PDA

View Full Version : rain x?

gero1
02-29-2008, 06:43 AM
just wondering what would happen if you put rain x on the bottom of a boat? its pretty slick stuff and my old boat needs all the help it can get

Morgan's Cloud
02-29-2008, 07:02 AM
It is slick on glass , no doubt about that , but I think that like using even a good wax , water friction/pressure will probably take it all off after a mile or two ...
But don't be afraid to try it and let us know .. it can't be any worse than that old 'speedwax' stuff ... :tongue::D

synack
02-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Rain-X is essentially a glass polish. I would think that a quality marine polish would give you a similar effect and it would probably be better for the gelcoat than Rain-X.

Carl C
02-29-2008, 07:14 AM
You're not supposed to polish the bottom. If anything you should rough it up with sandpaper to break up surface tension. (that won't happen to my boat though) Or, like Morgan's Cloud said, do a search for Speedwax!:smash:

MOP
02-29-2008, 07:56 AM
I am with Carl my 22 has a sanded bottom, also my racing sail boats did not have polished bottoms my local record attested to the fact slick just donĀ“t work as well.

Phil

cutwater
02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
So here's something I've never really understood, looks like now is a good time to ask (sorry for the hijack). If a smooth gel finish is good, and slightly rough gel finish is even better, why does the dreaded bottom paint make you lose 5 mph? What is it about bottom paint that is so much worse than gel or Imron when it comes to speed?

VetteLT193
02-29-2008, 08:36 AM
http://www.mothboat.com/CMBA/Building/notwax.htm

that's a good read... sailing related, but interesting anyway.

BigGrizzly
02-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Rain-X is a polymer not really a polish. It fills the pores of glass to reduce the water stiction and reduce static energy.I have done it and there is no change. I actually did a comparison on the hull with Rain-X and Leverage polish, the leverage won on fiberglass and painted surfaces. On glass I would use Rain-X. as for speed on the classic hull, with the speeds we go and the density of the water you will not see any difference. Sanding the hull just gives water crud a better place to hold on to, which will slow you down. I would rather have a boat that is one mile per hour slower then have a dirty a$$ ring around it! Theory is good but honest testing is truth! If you guys want to sand your hull go for it, not me. If you do take a GPS and you will be disappointed. Now for the brushed lower unit try a spray on wax or a Pledge product before you dump it in. this helps on the corrosion issue.

The Hedgehog
02-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Rain-X is a polymer not really a polish. It fills the pores of glass to reduce the water stiction and reduce static energy.I have done it and there is no change. I actually did a comparison on the hull with Rain-X and Leverage polish, the leverage won on fiberglass and painted surfaces. On glass I would use Rain-X. as for speed on the classic hull, with the speeds we go and the density of the water you will not see any difference. Sanding the hull just gives water crud a better place to hold on to, which will slow you down. I would rather have a boat that is one mile per hour slower then have a dirty a$$ ring around it! Theory is good but honest testing is truth! If you guys want to sand your hull go for it, not me. If you do take a GPS and you will be disappointed. Now for the brushed lower unit try a spray on wax or a Pledge product before you dump it in. this helps on the corrosion issue.

That is a pretty good tip on the spray on wax for the lower to fight corrosion. I was wondering about that since I store my boat on a hydrahoist. I will give that a shot.

RedDog
02-29-2008, 09:41 AM
... Now for the brushed lower unit try a spray on wax or a Pledge product before you dump it in. this helps on the corrosion issue.

That protects the external finish but what about the internal passages?

roadtrip se
02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
and forget about the magic dust in a bottle there Gero!

Morgan's Cloud
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
So here's something I've never really understood, looks like now is a good time to ask (sorry for the hijack). If a smooth gel finish is good, and slightly rough gel finish is even better, why does the dreaded bottom paint make you lose 5 mph? What is it about bottom paint that is so much worse than gel or Imron when it comes to speed?
There's a massive difference between a gelcoat bottom that's been 'burnished' and one that's been anti-fouled.

Sam
02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
A supper slick bottom will create surface tension between the water and your boat bottom. If anything you want to wet sand the bottom and leave it. That being said most of us are not running fast enough for it to make much difference.

VetteLT193
02-29-2008, 03:01 PM

I would put money that 99% of pleasure boats that are waxed will be faster than unwaxed. This is simply because the waxed ones will generally be the cleanest.

It's not documented anywhere I've seen that wet sanding a hull is actually faster (or slower). Even on boats like the ones used in America's cup, the sanding of the hull is more for team building than actual performance (check that link I posted above).

Bottom paint is super rough... wet sanding with a super fine grit still leaves a virtually smooth surface.

BigGrizzly
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
As for the inside passages of the drive in Salt or high calcium waters the is a product called Salt away. it is sold at most boating stores and Overton's. Flush out the motor or spray it on or in per the instructions. It is a good Idea to flush before going in salt too. the stuff really works pretty well.

The Hedgehog
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
That protects the external finish but what about the internal passages?

When I put it in the salt, I will use that salt away.

As far as the internals up here, I am hoping that it is not any worse than the lakes of Alabama:wink: Unless being close to the Tennessee vols has some kind of adverse corrosion effect that I have not considered:smash:

I do hope that it has had an effect on our Mr McLamb though!

smokediver
02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
just put a little dawn or any liquid dishsoap in the hose bib end of the hose and flush away ... works just as good as salt away :yes::yes::yes: