PDA

View Full Version : Tested new prop today

catch 22
03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I finally got enough nerve to test my new prop. Between Sarasota and the lake by the house my Q-IV lab 31 has had more work on it than Joan Rivers. The new prop is a 15.5-31P CNC from Throttle Up. Julie at Throttle Up told me that if it didn't work we would go to plan B (?), as long as it was in the same condition that she sent it to me in. If I damaged it in any way, shape, or form it was mine as in $1100.00 mine. The handling was as close to my Q-IV than any other prop I've tried. The acceleration to say the least was AWESOME. It got on a plane with basically no cavitation. The only issue was in a slow turn it kept wanting to lose it's bite. The rpm's were a little higher than I like at 5300 to 5325. Here's a pic of how she ran with me and 3/4 tank of fuel.

BUIZILLA
03-01-2008, 06:00 PM
tell her you need another 2".... :cool:

BlownCrewCab
03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, You got 9.2 mph (J/K) How many rpm??? Why Only 35 psi Oil Pressure?? I'd think your at least turning 5K and your oil psi should be at least 50 psi. Is that a trick photo??

Barry Eller
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM

One of my ex-wives told me the same thing...:doh:

That is FAST!

I have a Hydro Q-IV 23". I love the way they handle. Of course I'm not going that fast and I could use more pitch also.

catch 22
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
NO Photo Shop here. I made a pass and I was idling when I took the picture with my I-Phone. I hit the recall on the GPS.

BlownCrewCab
03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
That Explains the low oil pressure then, You Gots a pretty fast boat, Good job..

chappy
03-01-2008, 08:29 PM
:worthy:

bob haver
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
thats awesome jim ,they can cut back the rpms if needed are you looking for 5200,how was the tourqe steering if any oh thats right you have hdy steering ,please be careful in tampa bay you know the whole sand thing.very impressive numbers:cool:

ote=catch 22;440543]I finally got enough nerve to test my new prop. Between Sarasota and the lake by the house my Q-IV lab 31 has had more work on it than Joan Rivers. The new prop is a 15.5-31P CNC from Throttle Up. Julie at Throttle Up told me that if it didn't work we would go to plan B (?), as long as it was in the same condition that she sent it to me in. If I damaged it in any way, shape, or form it was mine as in $1100.00 mine. The handling was as close to my Q-IV than any other prop I've tried. The acceleration to say the least was AWESOME. It got on a plane with basically no cavitation. The only issue was in a slow turn it kept wanting to lose it's bite. The rpm's were a little higher than I like at 5300 to 5325. Here's a pic of how she ran with me and 3/4 tank of fuel.[/quote]

SilverBack
03-02-2008, 04:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing as BCC when I first looked at the picture!! That is screaming. I have heard that you are about the fastest 22 out there. What engine setup are you running? What RPM are you looking for? Great job!! I know that you are very pleased!

Mr X
03-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Very nice Jim,
Hope you are wearing a racing jacket and kill switch.

Is your water temp gauge broken?

Cuda
03-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Very nice Jim,
Hope you are wearing a racing jacket and kill switch.
Is your water temp gauge broken?
He, and Gina, always were Lifelines, and Jimmy wears the kill tether.

Carl C
03-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Catch 22, I have gathered from this site that you have one of the fastest, if not THE fastest, 22Cs here. We know from your signature that you are running a blown BBC but I and probably others would like to know more about your set-up and what it takes to get a 22C into the 90s and what this hull feels like to drive at that speed.:eek!:

catch 22
03-02-2008, 08:45 AM
502stang, here's a pic of my engine setup. It's a 454 mag MPI with an M-3 Pro Charger. I run 7lbs of boost. The motor had 134hrs on it when I Pro Charged it. It had great compression all the way around so we took the heads and had them magnaflexed and cleaned up. No crazy head work done. New Manely Severe Duty Intake valves and Extreme Duty Inconel exhaust valves. Crane Valve springs and roller rockers. The bottom end was never taken apart. Stock cam, intake, and injectors. The ECM is stock. 5200rpm is the sweet spot that I like to be at. Stock Mercury Thunderbolt ignition. Stainless Marine exhaust.

catch 22
03-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Ted, Pro Charger wants the motor to run as cool as possible. There is no thermostat it is raw water cooled. Water temp is always around 100 Unless I run aground on a sandbar in Tampa Bay.:nilly::nilly::bonk: Gina & I always wear our Life Line Jackets and kill tether.

SilverBack
03-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Catch 22,
Sweet...That is a very sweet looking setup! How long have you been running 7psi of boost? Any problems? It sounds like we have very similar engine setups except for my oddball intercooler and injectors. Like I said before ...very cool!!!

catch 22
03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Catch 22, I have gathered from this site that you have one of the fastest, if not THE fastest, 22Cs here. We know from your signature that you are running a blown BBC but I and probably others would like to know more about your set-up and what it takes to get a 22C into the 90s and what this hull feels like to drive at that speed.:eek!:
I don't know about the fastest one out there, but thanks anyway. I know I don't have to tell anybody this but it takes a couple of $$ to get here. The best upgrade that I ever did to the boat is the Marine Machine full hydraulic steering. It made all the difference in the world. Even before I Pro Charged the boat, but as for the handling the prop has a lot to say in how it handles. The best prop that I have run on the boat to date is the Hydromotive Q-IV. It's a lab 31P. I've tried quite a few over the years and the Q-IV makes the wifey very happy and me to for that matter. I am going to talk to Julie at Throttle Up on Monday about the CNC. I think it has potential. As for what it feels like it's very stable and for the most part pretty predictable. There is a time and place to run at this speed as things come up pretty quick.

catch 22
03-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Catch 22,
Sweet...That is a very sweet looking setup! How long have you been running 7psi of boost? Any problems? It sounds like we have very similar engine setups except for my oddball intercooler and injectors. Like I said before ...very cool!!!
Thanks, I have been running 7psi of boost for about a year now. I put the smaller pulley on just before the AOTH 07. No problems since the day we installed it. Me and the wife like the mannerism of the boat with the Pro Charger. Mr. X and GEOO helped me out a lot when I was planning this little endeavor. Along with the priceless information of this entire board. DONZI.NET ROCKS!!! :rock::thewave:

SilverBack
03-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll second that!!! Donzi.net does ROCK!!!!! I know that I would not have been anywhere on my project without this website and all of these great people!!

BigGrizzly
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Nice going Jim, there isn't much left to say, the gauges say it all

Carl C
03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
That's really quite an acomplishment :clap:. Thanks for sharing.

Air 22
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Jim....sweet numbers..:wink: You sure have one beautiful boat that hauls some serious azz!:worthy:

I know of one other 22 Classic on Lake George, NY owned by a friend of mine Jim DeNooyer...a Limited Edition 22 Classic w/ an HP500 Whipple run's low 90's as well. It appears that JIM is a fast name when owning a 22 Classic....lol:wink:

It will be interesting to see Mr. X's number's as well...:cool:

Again...nice work!!!:thewave:

SilverBack
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately for us...I think Ted’s (Mr. X), Bill’s (Big Green), Bryan’s (Last Real Texan) and my boats are currently all going the same speed!!!! I think that Catch 22 has us all by a little over 90 MPH right now. I guess this is really good for me since I will be pulling up the rear in May!!

osur866
03-03-2008, 12:26 AM
should be very pleased and proud of that run:thumbsup: nice job. Steve

Cuda
03-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I always told Jimmy, that his 454 was a "Junior Achiever" engine, since it wasn't a 502. :)

Carl C
03-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I always told Jimmy, that his 454 was a "Junior Achiever" engine, since it wasn't a 502. :) I figured he'd be closer to 600 cubes. A junior achiever for sure.:smash:

ITTLFLI
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Nice work Catch!
:eek!: :)

BigGrizzly
03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
One minor detail Jim also runs a shorty. And has spent countless hours seat time. This doesn't happen overnight. Jim comes from the old school and only does what is tried and true! One major exception is his gorgeous paint and graphics!!! This boat is a show piece!

yeller
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Catch22, did you notice much difference going to 7lbs? I always thought you were hitting 90 at 5psi.

Last Real Texan
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately for us...I think Ted’s (Mr. X), Bill’s (Big Green), Bryan’s (Last Real Texan) and my boats are currently all going the same speed!!!! I think that Catch 22 has us all by a little over 90 MPH right now. I guess this is really good for me since I will be pulling up the rear in May!!
Yes indeed torn down and in a million peices.....that is changing though.

Last Real Texan
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Catch , Great #'s for sure. NIce clean sleeper until you open the hatch. Looking forward to seeing all of the great projects coming to AOTH this year. 90 plus in a 22 classic is flat out hualing the mail for sure....So how did the CNC prop handle? any strange quirks that it has? Keep up the good work!

Bryan

catch 22
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Catch22, did you notice much difference going to 7lbs? I always thought you were hitting 90 at 5psi.
There was a NOTICEABLE difference in the mid-range (40-80mph) from the 5psi to the 7psi. I was running right at 90mph with the 5psi(on a good day). Last year at the AOTH 07 I had the Hydro Q-IV 31p on and that was the first time I had run the boat with 7psi. Unfortunately I had a bad receiver on my GPS and could not get my mph. Here's a pic of her first (90mph) run with 5psi of boost and 31p Q-IV. I don't know where the extra 2+mph came from. Weather it was from the boost change or the new prop. I need to run the Hydro Q-IV now to compare.

catch 22
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Catch , Great #'s for sure. NIce clean sleeper until you open the hatch. Looking forward to seeing all of the great projects coming to AOTH this year. 90 plus in a 22 classic is flat out hualing the mail for sure....So how did the CNC prop handle? any strange quirks that it has? Keep up the good work!
Bryan
Bryan, the CNC handled surprisingly well. The only issue I had was that it wanted to blow out in a slow turn (the Q-IV doesn't). The rpm's were a touch to high. I spoke with Julie today at Throttle Up and she said that all it needed was a little more cup to improve the bite in the turns. She also said that it would bring my rpm's down about 100 and that's where it likes to be. No strange quirks at all. Pretty predictable.

catch 22
03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Jim, Gina said tell her something that she don't already know.:nilly::nilly: