PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Thickness

DudeHoss
02-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a 06 Classic with the Frameless windshield. It recently cracked so I sent it away to have a new one made. When it came back it looks thinner than I remember. I thought it was 1/4 inch but the guy who made the new one said it was 3/8 inch.

Also it was going to be made of Ploycarbonte (Lexan) but I was told when it's heated and curved in the oven that there would be distortion and patchyness because it doesn't heat and curve well. I ended up agreeing on acrylite because it is slightly more flexible and fairly scratch resistant. Well I got it and it doesn't apear to have been curved. Will this material bend and conform when I put it on or do I have a problem? Please help I'm at the end of my rope with this thing.

BigGrizzly
02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I did my Corsican with lexan amt it os curved and no distortion. If you have a sharp bend all will distort to a point. My Corsican has a 6 foot radius. If your worried about the slight bend across the deck it is easy and won't distort. I did heat my windshield after it was mounted with a heat gun to relieve the stress. I got it pretty hot. Did this when I did the Criterion too it was plexie I think, but the bend wasn't quite right and pulled the screws at points, heat gun cured it.

LKSD
02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Those flat panels can & will curve/flex to a certain point. As far as not being clear looking thru them?? Mine was clear in my 22 then got cloudy and hazed when looking thru it. We replaced it & it was fine.

I also just recently made new windshields for a Cig 20, Checkmate & Bahner jet that we are doing projects on. they are all clear as day without cloudiness or hazing.. That said as time goes on any of the plastic, arcylic or lexan stuff eventually get a little cloudy or hazy depending on exposure, maint, etc.... Also Lexan is a brand name of arcylic.. ;)

Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

VetteLT193
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a 06 Classic with the Frameless windshield. It recently cracked so I sent it away to have a new one made. When it came back it looks thinner than I remember. I thought it was 1/4 inch but the guy who made the new one said it was 3/8 inch.
Also it was going to be made of Ploycarbonte (Lexan) but I was told when it's heated and curved in the oven that there would be distortion and patchyness because it doesn't heat and curve well. I ended up agreeing on acrylite because it is slightly more flexible and fairly scratch resistant. Well I got it and it doesn't apear to have been curved. Will this material bend and conform when I put it on or do I have a problem? Please help I'm at the end of my rope with this thing.

I wonder if someone could measure for you. I'm leaning towards 1/4 inch. the unframed are pretty thick.

By the way, for everyone with these shields: I've used all kinds of products over the years to help stop the cracking/hazing/crazing etc. The absolute best I've used is Zymol wax... I usually use "Carbon" or "Creme". With frequent applications I have had zero crazing, hazing, etc.

yeller
02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I wonder if someone could measure for you. I'm leaning towards 1/4 inch. the unframed are pretty thick.
It's definately at least 3/8". I think it may be more like 1/2". I'll try and measure mine when I get back from work.

VetteLT193
02-25-2008, 10:30 AM
It's definately at least 3/8". I think it may be more like 1/2". I'll try and measure mine when I get back from work.

Yeah, I'm a ding dong and mis-read it the first time... but I'm with you, it's thick :)

Tim Morris
02-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Also Lexan is a brand name of arcylic.. ;)
Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Lexan is a GE brand name for polycarbonate.

Acrylic is.....well, acrylic. Plexi glass is another term for it.

The properties for each are quite different.

TXDONZI
02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Lexan/Polycarbonate will flex more than Plexiglas/Acrylic before it breaks. Also Acrylic will scratch much easier and haze (turn milky) a lot faster than Polycarbonate if it will at all....... CD's, Automotive lenses and most of your really nice plastic drinking glasses are made of Polycarbonate. That should tell you right away what material you should go with.