PDA

View Full Version : The one of 12, Vee Drive X-18's, maybe?

Jamesbon
02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
V-Drive

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/boa/563032888.html

Lenny
02-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Boat was a "copy". Not the real deal.

sweet 16 1966
02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks Lenny. I did not think I had ever seen anything like it?

X-18
02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks Lenny. I did not think I had ever seen anything like it?...I have known this boat since the early 90s..it is originally from Maryland this is and the only X18 v drive i have ever seen...its the real deal....with the Donzi vin stamped in the hull..i went and looked at this boat when is was for sale in the 90s setting in a bikers yard that were meth runners..uncovered setting outside probaly for 5 years...a biker guy had a body shop and painted it a ugly bus yellow and put a real ugly scoop on the hatch...and left it set outside never finishing the boat....still has all the v drive stuff in it and a big block chevy....its real and rare...but a real project....

chappy
02-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I've read there were a small number of 18 vee drives that went out the door. Here's some GREAT knowledge from members a few years back..........
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24824&highlight=18+vee+drive

Lenny
02-19-2008, 09:07 PM
This boat was looked at by another member and he stated that it was a copy. That is what I am going on. You should ask Poodle how many X18 V-drives were made :)

Read the reply here from f_ingscreenname

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51248

The last time I checked this WAS NOT a DONZI Marine hull number
DZ124610579

Lenny
02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
...I have known this boat since the early 90s..it is originally from Maryland this is and the only X18 v drive i have ever seen...its the real deal....with the Donzi vin stamped in the hull..i went and looked at this boat when is was for sale in the 90s setting in a bikers yard that were meth runners..uncovered setting outside probaly for 5 years...a biker guy had a body shop and painted it a ugly bus yellow and put a real ugly scoop on the hatch...and left it set outside never finishing the boat....still has all the v drive stuff in it and a big block chevy....its real and rare...but a real project....

Wes, hopefully the hull number in the above link is NOT the one you are referring to...

There is NO such thing as an "XL" DONZI and there was only EVER one 19 hull, and that was a HORNET/ST. Tropez. This is an X-18 "copy" if you ask me... Numbers are waaaaayyyy off, in fact "made up" .

X-18
02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Wes, hopefully the hull number in the above link is NOT the one you are referring to...
There is NO such thing as an "XL" DONZI and there was only EVER one 19 hull, and that was a HORNET/ST. Tropez. This is an X-18 "copy" if you ask me... Numbers are waaaaayyyy off, in fact "made up" .
Hello again..lots of conversation on this one...the guy who sold this boat orginally for years owed some money to the person whos yard it was setting in for years...so that person filed papers with the dnr as a abandoned vessel and recieved a new title and serial number and registered it as a cust made boat....i will get the hull number stamped into the fiberglass when i pick it up in a month....how many of these x18s v-drives were produced.....wes

chappy
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
This doesn't affect the outcome of this discussion, but I found this mining some old threads.........
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28791

Lenny
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM
This doesn't affect the outcome of this discussion, but I found this mining some old threads.........
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28791

Chappy, X-18's were from late '72 to early '78...

I don't understand where you are going with this... ???

:)

Forget all the early stuff in that thread link...

Seems to me someone KNOWS it is a fake, and someone else KNOWS it is real...

This is where I want to go...

Hull number please and a pic of it under the top starboard under-lip of the hull deck joint at the TRANSOM UNDER the deck. EG: right hand starboard transom, under the deck, top of the hull, under the rub rail, far right.
IF IT IS NOT THERE, as justified from the picture you will provide, then we have a fake.. If it is, we will be able to reference it to an original build sheet and how it was rigged...

Let's sort this out once and for all...

IF it is real, then that is a very cool boat, BEYOND cool actually. But I have reservations about that...

Prove me wrong please.

:) Lenny

Oh, and WES, less than a dozen... the hull number is what we need. There are "folks" here that know of EVERY boat built back then, and the numbers, and the motor, and the drive, the rigging, the colour, the deck stripe, the boot stripe, and the original purchaser...

X-18
02-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Hull number please and a pic of it under the top starboard under-lip of the hull deck joint at the TRANSOM UNDER the deck. EG: right hand starboard transom, under the deck, top of the hull, under the rub rail, far right.
IF IT IS NOT THERE, as justified from the picture you will provide, then we have a fake.. If it is, we will be able to reference it to an original build sheet and how it was rigged...
Sorry for being ANAL, but I have an "X" glitch... both in marriage and in DONZI's
IF it is real, then that is a very cool boat, BEYOND cool actually. But I have reservations about that...
Prove me wrong please.
Oh, and WES, less than a dozen... the hull number is what we need. There are "folks" here that know of EVERY boat built back then, and the numbers, and the motor, and the drive, the rigging, the colour, the deck stripe, the boot stripe, and the original purchaser...Thanks for all the info...i love all the talk on this boat...i too have had many Donzis and many x-18s..but i also had a orginal 1979 x-18 with a factory bigblock and trs drive..boat is still in my area..i also have seen alot of repro 18 flat deck donzis but i have never seen a mold of a repro x-18...but let the numbers tell....soon..wes

chappy
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Sorry for being ANAL, but I have an "X" glitch... both in marriage and in DONZI's
Prove me wrong please.
Oh, and WES, less than a dozen... the hull number is what we need. There are "folks" here that know of EVERY boat built back then, and the numbers, and the motor, and the drive, the rigging, the colour, the deck stripe, the boot stripe, and the original purchaser...
I don't think it's an X either. JMO. I just found it interesting and thought some of the newer members may enjoy it, since we're talking about v drives.

Formula Jr
02-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I've seen this boat in person.
The reason it might not have a transom hin, is because this poor thing has been painted at least three times. Its a rainbow of colors under the chips.

The DNR re-titling happens all the time in Maryland. And you get to call the boat anything you want: X-18, XL-19; what ever.

This boat, if I remember correctly, has a metal dog tag that was resin set on the inner top side of the starboard engine compartment. The numbers given are stamped on that tag.

My opinion is that it is a Real X-18, V-drive with its original 454 Chevy Engine. The hardware that was still scattered around Boat Doctor when I saw it was original. And it has the battery bracket in the original, crazy, hard to get to bilge location. Nothing jumps out to readily call this a copy. There was no evidence that the transom was reworked from a Stern-Drive.

The missing transom hin can be explained by all the painting and gelcoating that has happened to this boat. At some point someone may have sanded the numbers off or faired them. Some careful sanding in this area might reveal some real numbers, yet those numbers might reveal more than someone wants to know, or what someone didn't want anyone to know. This is why I walked away from it many years ago.

Formula Jr
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Now we can discuss this boat. Out side of the for sale section and its rules.

This maybe one of 12. Or it maybe not. I've seen the boat, and I think it is one of the twelve. Opinions now follow.

chappy
02-27-2008, 08:08 AM
I've read that around 12 18's were made with V drives, NOT X's, but regular 18's. Maybe that's where the number is coming from. Just a guess........

X-18
02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I've read that around 12 18's were made with V drives, NOT X's, but regular 18's. Maybe that's where the number is coming from. Just a guess........
Has anyone ever seen or now the real production of x18 v-drives...

Lenny
02-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Has anyone ever seen or now the real production of x18 v-drives...

There is one here that does and it is not me.

Sweet little 16
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
there are probably more than 12 barrelback v drives, keep in mind they used v drives for the bigger 300 and 400 hp motors early on cause the outdrives at the time were not stout enough, the X was produced between 72 and 79 the era of the trs and 270 volvo both pretty stout drives and had an option of a "speedmaster" as well from the factory
plus in all era some boats left un rigged so there no way to know how they ended up i would wager the number is surprising low for a v drive x 18

LKSD
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I do have to say the whole story in the sale sounds fishy, but sometimes strange things happen..

What I get a kick out of thinking is: I wonder how his search for a "ponTUNE" boat is going.. Also kind of interesting that his email is baltimoreboatdoctor@y......com but it looks like a bunch of hacked hodge podge of stuff lying around...lol :) Jamie

VetteLT193
02-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I do have to say the whole story in the sale sounds fishy, but sometimes strange things happen..
What I get a kick out of thinking is: I wonder how his search for a "ponTUNE" boat is going.. Also kind of interesting that his email is baltimoreboatdoctor@y......com but it looks like a bunch of hacked hodge podge of stuff lying around...lol :) Jamie

He seems to be selling everything...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/off/574174362.html

LKSD
02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
"$1200000 Trade B/O Zoned Commerical Boat Yard

2 acers 2 Houses out buildings.Boat ramp.Used as working boat yard now sales of used boats trailers parts anything marine.Business(BOAT DOCTORS QUARTERS) also 4/sale turn key and fully stocked $375.000 land $1.2m or (bdocisin@y......com)(will hold papper) "

Interesting.. I wonder why it's up for sale... :doh: lol... Also I see if hooked on phonics worked for him then I can imagine how the other stuff was run & done.. :hangum:

There is a couple places & people up by us like that with junk everywhere.. Most people who really care about thier boats find it a turnoff. They also I find are usually afraid of stuff like that because some find it a reflection of how their boat will be treated..

To each their own, but I couldnt operate like that.. A shop is a shop, but I need some order & cleanliness... Jamie