PDA

View Full Version : Need 4" Exhaust Hose

Carl C
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Where can I purchase a couple feet of 4" ID exhaust hose that connects the exh to the tips? Thanks.

mjw930
02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Any West Marine or BoatersWorld should have some. I assume you have one or the other up there.

Carl C
02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Any West Marine or BoatersWorld should have some. I assume you have one or the other up there. BoatersWorld is right down the street. I'll try them. Thanks.

yeller
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I looked up places under "hoses" in the yellow pages when I needed some. A lot cheaper than buying from a marine store.

Carl C
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
I looked up places under "hoses" in the yellow pages when I needed some. A lot cheaper than buying from a marine store. Isn't it special heat resistant hose?

mjw930
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Isn't it special heat resistant hose?

It just needs to be marine exhaust rated. That covers heat and chemical resistance. The hose is usually wire reinforced and for longer runs, more than 12", it should be hard wall construction.

Carl C
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeller, if the pro-charger didn't melt yours down then I guess it's OK. It sounds like this stuff isn't hard to find so I'll find it locally. I cut a couple pieces a little too short when I put the headers on.:smash:

MOP
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Carl the hose is another thing not to skimp on! Don't settle for anything less then the blue silicone, it is very flexable and resists heat much better then rubber. The flex allows fo motion with out stessinf the exhaust, stiff marine rbber is the major cause of loosening hardware and cracked headers.
Corrected to silicone!!!!

Phil

blueliner
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Carl the hose is another thing not to skimp on! Don't settle for anything less then the blue neoprene, it is very flexable and resists heat much better then rubber. The flex allows fo motion with out stessinf the exhaust, stiff marine rbber is the major cause of loosening hardware and cracked headers.
Phil
DO YOU HAVE A PIC OF THIS BLUE NEOPRENE HOSE???

MOP
02-26-2008, 07:16 PM
This is the hose I and many others up here are using, I went with the 500 degree stuff. Yes a tad pricey but darn cheap insurance. Check the link below.

http://www.mesamarine.com/Trident.html

Carl C
02-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Mop, those are sweet! Should I get the ones with the hump for flex?

yeller
02-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Isn't it special heat resistant hose?Marine isn't the only industry that uses rubber exhaust hose. I went to a shop that specializes in hoses for industrial use. They're quite common actually. Haven't needed any for the new boat...this was for the old one. I looked at the silicone hose but didn't feel it was necessary for my application. Before you buy from a marine store or mail order, check your local industrial hose stores. You'd be suprised at the selection and quality of goods.

I just took a look at MOP's link and didn't see anything I couldn't get at a local store....except maybe the angled stuff, and maybe I could get that too...just never checked.

Carl C
02-27-2008, 07:00 AM
I just took a look at MOP's link and didn't see anything I couldn't get at a local store....except maybe the angled stuff, and maybe I could get that too...just never checked. Did you see the ones with 1 or 2 humps to allow flexing? My headers did not line up perfectly and what Mop said about that stiff hose putting tension on the exhaust makes a lot of sense. I had to back off the header bolts, put on the rubber hoses, tighten header bolts then tighten hose clamps. I cut one piece too short so it is only single clamped now. They were a real beotch to put on and Blueliner had an even worse misalignment. I do appreciate your help and always like to save some $$ but I'll plop down a couple hundred bucks for these hoses right now when I figure out which ones to order. Mop, again, should I get the hoses with the single hump or just a straight piece of the best hose??:alligator

BUIZILLA
02-27-2008, 07:22 AM
the hump hose will retain water and exhaust residue/contaminants in the pleating..

MOP
02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Jim may have a point, it also may hold water and cause freeze damage for some of us. I used the straight hose I have very little distance from the header/riser tips to the transom. 3 years so far so good!
Phil

BUIZILLA
02-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I had to buy some 14" x 36" hose for some exhaust work recently... it was OVER $1500 including shipping for just 2 pieces of hose :doh: :doh: :smash:

and that didn't include the 12 clamps I still need... :eek!:

Carl C
02-27-2008, 08:10 AM
the hump hose will retain water and exhaust residue/contaminants in the pleating..

Jim may have a point, it also may hold water and cause freeze damage for some of us. I used the straight hose I have very little distance from the header/riser tips to the transom. 3 years so far so good!
Phil OK thanks. I'll try to get it ordered today. One straight piece of the best blue silicone hose. Yeller, thanks again but I'm gonna go with this expensive stuff.

Carl C
02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
They don't take credit cards:confused:. I'll send them a check for $266 + shipping for 3' of the best 500* RED silicone hose.:):hyper:

yeller
02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Your dollar Carl, but I've seen that blue stuff at the hose shop in town here.

Opps, I see you've gone red.

OK, then.......Your dollar Carl, but I've seen that red stuff at the hose shop in town here. :)

Carl C
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Your dollar Carl, but I've seen that blue stuff at the hose shop in town here.

Opps, I see you've gone red.

OK, then.......Your dollar Carl, but I've seen that red stuff at the hose shop in town here. :) There isn't much in my phone book under "hose" but there are a couple of industrial supply houses. I'll make a couple phone calls before sending the check. I just don't want to screw up here, if this hose burns through on Lake Huron I will be in trouble!:smash: Would you happen to know how much it costs at the shop you mentioned?

BUIZILLA
02-27-2008, 11:09 AM
quit panicking..

do a search for Trident Exhaust hose :wink:

Carl C
02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
quit panicking..

do a search for Trident Exhaust hose :wink: Did a search here and only got one hit on an old post by Lenny. Did a google search and found Trident marine.com which does manufacture the 500* silicone hose but they don't sell it direct so they gave me the phone # of a semi-local dealer. I called the dealer (Marysville Marine) and the price is $273 for 3' and they don't have it in stock. The factory also told me that the 500* stuff is not in stock and is custom made which takes 8 weeks.:eek!: I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just order it from Mop's link.:alligator

BUIZILLA
02-27-2008, 02:43 PM
try Marine Exhaust Systems in Riviera Beach, Fla.

Carl C
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
try Marine Exhaust Systems in Riviera Beach, Fla. I called them at 561.848.1238 and they do not carry the 500* stuff. 350* silicone hose is $35.40 per foot + shipping. This would be about half the price as the 500* stuff from Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama. Should I go with the cheaper stuff or pay up for the extra protection of the premo? :confused: $292 will not bankrupt me. Mop, could you call me at 248.330.0048 Thanks.

cutwater
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but is 500 degree hose really "extra protection"? I mean, if I melted down 350 degree hose, I wouldn't think "crap I shouldn't have bought the cheap stuff" I would think "crap there's something wrong in my cooling system". Wouldn't 500 F hose simply hide any problems that you may have with your exhaust? Shouldn't a melted hose alert you to low raw water flow?

Carl C
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but is 500 degree hose really "extra protection"? I mean, if I melted down 350 degree hose, I wouldn't think "crap I shouldn't have bought the cheap stuff" I would think "crap there's something wrong in my cooling system". Wouldn't 500 F hose simply hide any problems that you may have with your exhaust? Shouldn't a melted hose alert you to low raw water flow? Good question and I really don't know but I bought the best headers I could find (CMI) and I don't have a problem with connecting them with the best hose. Is 500* overkill? Maybe I should post a poll. I'm looking more for the flexability of the silicone as Mop talked about and figure I may as well get the best stuff out there.

cutwater
02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Good question and I really don't know but I bought the best headers I could find (CMI) and I don't have a problem with connecting them with the best hose.

This all just my opinion. I don't have much experience with this, but there's a difference between defining "best" as durability or quality and "best" as temperature rating. Is a 15A fuse better than a 5A fuse? Well, it depends on the application. I think of the hose as a fuse... cheaper to replace it than new heads or exhaust. I've just always thought that if my exhaust is running above 350*F continuous, I'm worried about more than my hose! Why cover up the problem with over-rated materials?

I could be wrong... anybody with experience want to chime in here??

Of course, the red exhaust would look nice on the Testarossa Minx... Hmm.... :wink:

Carl C
02-27-2008, 04:36 PM
"Input, input". Remember that obnoxious robot in the movie "Short Circuit". I need input. I've decided to go with 100% silicone hose for the flexibility. Should I pop for the 500* stuff or go with 350* hose at half the price?:banghead:

MOP
02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Carl the blue is all you need, the 500 stuff is over kill for sure. I have done some very long runs, true not at very high RPM 3 years old a still nice and soft.

Phil

BUIZILLA
02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
the problem with ANY exhaust hose is that it will decay or delaminate from the inside out... you can't watch it's composure change...

with that said, what is the everyday black hose that 99% of the boat builders use rated at?

I, personally, can't see the 500* product being necessary

Carl C
02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
OK it's a done deal. Two of the members I respect most here can't be wrong. I'll order 350* silicone hose. Thanks everybody, case closed.:pretzel:

vonkamp
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes, thanks for the info. I'll be making an order too...:yes:

Carl C
03-07-2008, 08:52 PM
This stuff is so flexible here's how it arrived today. Another cool product I learned about here!:yippie: