PDA

View Full Version : Boston Whaler / DORY

Lenny
03-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Did anyone ever have a DORY??/These were faster than the BW

My MOST vivid memory as a kid was a 13' dropped off the back of a Yacht,(US) off of my folks place. We met and skied all day (weekend) behind it. I was about 12. He had a stereo (which was unheard of at the time) BREAD and AMERICA all weekend.

Obviously it stuck. 35 years later I am STILL remembering them.
So anyways, what do you folks think of this hull. It seems to be LESS wetted than the BW.

???

I would love to have one again. :) BW or Dory

BlownCrewCab
03-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Whew, If our Old Whaler could talk, Oh the stories it could tell. Some Happy, Some Sad, Some Funny as Heck.

Morgan's Cloud
03-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Lenny ,

Are you referring to the English built "Dell Quay Dories" that were knock offs of the Boston Whalers availabe, in 11' 13' and 17' models ?

Steve

LGMAZ
03-05-2008, 07:56 AM
I had a 13 Dell Quay Dory w/ a 50 Johnson. Absolutely indistructible and believe me, I tried. I still miss that boat.

Lenny
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Lenny ,
Are you referring to the English built "Dell Quay Dories" that were knock offs of the Boston Whalers availabe, in 11' 13' and 17' models ?
Steve

Steve, the ones I am referring to looked "just like" a Whaler but I believe they were "racier" at the front end on entry. As in a longer slope/entry than a Whaler. Maybe they were Dell/Quay. I will try and find out.

Lenny
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Dell/Quay, Yep, you guys are right.

Here is one here...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/592403991.html

and one in Miami

http://miami.craigslist.org/boa/582340991.html

gcarter
03-05-2008, 08:56 AM
So, did you buy it yet???

Morgan's Cloud
03-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Funny you should bring it up Lenny , I did my 'apprenticeship' in a Dory 11 (as they were referred to out here) for about 6 summers.
My brother brought one as his first boat but only used it for a summer or so and then went off to boarding school. Unfortunately because of hp/age restrictions it had only a Johnson 6 on it that was impossible to destroy. Believe me , I tried for years knowing that it only needed a 9.9 to get fully on plane and move out.
A 16 year old kid here with a Dory 11 with a 25 on it had more status than the same kid in the UK with an MGB ! :hyper:
We used to overload it and then put the nose down like a sub in dive mode. Then we'd all jump overboard and watch it bail itself out and come back up to it's normal waterline .
That boat was the foundation of everything I know about boat maintenance and handling.
Probably the reason my hair stands on end when I hear of complete novices buying boats that goes faster than 40MPH !
My neighbour has an 11 in the hedge at the bottom of my drive that was holed in hurricane Emily in 1987. It's been there for about 10 years and is crying for a restoration .. the foam is still dry !
The 11 , despite it's size is my fave as it has no hook on the bottom unlike the 13..

Marlin275
03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Boston Whaler was the coolest boat around in the early 60's

That is until Donzi showed up.

hardcrab
03-05-2008, 01:43 PM
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/history/whaler.html
Dick Fisher and Bob Pierce are the founders of Boston Whaler. My 1966 Whaler title has the builder listed as Fisher-Pierce.
They were and still are manufacturers of outdoor lighting products.

wrussellw
03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
can't beat a montauk. if you can only have one boat its the way to go.

Lenny
03-05-2008, 10:22 PM
can't beat a montauk. if you can only have one boat its the way to go.

Second boat in my life was an 11' Boston Whaler "Sport" with a three cylinder 50 HP Merc, tough to get on a plane but WHAT FUN.

I used to take that boat and travel about 50 miles across the Strait and go to the USA (Roche Harbour) and buy beer during our beer strike in about 1981. A five gallon tank :rolleyes: )The boat was a riot. Next boat was a Montauk (17, prior to the OUTRAGE coming out) and I got a new 150 V-6 Merc (wild idea at the time when 6 cyls meant vertical) on it. Another great ride.

Then a ho hum existence for a while, but not any more... :D

Yes, BW's make for a LOT of fun, very wet boats, very hard riding, but stable till the cows come home and pretty much INDESTRUCTABLE.

Yes, those were fun times... :yes:

gcarter
03-06-2008, 06:11 AM
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/history/whaler.html
Dick Fisher and Bob Pierce are the founders of Boston Whaler. My 1966 Whaler title has the builder listed as Fisher-Pierce.
They were and still are manufacturers of outdoor lighting products.
OK folks......a quiz!
What is the name of the naval architect (1) and the name of his design (2) that Fisher and Pierce were copying?
Also, what was the reason for a particular characteristic in the center bottom of the hull?

Morgan's Cloud
03-06-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm not posotive that Ray Hunt actually designed the original 13' Whaler as Dick Fisher was highly regarded as an inventor and designer , it may be that Hunt just 'advised' him .
I do believe that regardless , Ray Hunt was credited with the original design .
Was'nt it referred to as a 'Sea Sled' or something like that ?
Without the huge hook and the little 'fins' on the bottom I uinderstand that the 13' Whaler would otherwise be uncontrollabe !
Steve

gcarter
03-06-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm not posotive that Ray Hunt actually designed the original 13' Whaler as Dick Fisher was highly regarded as an inventor and designer , it may be that Hunt just 'advised' him .
I do believe that regardless , Ray Hunt was credited with the original design .
Was'nt it referred to as a 'Sea Sled' or something like that ?
Without the huge hook and the little 'fins' on the bottom I uinderstand that the 13' Whaler would otherwise be uncontrollabe !
Steve
Sea Sled is right, but Hunt was a youngster compared to the person I'm referring to.
And the "fins" are not the answer.......

gcarter
03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
A hint;
Hunt did work for Whaler......but everyone involved were essentially copying a design that had existed since the early '20's or late 'teens.
It was called a Sea Sled, and developed by a very remarkable, brilliant, but very paranoid individual.
So who was this person, and what did Whaler et al do to the design to keep this individual from suing Whaler?????

hardcrab
03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Would that architect be Capt. Robert Beebe ?

Morgan's Cloud
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
OK George ,
Let's see if I can improve on my earlier attempt.
Hickman (A Nova Scotian) was credited as the designer of the Sea Sled in the 1920's which Boston Whaler wanted to copy in 1958 or so.
Under copyright/patent legislation (I guess) they could'nt outright splash it and the hull design eventually evolved into a bottom with the centre pod V that we know today.
This was due to early attempts at the 'splash' having handling and performance issues .
There ! Do I get a gold star now ? ? :propeller: :nilly:

gcarter
03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
OK George ,
Let's see if I can improve on my earlier attempt.
Hickman (A Nova Scotian) was credited as the designer of the Sea Sled in the 1920's which Boston Whaler wanted to copy in 1958 or so.
Under copyright/patent legislation (I guess) they could'nt outright splash it and the hull design eventually evolved into a bottom with the centre pod V that we know today.
This was due to early attempts at the 'splash' having handling and performance issues .
There ! Do I get a gold star now ? ? :propeller: :nilly:
Two or three, as many as you wish.
It's funny, but after posting my question, I took the time to google the subject and it seems the current thinking was that there were handling issues that created the center V. But about 15-20 years ago, Wooden Boat wrote an article about Albert Hickman that stated Whaler was concerned that Hickman would bring a suit against them.....who knows.
We do know that Albert Hickman invented the surface piercing propellor concurrently with the Sea Sled hull form and all were twin engined as far as I know......
Acording to the Wooden Boat article, Hickman was excessively letigious, having sued the Dept. of the Navy a number of times. So maybe they are all correct. I know if I were Whaler, I would want to develop a hull that didn't need a surface piercing propellor and didn't need twins to operate.

gold-n-rod
03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
This is BW's 50th Anniversary. You can get the small Whalers with an "Anniversary Package" that consists of emblems and..............

....... that delightful light blue gel interior (with white exterior, of course). Too bad they didn't go first class and bring back the mahogany wood seats, helm and trim. Now that would be cool!!!!!

There was a 13" w/40 Merc 4 stroke w/Anny Pkg. at the Detroit Boat Show. I seem to recall it was $15 large.

Guess who could be found drooling and running their hands all over her? It was the 50 and 60 something guys. Hmmm, does that demographic sound familiar to anyone??????