PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta speedmaster drives

Conquistador_del_mar
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Last year, I sold 4 Volvo Penta speedmaster drives (E-drives), a rebuilt upper gear set, and 6 high performance SS props to a man who used to post regularly on this forum. He was supposed to drive down from Illinois to pay for them ($4000) and pick them up, but he never came through after many excuses. Therefore, I am again looking to see if anyone is interested in these items before I find another avenue to sell them. I will not ship them so anyone interested would have to pick them up here in very north Texas at Denison where I live. Here is my original post about the drives and props. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=410234&postcount=22

Conquistador_del_mar
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
It dawned on me that I did not give much information about the drives, etc. The white (original color) drive which does not have the extra cavitation plates welded on seems to have perfect gears and bearings. The only thing missing is the bottom fin. The one on the left turns, but there seems to be some binding in the gears. The middle one has all the gears and shafts, but it does not turn. The one on the back right has the bearings, but not the gears or shafts. It appears to be a good casing. The ratio of the drives which turn is less than 1.5 - I believe I have read that they are 1.41 ratio.
The upper gear set seems to be perfect. It came out of a box which I believe my friend had sent off to be rebuilt. My friend always had backup parts for his boats. He bought every E drive he could find when he discovered the speed advantage of these drives.
Here is a list of the propellers included:
14.5"x24" LH 4 blade cleaver
14"x28" LH 3 blade cleaver
14.5"x28 LH 3 blade round ear
28" pitch LH 3 blade cleaver (size not stamped)
48-75766-18 3 blade round ear (probably only 18" pitch)
All of the propellers are splined for these drives which are 1" - 15 spline like Mercruiser props. All the props are like new.
Here are two more Ron Hill props which I have at my house which could also go with the entire parts package. The props at my storage are in the same condition as these. The smaller hub is a 14"x25" LH cleaver (I think this one would typically be used for outboard racing) and the regular slightly flared hub Ron Hill prop is a 15.5"x26" (the pitch is not actually stamped on this one, however).
If anyone is interested in all these parts, just email me at DGILL25960@aol.com. I am asking $4000 for all of the items which I think is a good price considering that I understand someone was asking $3500 just for a set of speedmaster gears. If someone has a good machinist, they could fabricate anything necessary to get all of them running - the white one only needs a bottom fin plate. I also have a parts breakdown diagram of the E drive. I can store them at my storage until someone can come to pick them up here in north Texas near Lake Texoma - well worth the drives! Small pun there - lol. Bill

f_inscreenname
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
One of those hanging off the Nova would be a sight but being 1353 miles from home and $4 grand cuts me out. If there is anyone(s) out there who would like to share the deal……

Conquistador_del_mar
03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
It dawned on me that I did not give much information about the drives, etc. The white (original color) drive which does not have the extra cavitation plates welded on seems to have perfect gears and bearings. The only thing missing is the bottom fin. The one on the left turns, but there seems to be some binding in the gears. The middle one has all the gears and shafts, but it does not turn. The one on the back right has the bearings, but not the gears or shafts. It appears to be a good casing. The ratio of the drives which turn is less than 1.5 - I believe I have read that they are 1.41 ratio.
The upper gear set seems to be perfect. It came out of a box which I believe my friend had sent off to be rebuilt. My friend always had backup parts for his boats. He bought every E drive he could find when he discovered the speed advantage of these drives.
Here is a list of the propellers included:
14.5"x24" LH 4 blade cleaver
14"x28" LH 3 blade cleaver
14.5"x28 LH 3 blade round ear
28" pitch LH 3 blade cleaver (size not stamped)
48-75766-18 3 blade round ear (probably only 18" pitch)
All of the propellers are splined for these drives which are 1" - 15 spline like Mercruiser props. All the props are like new.
Here are two more Ron Hill props which I have at my house which could also go with the entire parts package. The props at my storage are in the same condition as these. The smaller hub is a 14"x25" LH cleaver (I think this one would typically be used for outboard racing) and the regular slightly flared hub Ron Hill prop is a 15.5"x26" (the pitch is not actually stamped on this one, however).
If anyone is interested in all these parts, just email me at DGILL25960@aol.com. I am asking $4000 for all of the items which I think is a good price considering that I understand someone was asking $3500 just for a set of speedmaster gears. If someone has a good machinist, they could fabricate anything necessary to get all of them running - the white one only needs a bottom fin plate. I also have a parts breakdown diagram of the E drive. I can store them at my storage until someone can come to pick them up here in north Texas near Lake Texoma - well worth the drives! Small pun there - lol. Bill

Since I have not had any takers after 3 weeks, I have lowered the price to $3500. Keep in mind that the original color speedmaster only needs a bottom fin plate - the gears and bearings seem to be perfect. With a good machinist, all the drives could be rebuilt. Also, some of the props were $750 when bought about 15 years ago. The upper gear set has also got to be worth a fair amount. I really didn't think a drive here would be such a big thing to anyone interested. If no one wants to drive here to buy them soon, I will see what a local pack and ship business would want package and ship them. My guess is that it would be pricey. You can email me or call me at my boat storage business. (903)786-6281 Thanks, Bill