PDA

View Full Version : XZ vs XR....Pressed-in steel tower vs threaded??

SilverBack
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
What are your thought or experience with XR gears vs XZ gears? Have you had problems with one or the other? What about pressed-in steel towers vs threaded?

What about IMCO SC vs Mercury XR drives??

BlownCrewCab
03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I Believe the screwed in are tougher in most cases, untill you exceed the capacity of the threads. I don't think hard acceleration is going to hurt, It's the prop loading and unloading with allot of throttle that would be the problem. a constant load won't be bad. and as high as your prop is going to be it'll hardly ever see the water anyway. Instead of having to get people to stand on the front to get on plane, you'll have people hanging off the transom. J/K Keith, I think since you'll be semi surface propin you'll be fine. and theres always the next beefier drive available.

SilverBack
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Michael,
I know about the....next beefier drive...thing. I just don't want to find out at 85 that the one that I have is not beefy enough!!

BlownCrewCab
03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I Think since the whole boat is new to you it's a good thing. this way your learning to drive it as it is, And your not having bad habbits carry over from the way you used to drive it. And if while your learning to drive it you take into consideration that theres a Fuse on the back and it cost 6K everytime you blow it, then you'll learn to creep up on plane and not be chopping on the throttle. I Believe with the power you have and some finesse you'll be fine and still get all it's got to give.

SilverBack
03-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Michael,
Thanks for the advice!! That sounds like very good advice!! 6k fuse..that is a good one.