PDA

View Full Version : So I've sold my Classic to a Canadian

p729lws
02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
What will he need to get her across the border?

I have the clear title for the boat which I can sign over to him. I also have current registration cards for the boat and trailer. The boat has the current registration sticker on it and the trailer has the current Florida license plate on it. I'm also working up separate bills of sale for the trailer and boat which will be notarized by a Florida notary. The boat and trailer are both 1986 models.

Will he need anything else? He mentioned “canceling the title” but by local tag office has never heard of that before.

Thanks,
Dan

glashole
02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
He needs a letter from the manufacturer of the trailer stating that there are no recalls on the trailer.
*this is important*

He will need you to cancel the registration number on the boat and have proof you have done this

as dumb as it sounds they ask for it when re registering the boat in canada- proof it is not registered in 2 places at the same time as they are not always in direct contact with the US registry depts-

If he uses your plates and ships them back to you when he gets home it will also save him alot of hassle of getting plates before hand

Shea

p729lws
02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
How do I cancel the registration number for the boat?
Thanks,
Dan

glashole
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
not sure exactly

call whomever you licence a boat with in Florida

tell them you sold the boat and would like it removed from your name and the new owner is going to reregister it elsewhere

they just need to write some sort of letter that says it is no longer registered in Florida

as much as a pain in the a$$ as this might be it does have to happen.

Brad Verd here on the registry had to do it for me when I bought his boat from him. If he is still around he might chime in :)

good luck

Shea

yeller
02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
He needs a letter from the manufacturer of the trailer stating that there are no recalls on the trailer.
*this is important*
He will need you to cancel the registration number on the boat and have proof you have done this
as dumb as it sounds they ask for it when re registering the boat in canada- proof it is not registered in 2 places at the same time as they are not always in direct contact with the US registry depts-
If he uses your plates and ships them back to you when he gets home it will also save him alot of hassle of getting plates before hand
Shea
Definately need the recall letter if he wants to insure the trailer. Not 100% sure, but believe you can bring it across without the recall letter, just can't insure it.
Shea, are you sure of the registration cancellation? I haven't heard about that one before. I brought mine to BC from the US and didn't have a problem....but it had never been registered there. It was still registered in Quebec.
Too be safe, I'd get the recall letter before bringing it across. Will also need proof of title/registration of boat AND trailer and bills of sale from you. It has to be two seperate bills. One for the trailer and one for the boat. And tell him NOT to try and fudge the price to avoid CND taxes. It is not worth the risk of penalty. It didn't happen to me, but I know of people it has.
The problem with towing it back is you can't get insurance for the trailer until it is registered in Canada and you can't register in Canada until the trailer gets inspected here. A catch 22 situation. I know of people that pulled it across with plates from a different trailer. I would never do that...because it's against the law. :wink: The border guards don't bother checking for insurance.

You can PM Lenny. He's brought more boats across than I'll ever own.

BUIZILLA
02-26-2008, 01:34 PM
ask Lenny

we just went through this

glashole
02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I also went through this

do not fudge the cost of the boat- as per my stories in the 1000 isles- not worth it :smash:

the recall letter is not for insurance but rather to get it inspected- they won't even look at it until they see the letter-

the registration thing is for Ontario for sure - not sure about the other provinces. I am almost certain this boat is going to Ontario

anything in Canada can be searched on the Canadian database and therefore would not need the letter

As or right now Quebec is still part of Canada :)

As for the insurance-
if you have a copy of the ownership you can get a temporary insurance for the boat and trailer

The licence plate thing isn't as big of a deal as you would think- customs couldn't care less- not sure if the OPP would really give you a hard time if you had all of the proper paperwork

Shea

p729lws
02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Yes the 22 is going to Ontario.

The trailer is a Load Rite so I'm guessing it won't be a problem getting info from them.

I'll head down to my local tag office and see about"un-registering" the boat. It's interesting that some people needed this paperwork and some didn't:confused:

Thanks for the info guys.

glashole
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
congrats on the sale

Lenny
02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Things you NEED

A Bill Of Sale signed and dated with both your signatures for THE BOAT and Accessories only...

A Bill Of Sale, signed and dated with both your signatures for the TRAILER only...

(Basically, just write it in word, attach it to an email, have him/them sign it, then mail it back to the purchaser in Canada and he can sign his spot and he is Good. :)

A recall letter from Loadmaster. This is a MUST HAVE item as well. Basically a document, in any written fashion that describes the make, model, and the VIN and that it has NEVER been subject to a recall. It must have their letterhead on it and a date and (a signature helps)

The Manufacters "Certificate of Origin" for the trailer, that is a frilly, marriage looking certificate, that states its date of manufacter, the VIN and such. Again, Loadmaster should be able to supply it or the original trailer owner will have it still.

Those four things are all that matters. Leans on the boat mean nothing, nor does the title or its registration. Canada does not care about that part of the boat. It gets re-registered as a Canadian vessel and it's past means nothing.

You will have to take the trailer to a Federal inspection agency, (in this case, "Canadian Tire" :rolleyes: ) with the documentation you will get in the mail within about 5 days of crossing the Border. At the Border, (when importing this boat and trailer WITH all these papers and stuff) you will pay the GST (HST) on the converted Canadian value of the vessel in reference to it's stated US$ purchase price as well as the PST (if you have PST in Ontario and not the HST) You will also have to pay the GST on the converted value of the Trailer but NOT the PST until you actually take your paperwork to an insurance agent to put fresh Canadian plates on it.

DO NOT lie about the purcahse price of any of this stuff. They DO search other agencies (a cross Border Agreement) to in fact verify that the stated amounts "make sense".

If you are caught lying it is VERY expensive and you will lose this new purchase and be fined and be restricted.

It makes life a MILLION times easier if the fella you purchase all this stuff from LEAVES his trailer plate on the trailer until you tow it home. Reason being, you can not get insurance on the trailer PRIOR to it entering Canada and all fees paid. You cannot get the Insurance until after it is inspected. As you can see this creates a week of un-insured limbo...

What I do, is place a valid Canadian licence plate on the trailer and HOPE that I have no accidents or get pulled over, or I ask the seller to leave it insured for an extra couple days. You can GET a Temporary permit for the trailer for the Federal inspection once you have crossed the line but you still need all this other paperwork first.

See if you can have it insured for a couple extra days....

frclarke
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Sorry for being a wee bit slow on the uptake guys -Canadian and from The Big Smoke.

I've been following along Sheas instructions, so here's what I know from calls to Canada Customs and Transport Canada:
Need reciepts for the trailer and boat listing cost of each since its two different licensing agancies. Of course Customs takes their cut first.

If the trailer is LESS THEN 15 YEARS OLD then you need the 15 digit VIN and US Safety Sticker of some sort. IF older - it's exempt (YEA! - thats Dans trailer). Need the signed over title. Need to pay 274.00 to Ministry of Magic (I don't know... some ministry or other), pay customs the GST. Then you go to Canadian Tire and they safety it and you pay more money.

Now the boat - As above need reciept! Need signed over title to prove you are new owner and it's not stolen. Pay Customs the GST. In return at some point you should get a registration and hull #s. Daltons tax invoice will come in the mail.

A the boarder - CUSTOMS - with hat in hand and pray you get a good guy who is up to date on the latest rule changes.

BUT I'm not going to do the hat in hand and pray thing because - thanks to Ted Clegg - I called Joe Bailey at White and White Customs brokers - he is going to charge me $250 to have all the paper work ready and waiting.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Fred

glashole
02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Fred

remember you promised to set up a ride in your neck of the woods

good luck with the boat

Shea

frclarke
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Absolutely Shea man.
Mid summer when the ice is off. Ted Clegg wants to come. Tim, Cindy and the rest will also go.

I guess we should move this to Gathering...
F

gcarter
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Good luck w/the new 22 Fred!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :yes:

blueliner
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
the only thing i would add is a NAFTA agreement, stating it was made in the USA. i was working when my boat came up so i had my customs broker handle everything. it cost a couple hundred bucks, but was well worth it in my opinion. they filed all the paperwork and everything. made it real smooth sailing.

yeller
02-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Yes, Lenny is correct. I'm in BC as well, so can't say for sure that all provinces are the same.

If it eases your mind, definately use a broker, but don't be concerned about doing it yourself. If you have the paperwork Lenny mentioned, it's really a very painless process.

Tim Morris
02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Absolutely Shea man.
Mid summer when the ice is off. Ted Clegg wants to come. Tim, Cindy and the rest will also go.

I guess we should move this to Gathering...
F

And a gathering it shall be!

Hey Fred, remember that guy that tried to help jump start my boat that day on the Severn River? That was Dave (McDonzi)
who is currently in FLA looking to buy a boat. He's getting close and I told him to watch this thread for info on crossing the border.

What a coincidence that it turns out to be you!

Best of luck with your new boat.

Ed Donnelly
02-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Don't forget to invite Lenny to the GATHERING...

That little post tramp will go anywhere that more than 2 Donzi's are parked.:propeller::wink::propeller: ......Ed

Lenny
02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Don't forget to invite Lenny to the GATHERING...
That little post tramp will go anywhere that more than 2 Donzi's are parked.:propeller::wink::propeller: ......Ed

:D :D :D

Barry Eller
02-29-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm the Canadian

You are getting a nice boat! Here is a photo of Dan, DTP, and my 22. Yes, I have a bimini...:popcorn:

frclarke
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Summary
In Ontario I would highly recommend using a customs broker.

Use White and White Brokers, Joe Bailey - 905-206-9966 x 229. His Fee is $250.00.

Joe made this EASY!

The Details
Decide on your entry point - tell the broker. In Southern Ontario, Sarnia and Port Erie allow commercial entry. Using a broker makes your shipment commercial.

On the day before I left:
Sent the following to the broker, in fact the broker walks you thru everything that he needs:
1) boat title,
2) Trailer registration or title
3) require trailer to have an ID #, model #, Manufacturer and manufacture date.
4) A Bill of sale for the Boat with boat type an ID
5) A Bill of Sale for the Trailer with ID

Broker will detail where to go and what to say at the border.

Here's my story:
I picked up the boat and trailer from Dan, couldn't have asked better weather. Dan, did a great job of getting the old trailer highway worthy.
I left Dan's plate on the boat - figured it would attract less attention.
As you all know - on the hiway everybody that pass you looks hard at he boat!

20 odd hours later I was at the Sarnia crossing.
Went thru the truck side (commercial).
As I said the broker gives you a script - so I just followed it.
Parked and went to the brokers office - all the papers were ready and waiting.
Took these to customs and waited for about 10 minutes for a customs officer.
He didn't even inspect the boat or trailer, no questions. He handed me the required docs. and said see ya! No money is paid at this time.

Next steps (following week):
1) take the docs to the brokers local office where you pay the GST, $274 vehicle import fee for the trailer and the broker fee.
2) My new to me trailer is over 15 years old so I may be exempt from new safety regs. - I'm sure the broker will tell me exactly what is necessary.

Fred

yeller
03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
frclarke, I don't see where a broker did anything for you that you couldn't do yourself. I mean, you got all the paper work, you brought the boat/trailer across, you dealt with customs.
The only difference between your experience and mine was that you paid the GST to the broker, where I paid it to customs.
My experience at the border was exactly....and I mean exactly what you discribed...except for the GST payment.
What I am I missing?

p729lws
03-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Fred,
I just got on the site to see if you made it back OK. Glad to hear everything went smooth! She's a nice boat that is used to attention, give me a call if you have an questions about her. By the way, I'm requesting first right of refusal if you decide to sell her.
Later,
Dan

yeller
03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes I forgot....congrats on the new purchase. :yes:

CHACHI
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
And a gathering it shall be!

Tell me the date and I will be there, let's go to Georgian Bay.

Fred, is this number 3?
Congrats.
Ken

Ed Donnelly
03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Looks like we have an EAST WEST competition
going on between Fred and Lenny

Lenny 4

Fred 3 :canada: ....................Ed

CHACHI
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Mr. Morris, if you wait a year, Fred May want your Minx to add a 20 footer to the collection. Sit tight.
Ken

gcarter
03-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Mr. Morris, if you wait a year, Fred May want your Minx to add a 20 footer to the collection. Sit tight.
Ken
It's time for Tim to get a new boat anyway.......you like RED don't you Tim??????

Ed Donnelly
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
George: Tim only has to go down the street for a red 22
And I go by his shop nearly every day on my way to Timmys
from T.H.S on River St.:wink:

Oh, you mean a REALLYRED 22 :propeller::propeller: ....Ed

Lenny
03-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Looks like we have an EAST WEST competition
going on between Fred and Lenny
Lenny 4
Fred 3 :canada: ....................Ed

Yes, but ED, I would only count 3 as keepers. And, I am selling one of them. The blue X-18.

So, when all is said and done, I'll have an X-18 (black), an 18 LE, (black) and a bench and two projects. That, in my mind means 2 in the stable that you turn the key on, they start, look good and go fast.

Oh, and I am working on acquiring a Red Criterion SS... :D

Fred wins

Ed Donnelly
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Lenny; HMMMM black x18 or black le trade?????????????...Ed