PDA

View Full Version : Kona - By Special Request

TXDONZI
02-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Here are a couple of shots from a few years ago. I am gathering the remaining parts to install a BBF in it coupled to the Volvo Penta 280T drive. I have a spare shaft in preperation of snapping it.

34326 34327 34328

f_inscreenname
02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm running a BBC with a Frankenstein’ed Volvo 270/280T. No worries about the drive and you should not either until you hit around 550hp.:wink:

TXDONZI
02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Thats good to know, I am thinking the engine I have at the time is around 425-450hp its a 10:1 429 w/forged TRW SCJ repplacement flat tops. I built the 1970 429 DOVE-A block, DOVE-C heads with a Ford Motorsports repalcement CJ spec. hyd. cam, a Holley 750 Vac. Sec. carb. right out of the box. Rebuilt the 70 C6 and put headers on it. In a full trim 79 SWB F-100 full AC and truck ignition. It ran high 12.90's on pump gas with a 275 single track 9" that broke on the 5th pass. On the last pass the rearend locked up and the truck pulled to front tires on a big set of BFG T/A raidials.

I may spring for a set of aluminum heads with BBC exhaust bolt pattern so I can run BBC manifolds or headers. The adaptors to run BBC exhaust would come close to half a good set of used heads, the manifolds I am sure would be quite a bit cheaper. I have seen a timing cover the allows a cam driven water pump and will use a crank driven alternator. Pretty much setup like a v drive.

MOP
02-24-2008, 09:00 PM
The drive is pretty sturdy and will hold a bunch of HP, make sure you have the slide on the carb to allow the throttle cable to delay giving any gas until the drive fully engages. There should be -0- thump when you put the drive into gear. I doubt very much that you will damage a shaft, the sacrificial coupler between the upper and lower will let go first. use a good syn oil such as Red Line. I am out of the US right now but can help with questions when I get back state side.

Phil