PDA

View Full Version : zx vs classic

rtgogo
02-21-2008, 06:53 AM
I need some perspective. Looking at buying a 22 classic or 22zx. I'd like some input on the difference in ride, power, etc. I like them both for different reasons, but figured there may be a few opinions out there.

Help...thanks..

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2008, 07:36 AM
I can help on the 'etc' part: if you want a small swim platform and a sunpad for your smokin' hot babe to lay on, go with the zx 'cause the classic don't have that:smash:.

SilverBack
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the boat search!! There are lots of great people on the Registry. You can learn a ton on here. I know that I have. I have just gone through what you are going through now. I ended up with a 25 ZX. I have a wife and 2 daughters so that played a big part in the outcome of my search. It just depends on what you are after. The 22 Classic to me is the big daddy of the Classic boats. It is sweet!! The 22 ZX is the smallest of the ZX boats.

I think Big Grizz and his son could give you some good perspective. One has a Classic boat and the other has a blown ZX and I think that it is a 22 ZX.

If you go with a Classic you can get any question you will ever have answered in no time. I think the Registry used to be called the Classic Registry. But they were nice enough to let the Z people in and join in. Thanks for that. I don't know what I would have done without these guys. Any way your go....you can't miss with a Donzi!

The Hedgehog
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I got kind of confused and wound up with both. I have a X-18 and a 26ZX. Skipped the classic 22 but think it is a hell of a boat. I came pretty close to getting a 22ZX once.

I am with 502, you can't go wrong with a Donzi

LKSD
02-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I have had both in my hands as well.. The Zx is a little cushier ride & has a little more space. You also get the benefits of a small cabin & porta potty.. Plus it is a bit easier to lounge off of & swim from or lay out on to an extent.. The stock 22zx is genrally alot slower.

The 22 classic, is genrally faster in stock form than the 22zx. The boat is more like driving a little sports car on steroids. Also they have the classic old perf boat look. The interior is comfy, but small & tight for long time lounging & swimming from compared to the 22zx. Eventhough they usually are already fast, the hulls can take a lot more power as a rule & still fly over the water where most if any other boat its size can not. It is a drivers boat & does take some getting used to.. :)

They are both great hulls, but they do have some trade offs. You must decide what is best for you. :) Jamie / Lakeside

rtgogo
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
From what I've gathered...seems like the classic is more of a big toy and the ZX has more utility.

Outside of the cuddy and pad space...curious about the comment on the ZX ride being "a little cushier". Is there a BIG difference in the ride of the two boats?

For perspective: My only ride experience in a Donzi is a 16classic. I assume the 22 is significantly different and the boat ****pit is deeper and larger than the 16 or 18.

Please keep it cumin...I'm squeezin the trigger....

thanks!

BigGrizzly
02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Since We have them both. Me a procharged Criterion and Lil Griz with a Wipple charged 22ZX. When stock with the same engine,454/315 hp, they were 1 mph apart. Now, because I have more power and a bigger block I am faster. As for the ride, on the same day at the same time it is just different Some of our friends prefer his some prefer mine. Mine porpoises a little more. Both are good boats. The ZX is heavier than the classic by about 300->500 pounds. His is for sale because of his business and he wants a much bigger boat. I am a classic fan but you can't hat a 22ZX, when its moving it is a real head turner as well as at the dock. My wife calls it the magnet. As for the cabin, it is a nice plus for changing or rain.

The Hedgehog
02-24-2008, 10:40 AM
From what I've gathered...seems like the classic is more of a big toy and the ZX has more utility.

Outside of the cuddy and pad space...curious about the comment on the ZX ride being "a little cushier". Is there a BIG difference in the ride of the two boats?

For perspective: My only ride experience in a Donzi is a 16classic. I assume the 22 is significantly different and the boat ****pit is deeper and larger than the 16 or 18.

thanks!

The classic is definately a driver's boat. With bigger power <400hp you probably don't just get in an floor them. They take a little seat time. I have a pretty good bit of time in boats with big power and when I put 350 hp in my 18 it got my attention the first few times out. I have heard the same from others with Classic 22's with the 496 HO. You probably want to hear from those with 22ZX's with 454's. They should ride mid 60's. That should not be a big deal in that hull.

I guess another question would be: "How is the ride is a 2 foot chop?" That seems to be the prevailing weekend conditions at the busier section of Lake Martin.

LKSD
02-24-2008, 11:49 AM
The classic is definately a driver's boat. With bigger power <400hp you probably don't just get in an floor them. They take a little seat time. I have a pretty good bit of time in boats with big power and when I put 350 hp in my 18 it got my attention the first few times out. I have heard the same from others with Classic 22's with the 496 HO. You probably want to hear from those with 22ZX's with 454's. They should ride mid 60's. That should not be a big deal in that hull.
I guess another question would be: "How is the ride is a 2 foot chop?" That seems to be the prevailing weekend conditions at the busier section of Lake Martin.

True.. ;) J

LKSD
02-24-2008, 11:58 AM

Yes this holds some truth.. :)

The 22zx is deeper & if you dont get an old one the step hull will ride a bit smoother. The hull is also a little wider than the classic. The 22c will go thru the same stuff, you just need the nutz to drive it thru if you are in the rough.

For perspective: My only ride experience in a Donzi is a 16classic. I assume the 22 is significantly different and the boat c@ckpit is deeper and larger than the 16 or 18.

thanks!

I have had all of the classics The 22c c@ckpit is a little deeper and is truly only a whisker larger. I have measured all of the classics that I have had because they do look a bit larger each time you step up. Even though the 22c looks much bigger inside the c@ckpit compared to the 18c it is very close to the same size. You do however have more under deck storage in the 22c and the depth makes you feel more secure & gives the feeling of being a little bigger inside. ;)

Again they are all great hulls, but it comes down to your personal prefernce & what you want to do with it. .

:) Jamie / Lakeside

rtgogo
02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
How about the c@ckpit depth of a 22 compared to the 16 (since that's all I've ridden in). The 16 was defintely not the boat for me. I felt too exposed and want some more height in the sidewalls and space between the front seat and bench. Does the interior and seats of the 22 sit you down in the boat more?

Thanks!

LKSD
02-24-2008, 01:48 PM
How about the c@ckpit depth of a 22 compared to the 16 (since that's all I've ridden in). The 16 was defintely not the boat for me. I felt too exposed and want some more height in the sidewalls and space between the front seat and bench. Does the interior and seats of the 22 sit you down in the boat more?

Thanks!

The 22c is definitley deeper & feels much less exposed than an 16 or 18. However if you want the least exposure & the most depth and feel the safest the 22zx would be the one to do that.. One feels more like riding a sport bike & the other like a convertible.. Again both are great boats, but they are different hulls with some different purposes and feels. . ;) Jamie

Dr. Dan
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
:smash:OK...... I agree with most of the above stratements from everybody...but I think what has not beeen discussed about any Classic is its attitude in the water...rough or slight chop...the Classics have a Balance and a Running attitude that is difficult to replicate.

I have a close friend who had a 33ZX, his boat would go through anything...I mean it was a Tank... but after a few rides in mine... he understood the feel, the excitement of being more interactive in a Classic.

A Zx and a Classic might share the same Manufacture Name... but the Rides and Behaviors are dramatically different. Absolutley the Classics are more Sports Car and should not be evaluated as a Day Cruiser...if you want that...your choices are plentiful...if you want a Sundeck and a Porta Potty then stay away from a Classic...you will be miserable.

There is a definitive Cultural Difference between a Classic Owner and a Non Classic Owner... I won't even say a Zx or otherwise... I have ran with enough Big Boats, and Big Donzis... the Classic Owners are about the Classic Boat Expereince...the correctness of the Boat, the Hardware and how the enitre thing transforms itself into a total Cognitive experience when you are running...at any speed.

Ask anyone who has run along side an experienced Classic Driver... the Boats are timeless..... they are a true Drivers Boat...and some more than others.

This is not to take away from the other Donzi's here... I am just offering that for what they are in any size... they(the Classics) are tough to beat. If your needs are more Family oriented...than perhaps a larger Donzi is more appropriate...or many other Manf.'s?

To compare a Classic to a Zx or any other larger Donzi is like comparing a Corvette or a Shelby to a Chrysler 300 Hemi C, both run really strong... but are truly two different games.

Which one do you wanna play? Oh by the way... my friend with the 33ZX... sold it and bought a 22 Classic...now he is a lunatic in his own mind.

Good Luck in the Search... its the fun part.

Doc of the Bay :cool:

SilverBack
02-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Doc,
You have me just about ready to stick a 454 mag in the 25 ZX and sell it and put my new stuff in a 22 Classic. I don't think my family is going to want to spend much time in the ZX anyway!

I know that I like Corvette's better than 300's

The Hedgehog
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Doc,
You have me just about ready to stick a 454 mag in the 25 ZX and sell it and put my new stuff in a 22 Classic. I don't think my family is going to want to spend much time in the ZX anyway!

I know that I like Corvette's better than 300's

You are not allowed to talk here Keith. You won't be cool until you stick that 900hp beast into a classic so you can have that "total cognitive experience!" Then you too can be transformed.

Hmm. I have driven lots of Vette's and a Shelby (and yes 420 hp in a 2,500 lb car is a trip). And a 300. And Classic Donzi's, and ZX's. I am not really sure about the ZX being like a 300.:smash:

When I pulled up in places in my Big ZX I can assure you it had Wayyyy more presence than a 300!

Comparing a 33ZX to a 22 Classic is not exactly apples to apples.

The Hedgehog
02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
And to be muddy the water some more, a number of classic owners have purchased ZX's. Jamie had some classics, restors classics and now has a ZX. I did the same and now have both. Mr X, now he has done both. He has done some classics, a ZX (maybe others, who knows) and is now doing a Classic of all Classics.

SilverBack
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Bill (aka BGZX aka BAZX),

Why can't I say anything?? I know that I have never owned a Classic. But I am on my 3rd Donzi. Dr. Dan didn't mean anything bad I am sure. He is a very COOL dude. He meant to say something like a V-12 Bentley or an Astin Martin I am sure. He just blanked out for a second. Give him a break...he is busy making and shipping the best Donzi logo items on the planet!! He shipped my Donzi cooler and hat just this last week!! That dude is sooo cool he even has cool coolers!!!

I do think I might have to sell the ZX though...I need some serious help and I have an oddball hull. If I had a 22 classic hull I could be getting tons of wonderful advice. Plus if I turn up my boost to 7.5 psi and go over 1,000 HP and take that ZX over 100 it would be no big deal. But if I do it in a Classic they will have a ticker tape parade for me in Donziville and I will feel oh so very important!!!!!

The Hedgehog
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
You kill me! Donzi ticker tape parade. Feeling important! That's great.

No, I am just having a little fun on the ole classic vs ZX debate. It has not happened in a while so I guess that it was high time. This is usually a good one to break out the:popcorn: I was kind of hoping to see some very spirited coments. Got one or two.

I honestly love them both and for different reasons. I don't think I could ever see myself without a classic though. I don't really know how I would react if I had to sell mine. But Heck, parting with the Green ZX was hard too.

Now you be careful out there. It is all fun and games until someone gets wet.

I think that he will end up with a Classic. Just a hunch that's all!

SilverBack
02-24-2008, 11:15 PM
You know that it is true!!!!! It would be downtown Donziville on main street!! It would look like the the Democratic National Convention after Oboma's nomination!!

Dr. Dan
02-25-2008, 06:27 AM
:thumbsup:Listen ...I like all boats forget Donzis...I can find merit in anything that floats....cuz it gets me away from my dailey distractions.

I agree...with Big Green...I am not trying to yank anyones chain, I have seen some very serious Zx and earlier Model Donzis run very strong... I have seen some wicked Black Widows... and some incredibly clean Supercharged Non-Classic Donzis ... Donzigo in Florida has a great ride... and I know Jamie has been involved and ran some quick non-Classic Donzis...

So relax this is not an idictment... it is safe to say the Classics stand on their own, in their own Size and Weight Class. Big Green is correct in that they are not Apples to Apples, yet people ask the question ... all of the time.

Keith... you need to back off the Caffiene Brother... you're starting to remind me of Bryan Tuvell on Speed. I'm kidding with you ... :salute:

Listen the reality is if you like your Boat, your Donzi or whatever...and if you're happy...and it ruuns and is a TurnKey Ride... then hats off to you....

Everyone with the exception of a very few... are always very Happy just to be on the water... and they enjoy their time on the water.

So be safe... maybe take some rides in different style Donzis at an Event before you go and switch hulls....

Whatever the case, it has to be something you and your Family feel comfortable in.... just because a Boat can go 100mph doesn't mean it should! :screwy:

After spending the weekend watching Offshore Race Videos from Freeze Frame.... I can tell you... I will not be looking to boost, repower or Modify my boat any more than it already is... I watched Boats that were designed for Racing, with Thousands of Horsepower, self Destruct, eject Drivers & Co-Pilots at a Blink of an eye, Hulls Hook & Skid across the Water like skipping stones...

So as fun as "Bench Racing" is... as many on this Registry can attest to.... its only fun if no-one gets hurt. Stuff happens too fast, equipt fails, and then it doesn't really matter if you were going over 100mph or if you were doing 30mph, if you're dead or you hurt someone else...

Invest in some good Life Vests, for you and your passengers... wear your Kill Switches... and remember...sometimes less is more.

Doc of Slow Boats :thewave:

Carl C
02-25-2008, 06:41 AM
I don't know of any Classic owners who look down their nose at a zx. One is a sport boat and one is more of a day cruiser. What are your needs?

Cuda
02-25-2008, 06:45 AM
I was pondering the same question a couple years ago, when I was looking for a 22. I sat in one 22Zx, and it felt more like an appliance to me, so I ended up buying a 22C.

rtgogo
02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Remember when you were a kid and rode your first roller coaster? Or how about a few years later when you jumped on your two wheeler and tamed the curves....It's that perma grin that I'm in search of.

that said, I'm still torn. I equate the classic with my old air cooled carrera 4s...the ZX with my CL55. Both are extremely nice but on opposite ends of the spectrum with comfort and ride....

Back to comparing the classic 22 to the smaller versions. I did not like the feel of the 16C. The 22 has got to be worlds different...right?:crossfing:

TBroccoli
02-25-2008, 07:25 AM
I can't believe this has not yet been said. In comparing the 16C with the 22C, "You ride on the 16C and you ride in the 22C."

Tom

Dr. Dan
02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I can't believe this has not yet been said. In comparing the 16C with the 22C, "You ride on the 16C and you ride in the 22C."
Tom

:angel:Tom is correct...that is a very common way to simply describe the differences in the Classics, the 16,18 ride much more on top of the water and almost skip over the waves.... many times I have thought we're gonna stuff it only to just kinda gently spring to the next wave.

The 22's have enough mass where they will stuff and they will plow if you are not going the right speed. All of the Classics are very Trim Sensitive...all of which comes about with "Seat Time", just like anything....

Doc of :popcorn:

The Hedgehog
02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Cuda, It is good to see you back. An appliance, that's pretty good.

Ok, so we are all clear on the apples and oranges thing. And we all love the lines and charisma of a Classic. Heck, if they made a big 27 classic with a single, Tex and I both would have done one of those by now. That is probably why I started in on a more classis paint job on my non-step 27ZX. If you want to go bigger and classic, that gets into older Magnums and Cigs. A number from the site have done those and I might actually do one some day. In the meantime, we have about three mean creations brewing in ZX,ville! And on behalf of the Donzi Nation, we will all go out to slay Baja's, Fountains and other larger "fast" boats in all types of water! We do expect a big parade when we come back.

Keith, the big parade in "Donziville". I almost fell out of my chair on that one. You need to slow down in do it in steps! Ha

Ok, so after talking to Mr Gogo, I am pretty sure that the classic vs ZX debate is mostly over in his mind. He seems comfortable making the kids climb over the lower unit and slide across the hatch. He will keep people with dirty shoes from walking on the deck.

I guess the biggest thing he seems concerned about is the ride. Jamie did a nice comparison and I will probably work off that. Your biggest concern is having the ride of a 16 yet being in a 22. I works something like this: If you sit in a 16 and go sit in a 18, you probably won't notice a huge difference. The same applies to driving one (sort of, and yes I know all about the hook etc). Jamie has mentioned if you sit in a 18 and go sit in a 22, the 22 will not seem much bigger other than the sides being higher and a little more room. There is truth to that. Now if you sit in a 16 and then go sit in a 22, the 22 will seem much bigger. Heck, it will seem almost like a big boat at first but will have all of the handling quirks of a sports car (a good thing if you ask me).

As for the ride, you are looking at a mid 60 mph boat. The hull is very well suited for that speed. Other than trimming, it should not require much input. You should not have to play with the tabs much if any. You are leaning toward a duo prop. That won't torque lean like a single and nothing like a single with big power and a big prop. You should be able to hop in with a wife/kids combo and ride across Lake Martin feeling safe. You will be able to pull skiiers fine and put a few things out of the wind. No, you won't overnight in it, you won't pack in a bunch of gear, you won't have a place to change and if you do get caught in the rain, most will get wet. It seems that you have friends around with other boats that can help out if you need that.

rtgogo
02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Rain will send me to the house...big parties will bring on a pontoon rental....