PDA

View Full Version : New with few 22zx Questions?

pontiac
03-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok first post on this forum.

Have been on a boat all my life, and worked on anything with a motor my whole life too.

About to buy a 2000 22zx, stepped hull, 454 MPI MAG.
guy says it runs 75mph. I think the speedo may say that, but what will this boat run stock? will it be close to 70 on gps? any imput would be great.

also, once you crawl through the little door, how much room is there in cabin? sleep / storage?

any companys that make a top for this boat? for when camping on it?

Last one, but will new tips/ no muffler pike upo any speed?

Thanks a head of time.

pontiac
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Everyone said to ask you guys on donzi.net the specific questions but not one reply?

Dr. Dan
03-04-2008, 05:15 AM
:smash:Well I am only guessing but the lack of response is more predicated on the lack of owners of small ZX boats....compared to Classics or larger Zx models. First off... Welcome to the Registry... I take it from your comments you haven't even seen the boat? The Cabin is pretty Spartan, basic shelter .... there are a couple 22 Zx owners here... so maybe they will see this post and respond.

Fact is if you want honest feedback, there is a member here Frank Civitano who has had a few Zx's, also Big Grizzly's son has a Whippled 22Zx that he ran for a few Seasons.... I believe its for sale?

IMO I think 75 in stock form might be a tad optimistic...but I am only guessing. The Zx's have a ventilated hull and skip across the water pretty good... I used to run with one in a Northern Chesapeake Poker Run years ago... they ran that boat pretty hard like a giant Jet Ski.

You do have to be careful if you ever attempt to do a tight turn...(which I wouldn't recommend in any boat) but the hull can hook and spin under a given set of circumstances.

My recommendation to you is to do a search under the Performance Section.... you will find some "Threads" on 22 Zx's, meanwhile maybe someone will chip in here and offer you some direction.

Good Luck...

Doc of the Bay :cool:

The Hedgehog
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Give them a little time pontiac. It is winter but there are plenty of 22ZX owners around.

Getting rid of the tips will net you zero mph but will sound a little better. You may notice that your throttle response seems more crisp though.

Your guy is smoking some pretty good stuff if he says a 22ZX with a 454 mag does 75. More like 65.

glashole
03-04-2008, 07:05 AM
I do not have a 22ZX but was on one at the last AOTH

If you are a bigger guy you will have a hard time going through the hatch to get down below

Any good shop that specializes in boat tops can make whatever you need with regards to a camper top

Shea

SilverBack
03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Welcome to the Donzi Registry! Let me say that I don't have any direct knowledge of the 22 ZX. I have a 25 ZX that came with a 502 MAG. I think Last Tango and Little Grizz both have the boat that you are talking about but I am not sure that they post a whole lot in the performance section so they probably just haven't seen this post yet. Maybe Big Grizz will see it because I am pretty sure that he is very familliar with this hull.

I am thinking that 75 MPH with a stock 454 MAG is pushing it. I know a 25 ZX with a 502 MAG will only do about 60 GPS. I don't know of many single engine Donzi's that will go that fast stock. The Black Hawk is about the only one that comes to mind.

I don't know if they make one of those enclosure things for a ZX.

Good Luck!!

FISHIN SUCKS
03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Beerbaron has non-stepped 22zx with a 454 that will do 63 on the GPS (stock motor). If I remember correctly (scary thought), Rumshaker's 22zx has a 454 w/headers and some other mods and runs around 70 (stepped I believe). I like the 22zx's lines, interior layout, sunpad, but Glashole is right, not a whole lot of room to get crazy in the cuddy! Good luck,

tom

LKSD
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
The non muffled tips wont buy you any noticable speed.

You will need about 400+ Hp to get into the 70's. The Donzi's are typically heavier than the other similar sized boats on the market..

With the 454 if it is a mag should get you in the higher 60's possibly low 70's.. If it is a palin 7.4 I would exect you will see low to mid 60s with the right prop.

To get in about a true 75 you will need a 502 mag propped & tuned correctly and everything else to your advantage.. The 22zx's with 502's are out there, but there are not as many of them.

Incase you were thinking of other stuff :) here is a little guideline easiest & least costly to more costly and indepth:

Propping the boat correctly if not already done.. it could grab you 1-4 mph

Beyond that upgrading the exhaust to a lighter better breathing system. = Weight reduction & small speed increase posibly an additiona mph or 2

Altering drive height could gain you another couple mph

Doing internal engine performance upgrades or adding a supercharger.. Gain is dependent on how much you are willing to spend & how far you want to go.. I have done a lot of donzi mods including boosting them. This may also be an alternative for you, unless you want to beef up major internals for more speed.

Also remeber that you cant always add up the gains consecutively from each upgrade as some stuff will overlap or compliment each other.

I'm speaking based on my personal and professional experience with the Donzi hulls..

I hope this helps you.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

pontiac
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
thanks for the replys,

I am guessing changing tips.mufflers is not hard but i am only finding one brand and its on ebay. some help would be nice.

speed wise that what i figured but who knows have to drive it and see. I called the number for Franks boat (2000, whipple charged) but got no answer. I like it, but have no idea how many hours are on it and how long a motor in a boat with boost will last. not looking to replace motor. like the speed though. like buying a sports car. if its got good parts on it, it probably has been run hard.

Cabin, i just want to talk with someone that has been inside one, i have seen the door in person, but never crawled in one.

Uncle Fester
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
The cuddy isn't much. I've spent a few nights in there and with two people it is a miserable night. Getting in and out is a major pain. Mine is a Volvo so I don't know the difference with a Merc but I can pass cars along the shoreline that are going 60 :smash:

I'm really thinking serious about pulling the trigger on a 27zr. The only thing holding me back is that I think the rear seat headrests are ugly. I want the 27 for a better ride in the ruff and better cuddy for overnighters. Also the bolsters would be nice.

But for now, I love my little 22zx. Can tow it around like a little utility trailer, easy to launch, parks on a dime at the dock, holds it's own with the majority of the perfoemance boats here in the NW.... but also a chick magnet:beer:

Donzi LG
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I absolutely love my 22ZX! The cuddy is great for the extra storage space and changing area. Definietly a little tight getting in there but a great thing to have. Mine has the MX 6.2 and I added an EMI exhaust system last year. The boat is great to hang out on with the sun pad and swim platform and is a definite head turner. Here's a pic of the ****pit layout and cabin entrance.

John

The Hedgehog
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I absolutely love my 22ZX! The cuddy is great for the extra storage space and changing area. Definietly a little tight getting in there but a great thing to have. Mine has the MX 6.2 and I added an EMI exhaust system last year. The boat is great to hang out on with the sun pad and swim platform and is a definite head turner. Here's a pic of the ****pit layout and cabin entrance.
John

That is a beautiful setup. Very trick looking 22ZX

I like the trim and tab indicators. Are those stock?

Donzi LG
03-04-2008, 12:13 PM
That is a beautiful setup. Very trick looking 22ZX
I like the trim and tab indicators. Are those stock?

Thanks BG! Yes, the drive and tab indicators are stock although I haven't noticed them on alot of the 22s.

synack
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I had a 97 non-step 22ZX with a carb 454Mag. The best I did was 67.2 GPS on flat water. I ran out of room and had to turn, so it may have been able to do more, specially if it were a little wavier.

Shanghied Again
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Pontiac: the 454 Mag will run out at 68MPH depending on conditions you may squeeqe 69 your speedo is a Gaffrig 2 so she will show 5-6Mph more.There is room downstairs to sleep 2 adults, We slept on the boat once but swore we would never do that again only because there is not much air ventilation downstairs, we didn't have vents.

seascarab
03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I am having a 22zx non-stepped, so don´t know how a stepped version performs. having a 7.4l doing with cmi headers something around 62-64mph. very nice ride.
the cabin, did I say cabin, is difficult to enter, don´t know how many times :shocking: I wanted a bigger boat.
Some of the 22 zx have no tow ring for waterskiing etc. In my opinion a big disadvantage.

jdp_509
03-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I have a 2003 22 ZX 350 Mag with the stepped hull and love it. I do 63 mph gps WOT. I am saving for a whipple and exhaust. can't wait

Uncle Fester
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Makes my knees hurt just thinking about this coming summer....lol

pontiac
03-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you very much uncle fester!!! I have wanted a pic of the door with someone gong though it. I also have been looking for a pic with the camera out side with someone sitting inside the cabin. for size. gives me a better idea. how big of a guy are you?

I am 6'1 and under 190

Uncle Fester
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm 5'10" and 215 lbs with a 36" waist. I'll dig around and see if I have some interior shots that are permitted to be shown here in the censored section....:smash:

BigGrizzly
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
The stock 454MPI will run about 63 on a good daqy- this isn't the mag. regardless of the prop.

pontiac
03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I found another one with a new 496 ho in a 2000 22zx, bravo 1X drive, any ideas what it should run>?

BigGrizzly
03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
The 496HO is the same speed as the 454HO. Horse power is the about the same. What happened to the original engine, why was it replaced? 2000 didn't have a 496 option.

pontiac
03-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Thats what i asked, he said it came with a 350 mag, and had a mrec dealer put in the 496. has a bravo 1 x drive put on with the bigger motor. does not seam to make that much sence. but who knows still looking.

SilverBack
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
If you plan on doing any supercharging the 454 MAG is a lot better platform. I am pretty sure the 496 has cast internals.

pontiac
03-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I have been on the river/ocean since I was 2 month old. everything from a 42 foot sail boat, to 33 foot fourmulas. to 19 foot bow riders, and had a 20 foot mastercraft last year.
I am going to use the boat for running up the river and tying up and drinking, and sometimes camp on it. I am not worried about spinning the stepped hull or doing something stupid in it.

I am leaning to the STOCK 454 mag, with only 230 hours. on it. but lil grizz boat has me thinking real hard. The boat that was a sbc and now a 496 is not on my list as of now. I like the color and the fact that lil grizz boat is all ready set up nice. but i do not want to spend this kind of money and then have the motor pop becasue of the blower after a few hundred hours. the stock one should be fine for well over 800 hours. so my worry is with the blower ont he motor. but that also is what makes me keep looking at it. jsut wish there was away to know that the engine is going to be good for just as long. I am not one that runs a boat wide ass open all the time. just would like to be able to hit those speeds when my dad tries to pass me onthe way to the beach!!

Lil Grizz
03-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I can speak for my powertrain performance with the 22ZX. Its a heavy boat. Very solid.

7.4mpi 310hp w/Bravo 24p was 58-62mph and was the factory setup. I Added the Whipple and a 30p (approx 500hp now) and it went 76mph the next day. After the tuning was done it went 81mph GPS at sea level but at home it would only run about 78. The Stainless Marine Exhaust and a little bit of trim now gets me a solid 80 GPS most of the time.

I know that when it only ran 60 I beat all those guys who said they were going 70 and now that its going 80 I've been blowing by all of those other "80mph" guys like they were standing still. You cant bluff the GPS.