PDA

View Full Version : 18 Triple Hatch W/Volvo X Dim Question???

BlownCrewCab
03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Has anyone Raised the X On a 18 with a Volvo? This is an older True V. I'm at the Point of Cutting the transom hole On "Donzi Racers" Nephews Boat But I Don't know if I should leave a stock X or is there any gain raising a Volvo 270/280. I Know with merc's thats where the speed is, Any Thoughts???

Lenny
03-02-2008, 03:02 AM
Volvo's have the same "X" as Mercs, BUT, you cannot measure from the bottom of the "V" up 14 1/2". It is a measurement based on the radiused bottom boats design. Template a radiused 18 and the hull bottom, place the tracing against the transom of the hard keel boat and THEN measure up 14 1/2".

The prop shaft centerline between the two is all but identical to the crankshaft centerline in distance between the two kinds of drives.

Now, how that will work on a hard keel boat I DO NOT KNOW.

Donzi Vol
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the input Lenny. Gents, anymore help? I wanna go FAST! :yes:

Lenny
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Like I said, 14 1/2 " is a vertical measurement on a radiused KEEL boat. I do NOT know where to locate it on an older hard keel boat. I will send you a link for the same question to ask. As I said, TEMPLATE the transom bottom to the outside chine of a radiused keel boat, place that template on your transom, mark the bottom of the radius on the transom and go up 14 1/2". That puts you stock on a Radiused Keel hull and will "probably allow the motor" to clear the hatch still, BUT, will it aireate ??? I do not know.

:)

BigGrizzly
03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
All lowers may benefit from a raised X so I am toled. Gene D did an ss on his and I was not impressed. If you raise the X I don't know really what will happen on that hull. I am sure it will affect the handling in a negative way. Me I would just put more HP in the engine.

MOP
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
What some do not know is the later drives with the exhaust coming through the cav plate also gives extra stern lift. This was to help lift azz heavy boats, that drive should be raised a tad more then the older drives.

Phil

BlownCrewCab
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
David / Tom, Bring me a Bigger Motor:smash: And another lb of $20's. I'll try to figure out where the previous cutout had the Prop/cavitation plate and see where it was, I may leave it if it doesn't look to low. Heck, a good set of heads is worth an Inch of X anyday.

Donzi Vol
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM
David / Tom, Bring me a Bigger Motor:smash: And another lb of $20's.

I'll see what I can do. I'll sell another couple cases of french fries or something...haha. Nah, just keep on cruising and we'll keep you supplied!

Donzi Racer
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
All lowers may benefit from a raised X so I am toled. Gene D did an ss on his and I was not impressed. If you raise the X I don't know really what will happen on that hull. I am sure it will affect the handling in a negative way. Me I would just put more HP in the engine.

I agree with the Big Grizz. Keep thinking STOCK Stock stock. ORIGINAL Kinda. ha ha Hey VOL boy, you want to go fast, come to Florida. ha ha Poor Mike, he wants to make this a go fast rocket and I want to hang anchors off the back. ha ha Tom

Donzi Vol
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I agree with the Big Grizz. Keep thinking STOCK Stock stock. ORIGINAL Kinda. ha ha Hey VOL boy, you want to go fast, come to Florida. ha ha Poor Mike, he wants to make this a go fast rocket and I want to hang anchors off the back. ha ha Tom

Haha. Fair enough...I'm more of an eye-candy type anyway! :wink:

Donzi Vol
03-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey Racer, can I guess what number 10 is? :wink: