PDA

View Full Version : Station Nightclub Fire

DonziJon
02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm from Rhode Island so I'm an observer of what goes on in this neck of the woods. Some of you may have heard about the fire that occured here 5 years ago...this coming Wednesday. It made national news at the time. 100 people were burned to death and 200+ more were greviously injured.

Today my wife and I drove by the site......it's been a "makeshift" memorial ever since. She hadn't seen the site before. There were..."functions" about to transpire at the site as we drove by.... to commemerate the event.

What caught my attention was the size of the footprint that the nightclub building took up. My estimate would be 75 feet wide across the front and maybe 40 feet deep.

It is estimated that there were 400+ people inside the building....a bar,...a kitchen, a stage, and tables....in about 3,000 square feet of floor space.

The fire started when the band.... "Great White" ..began their show with Pyrotechnics. The building went up in seconds.

The entire lot including parking was maybe 120x120.

There must be a lesson here somewhere. :confused: John

Carl C
02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
That was really horrible. There was video of it and the foam soundproofing went up fast. People thought it was part of the show at first. Terrible to think about that again; Has it been 5 years already?:(

wannabe
02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Wow, It has been five years already !!!! That was national news. Unfortunately, the most fun I ever had in bars during my younger years was in overcrowded establishments.

chappy
02-17-2008, 08:03 PM
I remember that well. At the time, I worked in a night club that holds 800+. The very next morning the owner had me go through the whole building looking at curtains, fire exits, and extinguishers. As John said there has to be a lesson there. It made us far more aware of our nightclub and emergency planning.

DonziJon
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
There were three people charged with 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter. The owners of the nightclub were brothers Michael Derderian and Jeffrey Derderian.

Daniel M. Biechele was the band manager who lighted the Pyro for "Great White".

Michael Dederian and Biechele were given 4 year sentences but will be paroled before their term expires. Jeffrey Derderian recieved a suspended sentence and served 500 hours community service.

The "Fire Inspector", who passed the building two weeks before the fire is protected by statute from any liabilty. He retired two weeks ago. Who can figure?