PDA

View Full Version : What do u think of this sweet sixteen?

thealiffs
02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I am thinking of purchasing this boat. I have never owned a boat before. Was wanting a classic 22 but they are out of my price range. Can anyone help me with comments or suggestions about this boat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BEAUTIFUL-16-DONZI-SWEET-16-MERCRUISER-4-3-ALPHA-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ180216519866QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m180216519866

Lenny
02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
The price seems reasonable, it has Merc Power :D , and is the first year of American Marine Holdings owning DONZI once again (from OMC) . PERSONALLY, I do not like the wrap around seating and would PREFER the standard 2 + 3 layout. The portside passenger (in this case) will have a H E L L of a time staying anywheres near the dash and inevitably (rather quickly) end up in the back seat on someone else.

Just my $.02.

RedDog
02-20-2008, 09:15 AM
It should make a great first boat. Sounds like it is a "turn-key" boat that shouldn't give you any problems.

Good on fuel and decent speed. This would be much easier to tow using a smaller vehicle than a 22 (but I love the 22).

The seating arrangement is just a preference thing. You and your riders may like it just fine. The wrap around seems to give a little more coc_kpit space.

Tony
02-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I love the wrap-around seating. Of course...I was at the helm about 99% of the time I owned the boat! But I have witnessed competent passengers, my son for instance, ride that bench seat like a rodeo star. The grab-handles are just that, and the floor is so low that you are distributing weight very comfortably between four points, five of course...counting your asse!

Another rider can do the same in the center of the rear seat. Four total and it gets a tad crowded at speed. Remember, at 60+ with no tabs, prop thrust, helmet slop, and chine walk...my boat had some hops! Mine, and several other select vintage Ski Sporters, are examples of Don Aronow's greatest creation...the very definition of "thrill-ride extraordinaire", and small-boat perfection!

My wife enjoyed riding in the aft starboard position, and put her legs up and towards the bow...very comfortable. That was good for many cruise conditions, but just not for the upper speed quadrant. When she wanted less wind she would shift up front and naturally fit right under our windshield. The helm seat swivels and is ideal for co(c)ktails and snacks. Cherrie and I have had many outstanding hours of 40 - 45 mph runs in perfect water. Speaking of windshields (do I fockin' dare?), I loved mine...the look and the effectiveness!

Regarding the '94, here is my opinion. Any 16' is a blast, especially the strong ones. The hole shot, responsive throttle, and fun factor are unparalled. They are, however, limited to certain water. After never really having one, my wife really appreciates her "captain's chair" in our 22'.

:beer:

smbarcelow
02-21-2008, 11:55 AM
The Sixteen is a fun boat, but it feels very small at speed with a few people aboard. We just bought a 1977 version with a 350 last fall and it's a blast. For our small family of three, it's adequately sized for now.

Newby
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I have the exact same boat that is a 1990. It is my first Donzi. From the perspective of handling, it is the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel. It is fast and nimble in the right conditions. Since you say this is your first boat, you need to take it out for a sea trial and make sure it is what you want. My little kids like our second boat more because it has more freeboard and is more stable in rougher conditions. Good Luck.

Lenny
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Lenny, it was actually a 2 & 2 unless your some skinny lil.., err, oh wait, you are :eek: :eek: ;)

GGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,, :mad:

Oh, hang on, you're right :D