PDA

View Full Version : Rubber hub vs. solid

ky-donzi
03-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Got a question. If you have a Bravo I drive and approx. 450-475 crank hp. Would you want to run a rubber hub or solid? What are the pros and cons of each. Thanks

Sam
03-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Something has to give if you have a prop strike :eek!:. If you have a rubber hub you have a better chance of no drive damage vs. a solid prop. Chances are if you have a strike with a solid hub your drive will suffer some sort of damage, that of course will depend on the circumstances of the strike.

MOP
03-02-2008, 01:01 PM
The rubber hubs were initially developed to protect the clutch dogs by reducing the shock of engagement in lower units. They may help a little with impact! They are a must on Alphas, an Alpha running a solid hub prop will eat clutch dogs very quickly.

Added note as to torque, my local prop shop torque checks the hubs to over 600lbs, that may help with your thoughts.

Phil

yeller
03-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I've been running a solid hub because that's what the boat came with. DonCig has finally convinced me to try a rubber hub, but I don't know if I'm really sold on the idea. I really don't know if they'll give you protection if you hit something. In theory, it sounds as if they should, but in reality, if you hit something at speed, will the hub really absorb enough of the force to prevent any breakage? When hitting an object at speed, I would think the impact of the prop hitting the object would be enough to break stuff (think sledgehammer hitting your prop). The hub may protect you from damages due to excessive torque when the prop rotation is stopped suddenly, but I'd think the major damage would already be done.

I'm thinking the rubber hub might just be an extra inconvenience to me when it lets go simply due to too much engine torque.

I'd be very interested to hear from someone where the rubber hub saved them $$ personally.

BigGrizzly
03-02-2008, 02:11 PM
There is no question, Rubber is the way to go -not for the impact but for the gears. We did a lot of testing and had a lot o lower unit failures related to solid hubs. Honda won't approve any propeller that has a solid hub. I use one and as a prop dealer I caqn use anything I want. I you guys say that there is not a problem with solid hubs -show me the data. The "I never had a problem" statement doesn't flush here. BTW Mercury has never done a real comparison on the two. Solas has and Honda has and both have the same out come

yeller
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
BigGrizzly, I remember seeing a post where you said you used a hub by Solas.....(I forget the name). I checked all over the net for info on that hub and couldn't find any real data on it...even on the Solas site. Also, couldn't find one rated at more than 250hp. Can you give me some info on the hub your using, and why you like it better than the Merc one?

BigGrizzly
03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I have been testing the Rubex hub for over a year, with no issues. Dr Solas won't Stick his neck out on this, because of other legal issues. Solas is quite informed of my use. No company will back 690 HP on a rubber hub. Fact remains it works. Merc doesn't like to rate their hubs either- they do it but don't like it.

roadtrip se
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
for my 500EFI boat, all solid.

Don't want to know how many times I messed around with spun rubber hubs on lesser powered boats.

ky-donzi
03-03-2008, 07:35 AM
So what I gather 450-500 hp is about the turning point between the two. Is that correct?

Carl C
03-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I spun a hub on an outboard once and could only go at idle speed. It makes your heart sink when the motor revs and you don't go anywhere and you're praying to God that it's a spun hub and not a broken driveshaft or something. The fact that I'd still move at idle led me to correctly diagnose the problem.:propeller:

BlownCrewCab
03-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Not to weigh in either way, but a funny story about rubber hubs, Me And Brownie where fishing just off Haulover Cut in Miami and spun a rubber Hub, The Tide was coming out of the cut at 2.11 Knots, all we culd get out of the spun hub 2.12 knots. let me tell you that was the Slowest 1/2 mile ever traveled by boat. if another boat came by their wake would push us back 50yds then we'd have to try again. Plenty of Heinekins on hand so not all was bad.

chappy
03-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Not to weigh in either way, but a funny story about rubber hubs, Me And Brownie where fishing just off Haulover Cut in Miami and spun a rubber Hub, The Tide was coming out of the cut at 2.11 Knots, all we culd get out of the spun hub 2.12 knots. let me tell you that was the Slowest 1/2 mile ever traveled by boat. if another boat came by their wake would push us back 50yds then we'd have to try again. Plenty of Heinekins on hand so not all was bad.
Man, what I wouldn't pay for a video clip of that 1/2 mile.:drinkbeer::D

mjw930
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Is it possible that a lot of the "spun hub" stories are based on either the older pressed in hubs or the original Flo-Torque adapters and with the latest material used (not rubber) the Flo-Torque II hubs are less likely to spin? Of course I can't speak to the materials used in Turbo, or other props.

BTW, both my drive guy and prop guy said use the new Flo-Torque II "rubber" hub to help preserve the drive. They both said that unless I was spending a lot of time airborne (re-entry is the most likely time to spin a hub) then I shouldn't have a problem up to 500 or so HP.

BigGrizzly
03-03-2008, 09:50 AM
The Rub ex hub can't spin even if the rubber is denigrated. I don't know if the ZR spline is available yet. The old rubber press in did have an issue. They are better but not great. The old flow torque wqs nice when it spun just wait till it cooled then limp home. That is if you cough it soon enough. BTW they do spin on bass boats with as low as 200 hp. I have had issues with the metal flow torque hub, won't go into it here. The other part is you won't find anyone at Merc who will say anything about it that isn't a sales pitch. What I will say is that I have and use a rubber hub that Won't spin and fits the square drive props.

mjw930
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
What I will say is that I have and use a rubber hub that Won't spin and fits the square drive props.

Any way for us normal folks to get our hands on these?

VetteLT193
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm curious as to how much 'give' is in the rubber... is it measured in millimeters, inches, or ?

BigGrizzly
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
M**930- the hub is radially available. I sell them as do most solas selling dealers. it was released to the public around July 2007. I didn't keep it quiet but didn't stand up on my soap box either. Sorry vet I don't know the answer on the deflexion but it was done on the metric scale.

ky-donzi
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Big Griz

Will that hub you sell adapt a Bravo I drive to a mirage prop? Excuse my ignorance about this but I'm new to the non-solid hub props thanks

BigGrizzly
03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
As long as it is not the XR prop shaft. All the Merc square drives props are the same.

BigGrizzly
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
The hubs go for about $40 + shipping