PDA

View Full Version : Answers Please

BS
09-23-2002, 09:38 AM
In July I bought a 1988 Z33-Crossbow. According to the speedo it was doing 33mph at 3000rpm, 33mph according to gps. I thought it was a little slow from what I read on this site, but was still happy and didn't worry about it.

About two weeks ago I took my bride for a sunset ride, when the sun went down it was dark, new moon and cloudy. We hit a submerged object. I felt the outdrives jump and immediately shut the throttles down. Could not hear problems, so started easying throttles up. Could not hear or feel problems so eased back to 3000rpm, speedo showed 30mph, so thought maybe I had gotten lucky.

When I got the boat home and on the lift and saw the damage, I cried. I had totally destroyed both props, both lower units, and knocked a hole in the bottom of the boat. Thank God for insurance.

Here's my question. Why would I get the same speed at the rpms all this damage.

Thanks for the help.
Bill

McGary911
09-23-2002, 10:36 AM
Bill,
You did lose 3 mph, so you did lose some speed. I'm actually surprised that you didn't feel some vibration from the trashed props. I've blown a blade off a prop before, and it felt like the world was coming to an end. The bad blades, possible drives out of alignment, and the hole in the boat, cost you 3 mph...i am surprised it didn't slow you down more. Glad your bilge pump was up to the task of keeping your boat floating. Good luck with the repairs. Maybe you can post a pic of the damage and someone will be able to provide more info, not to mention satisfying my morbid sense of curiosity.

Happy repairs,

BS
09-23-2002, 01:06 PM
McGary

The speedo always showed 3 mph less then the gps.

I thought about taking pictures, but to be honest it made me sick to look at it. I think perhaps the dealer doing the repairs will take pictures and if so I will post them.

I also was very surprised there was no noticable vibration. I was very impressed with the boat.

Bill