200 hrs.... before a major overhaul, who knows , my guess is yes, but it may only make it another trip......my point is used is used, no warranty at all , but this is the same for a non modified 454 mag....You will just have to decide for your self and make your best educated guess and, ultimately decision ...... just my 2 cents.....
I would not hesitate to by another blower motor....I will never go back but before I really understood them I had a little fear of the unknown....:hangum:
Great ride to be interested in.....
:popcorn:
Tex