PDA

View Full Version : anyone using these???

blueliner
02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
hey guys,
saw these at the boat show and was wondering if anyone is using these on their classics??? with space being at a premium, these stack flat and look like they would hang flat down instead of sticking out on an angle... any thoughts or reviews on these things??? thanks

ky-donzi
02-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Got a set for Christmas, but haven't used them yet. Im wondering what makes them suck in at the bottom, in other words what make them follow the contour of the hull

yeller
02-25-2008, 02:29 AM
I've been looking at those for a long time, although only on the net.

ky-donzi, the bottom section will hang straight down. The pic blueliner shows has the bottom sandwiched between the hull and the dock making it look as if it follows the hull contours.

My concern...the reason I haven't ordered any yet...is whether they will actually work on a classic. I'm thinking the top section will lay on the deck, and the bottom section will hang down causing the bumper to make an "L" shape. I'm concerned that 'opening' the bumper up that much will mean you won't have any protection (except for the material) for the rub rail. The deck and the side of the hull will be protected, but will any cushion protect the rub rail?

mjw930
02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
I looked at one of these at the store and I think the top is too long for use on a classic.

I went with the L shaped fender below and tie it to the rear cleat and the front of the side rail on my older 22 Classic. The newer classics don't have the side rail so I don't know where I would attach it (probably have to put in one of the fender clips)

http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/images/items/lowfreeboard_1.jpg

I've got a 24" version of this fender that I hang from the side horizontally when we raft up. You can never have too much cushioning ;)

http://images.westmarine.com/full/34335_f.jpg

Lenny
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I looked at one of these at the store and I think the top is too long for use on a classic.

I went with the L shaped fender below and tie it to the rear cleat and the front of the side rail on my older 22 Classic. The newer classics don't have the side rail so I don't know where I would attach it (probably have to put in one of the fender clips)

I've got a 24" version of this fender that I hang from the side horizontally when we raft up. You can never have too much cushioning ;)

http://images.westmarine.com/full/34335_f.jpg

The "L" shaped ones are what I use as well. They work great tied to the side rails on the 2+3 and to the holy **** bar and steering wheel on the X-18.

VetteLT193
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
My brother has those square ones. They work well, but the main thing I didn't like about them is the small eye for the line. I prefer fenders that have a big eyelet so I can use the standard boat lines if I need to so I don't have to carry a ton of extra line around. These things are so small you need to carry string.

yeller
02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
My brother has those square ones. They work well, but the main thing I didn't like about them is the small eye for the line. I prefer fenders that have a big eyelet so I can use the standard boat lines if I need to so I don't have to carry a ton of extra line around. These things are so small you need to carry string.So my concerns are unfounded? I'll get a set for sure if they work well. What length does your brother use?

Currently I use the L shaped fenders as shown above. They worked great on my 16, but not as well on the 22. Too short IMO.

mjw930
02-25-2008, 10:32 AM
So my concerns are unfounded? I'll get a set for sure if they work well. What length does your brother use?

Currently I use the L shaped fenders as shown above. They worked great on my 16, but not as well on the 22. Too short IMO.

Hmm, on my 22 the rear one actually is partially submerged (about an inch or so) and the front one covers 3/4 of the exposed side of the hull. I can't imagine needing more coverage.

When you look at the way the bow curves back in and put the fenders on the stern and at a point just before the deck curves toward the center you have plenty of surface area. There's no need to go forward of the windshield on the front fender unless you point the bow into the dock and use the front cleat as a pivot point.

What's really nice about the L shaped fender is it's top protection. With the 22C being so low to the water you will find that a number of docks will let the boat slide under a bit, this top protection helps prevent a nasty mark on the top of the rub rail.

f_inscreenname
02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I use these also.
http://www.supernova19.com/523cc590.jpg

Tried all kinds and nothing would keep the gunnels of the Nova from getting under things it shouldn’t until these. Except when the tide gets to high (like in the second picture) and the boat wants to jump up on the bulkhead. Maybe this year the H/O association will put in the pile’s they promised.:garfield:

CHACHI
02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I have been using them for years, on both my Minx and my 22C. I purchased the larger of the 2 sizes available and attach them with suction cups.
never have had a problem.

Ken

yeller
02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
mjw930, either your boat sits lower than mine or your fenders are longer, because the L fenders are too short for me. Mine are made by Taylor and I think they only have one size. Usefulness on the front is 50/50. The rear is normally ok but still hangs 4~6" above the water. On floating docks, even the rear one pops out on top of the dock if there is any wave action. I guess it all depends on the docks you normally use. I loved them for my 16, but definately want something longer for the 22.

Blueliner, do you know of any place locally that sells those fenders you're looking at.

yeller
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
I have been using them for years, on both my Minx and my 22C. I purchased the larger of the 2 sizes available and attach them with suction cups.
never have had a problem.

KenKen, what brand are yours? I've only ever seen ones made by Taylor and never in more than one size.

mjw930
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
mjw930, either your boat sits lower than mine or your fenders are longer, because the L fenders are too short for me. Mine are made by Taylor and I think they only have one size. Usefulness on the front is 50/50. The rear is normally ok but still hangs 4~6" above the water. On floating docks, even the rear one pops out on top of the dock if there is any wave action. I guess it all depends on the docks you normally use. I loved them for my 16, but definately want something longer for the 22.

Blueliner, do you know of any place locally that sells those fenders you're looking at.

I have the Black 15" version, they make them in 15" and 23".

I was mistaken on the rear being in the water, it's not. But it's only about 4" above the water line. I remembered it being wet but that was from launching when the rear sets lower until the front slides off the trailer.

On the floating docks I frequent the rear of the boat is lower then the top of the dock and I tie up tight enough to prevent the fenders from moving too much. I never tie up in an area where I would get enough wave action for this to be a problem but I can see if you have a lower dock and more wave action the 23" version would be preferable.

West Marine carries both version online:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/36018/377%20710%20832/0/Fenders/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%20832&Ne=0&Ntt=Fenders&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=455&subdeptNum=594&classNum=594

yeller
02-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the link. :beer:
I've never seen the larger size before. Looks like it's what I need.

CHACHI
02-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Ken, what brand are yours? I've only ever seen ones made by Taylor and never in more than one size.
Taylor Made.

Ken