PDA

View Full Version : Lazy P Ranch update

Donziweasel
02-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Well, first, we are behind schedule. The main house plans are done, but the guest cabin and shop are not. Guest cabin is about half way done, but shop isn't even started. Next, we have to have them all engineered. Then, have to get our permits, which in Teton County is a nightmare I have heard. I think if we break ground by June 1, we will be lucky.

On a positive note, we have chosen a contractor. There contract has a few items in it I do not like. Maybe some of you can help me out here. It says I can not come on the property while it is under construction till 4:00 P.M. eveyday. I am going to tell them to bite me on this one. Also, allowances are a little low. For appliances, they have 4,000.00. This encompasses a range, oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher, and microwave. They want cost + 20% for anything over that. Just some other stuff like that. Also, for helping with the permit process, they want cost + 20%. I have to do the engineering. Big project and it definetly has some big headaches that go with it. Hopefully it will all be worth it and some of you can come stay as our guests (although I will not have a guest Donzi, so bring your own:wink:)

justleft
02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
What no fridge ! $4000 sounds real cheap.
Crap I have half that into my Genair stove.
A stainless vent hood can run a grand easy.

Ok if you are responsible for engineering, who is responsible if inspections fail ?
Is there some point where the contractor takes ownership of the design ?
Otherwise I can see the contractor saying it's your engineering and not his problem.

Been there !!!

22billyzx
02-17-2008, 01:21 PM
the enginering thing should be a team effort between you and the contractor in my opinion. the appliance thing sounds way too cheap,but is probably nickel-dime in the big scheme of things. i agree about not being on the job site untill after 4pm. maybe hes had some bad experiences with home owners asking the subs questions. but with a project this size i would hope he understands that this is your dream home,and not just another job site

yeller
02-17-2008, 04:19 PM
It says I can not come on the property while it is under construction till 4:00 P.M. eveydayYes, definately nix this clause. Just because he's a contractor doesn't mean he'll do everything proper. You have to watch these guys like a hawk.

mjw930
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
There's a lot about the contract as you've described it that sounds wrong.

The 4:00 thing, screw that, you own the property. I understand why they do that but unless you become a pest then usually there's no problems. Having that in the contract sounds like they expect to have problems or they have something to hide because "inspections" only check to see if things meet minimum standards, not the specification in your design.

The allowances should be negotiable and YOU should be able to increase ANY of them and demand a full accounting of how they are spent. Most contractors down here have agreements with local appliance stores and I was able to get everything at "contractor" prices which were better than the best "street" prices I was able to find. I don't have as lavish a property as you and we blew through $7000 in appliances and we only went with top end Kitchen Aid. If your tastes run towards Tec, Wolf or Sub Zero then your $4k won't even buy the fridge. Demanding a 20% markup on allowances is total BS, DON'T PAY IT!

Permitting should be bundled into the cost, they know EXACTLY what it will cost, they do this for a living.

Having you do the engineering is a HUGE red light for me. That tells me they are already looking for a way to jack the price by placing change order charges on you when something that was engineered has to be modified durring construction.

Based on what you said I wouldn't hire this contractor. If you are financing the construction process I think you'll find that many of their clauses are not acceptable to the bank. The bank will not advance profit prior to the end of the contract. 20% over cost on permitting is something the bank simply will not pay. Engineering responsibility tied to the owner / bank and not the contractor / builder is also something I think a bank would refuse to underwrite.

Sorry to throw cold water on this but either they do things a lot different up there or you need to shop around a bit more.