PDA

View Full Version : 500 EFI winter upgrade started....

Last Real Texan
02-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Well I figured I was going to have to do the valve springs @ the 200 hour mark and it would have fallen smack in the middle of my summer....So I figured while I was in there I would upgrade the heads and gaskets at the same time. Well it is a good thing I decided to do this, my head gaskets were about to give out and that would have been very bad so I am upgrading some things
Brodix Big Brodie heads...320 CC fully ported and polished
Going to stud the heads instead of using head bolts
55 lb injectors
2 BAR Map sensor
Upgrade the computer
Cometic head gaskets
upgrading the Bravo to an Imco Extrteme SC upper, already have a 2 inch shorty
and last but not least ....the reason for all of this...7-8 lbs of boost instead of 5 lbs I was currently running.
Hopefully all of this with the added boost will push me into the high 80's, currently running a best of 85 and change GPS...
So all in all it seems to be going well, you all know I do my own work so it is taking some time to do it but in the end I think it will be worth all of the effort...nothing like bloody knuckles in the morning....So if anyone needs a set of injectors or great 088 heads from a 500 EFI let me know.
now if I can just get myself back to my whaler project for AOTH things will be all good.
Tex

BERTRAM BOY
02-26-2008, 04:45 PM
What kind of valve springs are you using that you need to change them out at 200 hours? Also what cam are you using?

The Hedgehog
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
You should be within 50 to 75 hp of me. That boat should sound pretty important!

I am sure that you will do it as methodical and correct as usual.

Of course I am saying that as a confidence booster since I know you are agonizing about having your motor torn down and pieces are all over your shop. J/K, you will get it together and tuned flawlessly. I am sure that you feel better about it now as you took a nice peek at that head gasket that was getting ready to go.

The Hedgehog
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
What kind of valve springs are you using that you need to change them out at 200 hours? Also what cam are you using?

I think that is standard maintenance for the EFI 500 heads at 200 hours.

Last Real Texan
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Stock Cam and springs.....but the 500 efi's were notorious for spring failure after 200 hours...more so with the HP 500's....so it is really just preventitive maintenance more than anything. But add the boost and running hard and you get the picture. Better to be safe than sorry. All of the springs looked good but the head gakets were another story, now for the really good part the lack of milkshake was pleasing when the intake came off....good thing I have an oil thermostat in there.... the color on the combustion chambers and valves was perfect, well a little on the light side for me but there was no damage thank god!
Having the motor torn in to pieces is a little unsettling but the piece of mind come spring will be nice.....will post some pictures when I take them..
Tex

BERTRAM BOY
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Are you using Crane springs?

Last Real Texan
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Are you using Crane springs?
Replacements are crane # 929 Springs

SilverBack
02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Bryan,
Congrats on starting your project. 8 PSI that is going to be a hot setup! Do you thing that SC upper is going to hang with you? Are you going to change the cam out? My engine guy says that 1 psi is close to a 33 ci equivalent. It sounds like you and Bill are going to be running neck and neck. Are you running dual ram steering? I can't wait for us to get all of these ZX's together and get out on the water. Do you have any idea how much your boat weighs? Good luck with everything and I hope your knuckles make it though ok!

Last Real Texan
02-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Bryan,
Congrats on starting your project. 8 PSI that is going to be a hot setup! Do you thing that SC upper is going to hang with you? Are you going to change the cam out? My engine guy says that 1 psi is close to a 33 ci equivalent. It sounds like you and Bill are going to be running neck and neck. Are you running dual ram steering? I can't wait for us to get all of these ZX's together and get out on the water. Do you have any idea how much your boat weighs? Good luck with everything and I hope your knuckles make it though ok!
I already have a full dual ram hydrualic steering system from stem to stern. Love it makes driving the boat much nicer. As for the drive, I am hoping it will hold up, I am not really hard on the drive coming out of the hole and roll into the throttle instead of smashing it down when I want to go, so I guess you could say I am nice to it. I just inspected the upper I am keeping for a spare, It is a standard Bravo I with Straigh cut XR gears installed in the upper. I was exspecting to see some bad chattering on the teeth but was amazed at how good it looked, no wear at all. I do change the gear oil at 20 hour intervals just to keep an eye on it so I must be doing something right. I made it last all season, about 50 hours behind the procharger and all is good. So again I will be easy on the Imco Sc and hope for the best. Like I said above it started as maintenance but it spiralled in to a full blown project, but hey I like projects. Boat is fast as it is but a little more is always nice.
As for Bill he will be faster this year for sure....he deserves it, he has always wanted a really fast boat and now I think he has it it's all good!
not sure what the boat weighs but I know I just took a ton out of the ass getting rid of those heavy ass Iron Heads....man those things weigh a ton!

BERTRAM BOY
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Replacements are crane # 929 Springs

Have you looked into Isky Tool Room springs? The engine builder I've been working with gets a lot more hours than 200 from a set of Isky springs.

SilverBack
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I know what you mean about those heads!! I took off cast iron heads and manifolds. I think that MPI weighs about as much as my procharger, super chiller and throttle body. I also took out two huge tractor looking batteries and put two optima’s in. I am hanging a little more weight off the back but I am saving bunches in the bilge!!

SilverBack
02-27-2008, 04:51 AM
So are you going with an aftermarket cam? You are going to have to turn that M-3 a lot harder to get 8psi with those BIG Brodies and a bigger cam. It will be a sweet setup though. Isn't your engine 502? Are you doing any short block work? When is Mr. Top Secret going to start a thread on his boat? I think that he said something about your boat used to be a racing hull. Does it have regular interior? Does you step hull have a Delta Pad? Notched transom? What are you thinking about on props? Types, pitch, blades?

The Hedgehog
02-27-2008, 09:04 AM
I already have a full dual ram hydrualic steering system from stem to stern. Love it makes driving the boat much nicer. As for the drive, I am hoping it will hold up, I am not really hard on the drive coming out of the hole and roll into the throttle instead of smashing it down when I want to go, so I guess you could say I am nice to it. I just inspected the upper I am keeping for a spare, It is a standard Bravo I with Straigh cut XR gears installed in the upper. I was exspecting to see some bad chattering on the teeth but was amazed at how good it looked, no wear at all. I do change the gear oil at 20 hour intervals just to keep an eye on it so I must be doing something right. I made it last all season, about 50 hours behind the procharger and all is good. So again I will be easy on the Imco Sc and hope for the best. Like I said above it started as maintenance but it spiralled in to a full blown project, but hey I like projects. Boat is fast as it is but a little more is always nice.
As for Bill he will be faster this year for sure....he deserves it, he has always wanted a really fast boat and now I think he has it it's all good!
not sure what the boat weighs but I know I just took a ton out of the ass getting rid of those heavy ass Iron Heads....man those things weigh a ton!

Heck, I won't be much faster. The neat thing about your project is that you are doing it yourself and getting a serious bang for the buck. I know it will be done right. From the Madmax steering to the used blower. I would not be totally shocked if you found a used ASD-7 conversion setup laying around and pulled that off next year.

Heck, I thought that you had it dialed in beautifully last year and then you bought an O-2 sensor just to totally verify your programming. You were right to do so even though Mark has run this program on the same exact combo many times. I have learned that all engines have subtle differences and it is the best way to go.

My hat's off to you for taking a 27ZX to places that others thought it would not go and doing it with style.

SilverBack
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
LRT,
Bill told me when I first started talking to him about his friend that was a mechanical genius that had made this Mad Max steering. I did not know that it was you. Man that sounds so cool. I wish that I could work on my own stuff and do cool stuff like that. I know that you have to feel very good knowing that you did it yourself!!

I was talking to Michael about my project and it sounds like he can do anything with a boat. Hull or motor.

I really envy you guys!!

Last Real Texan
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Heck, I won't be much faster. The neat thing about your project is that you are doing it yourself and getting a serious bang for the buck. I know it will be done right. From the Madmax steering to the used blower. I would not be totally shocked if you found a used ASD-7 conversion setup laying around and pulled that off next year.
Heck, I thought that you had it dialed in beautifully last year and then you bought an O-2 sensor just to totally verify your programming. You were right to do so even though Mark has run this program on the same exact combo many times. I have learned that all engines have subtle differences and it is the best way to go.
My hat's off to you for taking a 27ZX to places that others thought it would not go and doing it with style.
Looking for a used Arneson as we speak, Spoke with Rik in california today and he is helping me look for one as well, am looking for a complete conversion set up from Bravo to Arneson that some one balked on, installed and it never worked out for them.

Bryan

SilverBack
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I found an ox for ASD 8 new in the box for 8500. It has the steering and trim tabs It doesn't have a transmission and you will have to move your engine forward because it is not the Bravo conversion. You may know of a work around for that but that is the information that I got.

BigGrizzly
03-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Its easier to get the extension case add the trans. Its been done before.

SilverBack
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
LRT,
How has it been going?? Any word on the project? Post some pictures.

Last Real Texan
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Been Sick as he!! and now I am headed out of town on wednesday, It will be buttened up by next friday. I will post some pics later this week.......

How about you things progressing?

Tex

SilverBack
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
It has been going good. Some of my parts from Cali aren't going to be here until Wednesday. Looking like the de-tune is not going too good. This engine doesn't like to back up. Looks like a new cam is in the works. Big heads and blowers are not easy to turn down.

SilverBack
03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
What size valves are you going with? Are you doing any porting? I think the big free flowing heads give the engine a whole different dynamic. I am learning way more than I ever wanted to!!

Last Real Texan
03-05-2008, 08:58 PM
What size valves are you going with? Are you doing any porting? I think the big free flowing heads give the engine a whole different dynamic. I am learning way more than I ever wanted to!!
Yes
Heads are fully Ported and worked over by a pro on a flow bench, as for the valves 1.88 and 2.30 . Also did quite a bit of work on the intake itself, as for the work it needed a lot of attention in the area where it mates to the head, the intake runners neck down really bad there and do not line up to well, well thats fixed and now all is well, this thing will like more boost for sure. All my parts are here and finished and now it is just time to put it all back together :smash:
Also going to re plumb the fuel a bit now that the rail is out, before it was to difficult to get to the end of the rail to run the regulator after the fuel rail and instead had to run it before it. Making up a couple of new lines to get it right, it is supposed to be much more responsive to pressure this way and the injectors like it better.
Thats all for now.
Tex

The Hedgehog
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
You are not well.

Your boat ran like a bat out of hell last year!

SilverBack
03-06-2008, 03:38 AM
It is amazing to me how after you put these big heads with big valves that are ported and port match your intake how little the boost level means!! I am glad that you have brand new beefed up drive because these things are hard to tune down after you open them up where they can breath!!

Last Real Texan
03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
You are not well.
Your boat ran like a bat out of hell last year!
Bill

You just figuring this out ? :shocking:
and you have known me for how long?

Thanks for the props

Last Real Texan
03-06-2008, 05:51 AM
It is amazing to me how after you put these big heads with big valves that are ported and port match your intake how little the boost level means!! I am glad that you have brand new beefed up drive because these things are hard to tune down after you open them up where they can breath!!
Good thing I don't plan on turning it down:smash:

SilverBack
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
How are things coming along? Are you back in the water yet? Got any pictures yet? AOTH is not too far away!!

The Hedgehog
04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Tex is working his tail off right now. I think he has a few more days to go. Then he will need to recover a few days and I am sure he will be back at it.

Last Real Texan
04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I am back and rested somewhat....Still working my tail off and just trying to get finished up for a while....Geez 42 days with out a day off but heck the money is good.............I will begin reassembling the 500 Efi this week and be back on the water in two weeks for testing before AOTH.... All the parts are finished and I have 3 pulleys for testing boost levels as well as a couple of spare O2 sensors for tuning.....Things are looking up for sure....Heads look great and I also opened up the stock 500 efi intake a lot...man you should have seen it talk about restriction city! should really flow well now.

Here is to getting things done and come on summer!

The Hedgehog
04-12-2008, 11:10 PM
I am back and rested somewhat....Still working my tail off and just trying to get finished up for a while....Geez 42 days with out a day off but heck the money is good.............I will begin reassembling the 500 Efi this week and be back on the water in two weeks for testing before AOTH.... All the parts are finished and I have 3 pulleys for testing boost levels as well as a couple of spare O2 sensors for tuning.....Things are looking up for sure....Heads look great and I also opened up the stock 500 efi intake a lot...man you should have seen it talk about restriction city! should really flow well now.
Here is to getting things done and come on summer!

Perfect in every way. I love the avatar. I am a serial t-bagger as well.

great project:wink: