PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes work doesn't suck

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Some days you have to put up with subs that don't show up and when they do the job is crap.

The boss throwing impossible deadlines at you.

Emplyee's who can't speak enough english to tell you want they need to do the job.

Parts that don't arrive.

Etc, etc.

Then some days, you find you have to take a client's 59 foot Marquis out and bash it around in open water for a while because he insists he's got a leak that only occurs when underway.

OK pal, it's your nickle (and fuel - I was burning around 65 gph during most of this run for about 2 hours)

Let's preview our trip this afternoon, shall we? We'll start on the Oakland estuary then head out the gate to the potato patch where we'll cruise around looking for some bigger water, then head back to the office.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
I should appolgize up front for the pictures. I was shooting one handed through the boat's windshield, so they're not going to win any awards. It's also a little overcast today.

Heading out across the bay, we pass Alcatraz then head for the gate. There's always a few freighters moving around, and usually some pleasure boats getting in their way.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
And of course this is San Francisco, so you have to watch out for the ferries....

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:23 PM
No shots of the potato patch - it was way too calm out to find any real water anyway. The bar was running about 6' at 13 seconds. When I got out to the patch, I found a few 8' and maybe one or two 10', but that was about it.

Why is it when you actually want something a little rough you get nothing?? :smash:

Carl C
02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
:nilly:Sooooooooo, did you 'member to check the bilge for water?:doh:

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Time to head back to the bay

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Just to give you an idea of where we are in the above pics. If you were to draw a line down from the N-UP at the bottom of the plotter you'd be more or less in the area we had just been running around in.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Under the gate and approaching Alcatraz

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Alcatraz as seen from the inlet

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Looking out to starboard, we have the city

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:38 PM
And a few die-hard types out paddling through the shipping lanes on an outgoing tide of about 2 knots:eek!:

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
To port we have Treasure Island

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
And straight ahead we go under the Bay Bridge heading for the estuary

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
At the mouth of the estuary we get to dodge another freighter. Not a lot of room here - this is sort of the 50 yard line of the bay for commercial and recreational boating. At least there weren't any tugs laying up against him - those guys get a little testy about wake when they're up against a ship.

hardcrab
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
:nilly:Sooooooooo, did you 'member to check the bilge for water?:doh:
Well ............ ?

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Further up the estuary is Bay Ship and Yacht, where I have my next boat hauled out for survey.:eek!:

(OK, maybe not)

gcarter
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Looks like a super fun day.
Were you able to help your customer?

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Then there was this thing. I think it's a bluewater; around 50'. Basically, a v-hulled houseboat.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...
At least it should have a lot of room inside

Ed Donnelly
02-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Yah; Looks like a tough job.
But, someone has to do it:wink:............Ed

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Then back to the palacial D'Anna Yacht Center home marina!

FWIW, the boat on the nearest end-tie is the same thing we're shooting pics from today.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
1- see, I told you guys on the other thread I had a couple hydro-hoists down here. The blue Four Winns is a 28' on a 10,000 lb lift. Just bhind it you can sort of make out a 5000 lb lift holding nothing but a couple dinghies.

2- just got a new marquis 50 in and stuffed it into an inside slip. No problem; it's a small 50. Now on the other hand, I've been known to put boats 12' longer up there. THAT'S a problem! Don't try this at home kids, unless it's a windless day and you've got a spotter to watch the swim platform for you!

zelatore
02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
That concludes our tour of SF Bay. Please remain seated until the boat has come to a complete stop.

Seriously, not a bad way to spend the afternoon. Of couse, everybody thinks this is what I do all day, every day. I wish! If only I could figure out how to get rid of the 'manager' part of 'service manager', maybe I could! :hangum:

If you're wondering why I went to the trouble to upload a bunch of crappy pictures, well it's because after work I have to go down to my own Carver and replace a pump on the head. I'm pretty much looking for any excuse not to start that project. :doh:

zelatore
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM
To answer a few questions-

First, I don't have to check the bilge. I'm driven' the boat! That's why I have techs!

Before heading out we had found a leak above the pilot house windshield. When the boats are assembled here, this is the break point between the flybridge and the lower structure, and the 59 is the worst boat we deal with to put together so this was a good place to look. We suspected that water was entereing up here then making it's way to the bilge and ending up at the back of the boat when underway. The boat had just came back from Mexico, so he was in some pretty rough stuff around Pt. Conception and really had the spray flying. My man checked the bilge a few times while under way (yes, he was wearing ear protection, a couple D12's turning over at 2100 rpm are loud!) and didn't turn up any new water. Although he did turn up a crack in the port engine fiberglass exhaust tube that was seeping salt water. And if it's leaking water, it's leaking CO as well. Granted, it's an electronicly controled diesel, so it's not big on CO, but that's a major red light. Parts are ordered...Hopefully it will be fixed by the end of the week.

There wasn't any big water to really test the boat, but by triming the bow down and blasting into the waves at 25 knots I was able to get plenty of spray flying. We feel pretty good that we've got the leak fixed. Of couse, we pretty much suspected that from hose testing before but the owner wanted a sea trial, so that's what he got. Nice guy, actually. One of my better clients to deal with.

I guess I'd better suck it up now and get to work on that head before the girlfriend gets here for the night.... :doh:

Donzi Vol
02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Is your boss taking applications????

zelatore
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I googled the yachts hauled at Bay Ship - here's what I came up with:

Pangaea is the boat in the front
http://www.yachtpangaea.com/specs.html

Ulysses is the boat further back
http://www.fmca.com.au/ulysses.asp

Seems I still don't want to work on that head. But I'd better get to it I guess, she just called to say she's on the way!

Donzi Vol, yes, I could use another tech with good troubleshooting skills and familiarity with general yacht systems (AC, DC, HVAC, plumbing, rigging, electronics, must be able to work with little documentation, etc). I'm also looking for salesmen. But trust me when I say you don't want to work for my owner!

zelatore
02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I like Pangaea's toy list.

2x Sea Doo Fourtech 4-stroke;
2x Sea Doo RXDI;
26’ Nautica with twin 240 hp Yanmar diesels and Hamilton jets;
19’ Nautica with 240 hp Yanmar diesel and Hamilton jet
36-foot Predator sportfishing boat with 2x 440 hp Yanmar diesels and 400 nm range, full tuna tower, Pompanette fighting chair, queen berth, air conditioning, TV-VCR, stereo, microwave, refrigerator, freezer, icemaker, full head and shower, plus extensive tournament sportfishing gear

Keep in mind, my personal 'big' boat is a 32 Carver. I carry a 10' RIB as a tender. They've got a 36' sport fisher as a tender.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 09:48 PM
OK, really, this time I'm going to leave the office and get to work on the boat! Really!

:hangum:

Donzi Vol
02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Donzi Vol, yes, I could use another tech with good troubleshooting skills and familiarity with general yacht systems (AC, DC, HVAC, plumbing, rigging, electronics, must be able to work with little documentation, etc). I'm also looking for salesmen. But trust me when I say you don't want to work for my owner!

Haha. Sounds similar a boss I've had in the past. I currently sell food (wholesale to restaurants, etc.), but I'm sure I could figure out a way to talk people into buying a boat. If I ever wind up leaving TN I'll give you a shout for sure.

Carl C
02-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pics of your tour of the SF Bay area. I really enjoyed them. There are better pics around but this is real life boating on the Pacific Ocean in February and that's very cool.:cool: The Alcatraz pics are touching. Imagine doing hard time there; Being able to see the city and the boats and ships; To be so close to freedom yet so far away:garfield:. The Golden Gate bridge is spectacular even on a cloudy winter day. The ship in post #2 is named the "Polar Adventure"! :alligator

Tidbart
02-20-2008, 08:39 AM
And of course this is San Francisco, so you have to watch out for the ferries....

Nicely put! LMAO

B

zelatore
02-20-2008, 10:05 AM
The Polar Adventure is a semi-regular. I've seen her around before, but I never paid much attention to exact comings and goings.

Despite the weather looking really sad, it wan't that bad. The bar was about as calm as it gets - something like 6-8' at around 13-15 seconds. I ran out to a notoriously rough area looking for some water and couldn't find anything big. I ended up triming the bow way down and plowing into what I could find just to get some spray flying. It was overcast, but it wasn't raining and the temp was in the mid-50's.

I'm heading out about 5-6 miles tomorrow in a 35' Albin for an off-shore delivery. I'll be taking pics to document the the transfer, but it's supposed to be raining so no telling if I'll get anything worth posting.

And I thought somebody would like the shot of the Ferries. It was too easy. :)