PDA

View Full Version : Engine Comparison...Need Advise

rtgogo
02-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm back on the hunt for a 22 classic. Found two that I'm considering. Need your comments on the engines. One's a volvo? and the other is a rebuilt Merc 454. Please help, need to know good and bad for each so I can squeeze the trigger. Thanks!

RedDog
02-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm back on the hunt for a 22 classic. Found two that I'm considering. Need your comments on the engines. One's a volvo? and the other is a rebuilt Merc 454. Please help, need to know good and bad for each so I can squeeze the trigger. Thanks!

The Volvo is the same block as the Merc 454, i.e., a General Motors 454. Why was the Merc re-built? Is the rest in good shape? How many hours are on the Volvo?

A better question may be what is hanging off of the stern. I assume a Merc Bravo and a Volvo Penta. Tony on this board has the only 22 with a Volvo Penta that I know of and he really likes it.

MOP
02-18-2008, 10:07 AM
The 454 being the same is true to a point, Volvo, Crusader to name a few only used 4 bolt blocks where as Merc depending on the HP used both 2 + 4 bolt blocks. Many say we really don't need 4 bolt as we do not spin them high enough, but I still would rather have 4 then 2. That Volvo package is some tough, I would rather have that then my Bravo.

Phil

rtgogo
02-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Boats are both in very good cosmetic condition. The one with the Merc has a Bravo 1 outdrive with stainless steel drive cooler. The Volvo has the duo prop on it. They are both late 90's (96-97) boats. The hull of the one with the merc has been re-painted with imron and the Volvo looks to be original gel.

The Hedgehog
02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
What do you want to do to them? Any mods?

rtgogo
02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm lookin for a turn key boat. Too many other projects in the garage with no available time.

BigGreen...congrats on the ZX sale!

The Hedgehog
02-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks Robert. The big ZX will be missed. It provided numerous days of big fun. Somehow I think that it will continue to do just that. I am pretty sure that Mike will take care of it and it won't be one of those poor neglected boats you see sitting out.

We could embark on a long discussion:popcorn: about the merits of both setups on that 22 you are considering. Volvo and Merc both build a great product. If you are going to leave them relatively stock either should be good to go. If you want to make a screamer out of it years down the road, the Merc will be easier to modify (steering will be cheaper, can do a shorty etc).

Now if you want to start a big discussion, we can get on the whole single vs duo prop thing!:popcorn: On performance boats I am partial to a single.

Ed Donnelly
02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Rebuit engine, painted hull, as oppossed to original gell hull,
Volvo drive.

Volvo gets my vote, if all else is equal...................Ed

Morgan's Cloud
02-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Out of curiousity can you identify exactly which DP drive it has ?
Wonder if it could be another DP/X ?

MOP
02-18-2008, 01:28 PM
The Volvo may be the same setup as Tony's if so the drive will handle 600HP and it has hydraulic steering as part of the transom assy. Pretty unbeatable package, out of the box they are faster then the same HP Bravo setup.

Phil

rtgogo
02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Let me know your thoughts on each of these...Love and hate details about both....what do you think?

Pictures of the repainted and rebuilt black one are attached. The blue one is on ebay Item number: 220202967250 (sorry I couldn't get the link upload to work)

MOP
02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
The blue one has the new composite drive, so far they are proving to be ballistic, this has turned into a no contest. A mint blue against a rebuilt black that is a "NO BRAINER"!

link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&category=31271&sspagename=WDVW&viewitem=&item=220202967250&rd=1

The Hedgehog
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Be careful. The blue one has a popup light and a bimini top!:smash: People might laugh at you! And the subs in the floor, what happens if you hit a wave and your foot goes through one? That could prove to be a problem when riding around Lake Martin!

:popcorn:

rtgogo
02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
The woofers really pain me...I'm with ya...hate that happened, but like the pop-up cleats and light... The bimini will get applauds from the she boss and lil men.

The Hedgehog
02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
The woofers really pain me...I'm with ya...hate that happened, but like the pop-up cleats and light... The bimini will get applauds from the she boss and lil men.

I agree about the woofers. Ouch. I am cool with the light though. I put one on my X 18. I think it looks sharp. I am just re-living a funny story.

p729lws
02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd take the factory EFI motor over the rebuilt carb motor all day long unless I knew who did the motor work on the rebuild.

Dan