PDA

View Full Version : 454 vs 350

rtgogo
02-21-2008, 06:49 AM
As I continue to search for my boat, I have questions about the performance of the motors. How much difference is there in a 454 and 350 mag in a 22zx? Any obvious mechanical issues to look out for if it has a whipple?

Thanks!

Barry Eller
02-21-2008, 06:59 AM
How much difference is there in a 454 and 350 mag in a 22zx?

Thanks!

104 cubic inches.:biggrin:

The big blocks are heaver, but produce more torque, and can make more horsepower at lower RPM's.

Donzi used to offer the 22ZX with a BBC, but stopped. I think I read about handling issues with the BBC.

As for the Whipples, check how many hours are on the engine and do a compression and leak down test. You should do that on any engine you buy used that has high hours.

MOP
02-21-2008, 07:09 AM
If you want speed cubes cannot be beat, just remember there will always be someone faster. Pick a goal as to speed then see what it takes to get there, every MPH costs a lot of dollars. These hulls require a lot of seat time to master going fast with a big block, also how large are your gonnads?

Phil

The Hedgehog
02-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I am kind of partial to blowers myself if they are set up right.

I would echo Phil's comment about the cost and gonads. 22ZX with a whipple will FLY. I consider that to be a good thing. You will need some seat time in the boat but you can lay off the full throttle runs as you get that.

You would be able to dust your friend's Cobalt like he is going backwards!