PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 Manufacturer Poll

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 10:50 AM
One more poll, which manufacturer will win? Just curious for those who might not have a favorite driver. Will Toyota pull off an upset with Waltrip? Will Chevy continue to dominate? Does Buiz wish Buick was still in Nascar (hmm, this might make an interesting poll itself)? Will Ford (and Rousch) get it's program back on track? Will Dodge finally get one? Going with Chevy, but the Dodge's have been quietly doing ok this week.

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Much like my driver vote, I might have voted too quickly for Chevy after Toyotas dominance in the 300 today. Stewart and Busch in Toyotas won first and second.

hardcrab
02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree the Toyotas are competative this year , but the cup cars with the COT aero is a much different package than the "nationwide" series cars.
No drafting like before and it's a longer race. It's gonna be interesting.

Donziweasel
02-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I agree it is a totally different setup, but Toyota is supposedly making big hp in their Sprint Cars. Seems that in the poll, Toyota is on top.

BUIZILLA
02-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Seems that in the poll, Toyota is on top. don't tell Todd that.. :wink: :popcorn:

hardcrab
02-17-2008, 11:14 AM
When Toyota came to NASCAR via the Craftsman truck series, their engines dominated right out the gate. Toyota followed all the guidelines for engine setup and specs but were producing much more HP. They beat the "domestic" mfgs. at their own game.
Now they've entered the stock car series and NASCAR had tweeked the toyota engine specs to keep all the mfgs. in line. This is why their poor performance in the previous seasons.The engines are now back to the truck series specs and are running how they would have all along if NASCAR didn't keep changing the rules on every whim.
That said, I have never owned anything other than GMC.

Donziweasel
02-17-2008, 11:55 AM
:hangum:Never owned anything but a Ford. Kasey Kahne said it yesterday that the Yota's were producing the most horsepower. He actually seemed pissed. Said that in the 300, no other manufacturer had a chance due to the ponies the Yota's are kicking out. It will be interesting to see if Hendricks horse power is a match in Sprint. Also be interesting to see how the Childress drivers do with the new relationship with DEI and the new combined engine program. Looking outside at feet of snow, I should be in Daytona. Went about 6 years ago and it was a nice winter break. Might get to Vegas this year, but these western races (both California races and Vegas) are simply not the down to earth races in the Southeast. Everyone wears Kakahis, Collard shirts and loafers. They all need to go to Talladega one time to see what real Nascar racing is all about. It is kinda bizzare as I grew up in Atlanta and went to Atlanta, Darlington, Dega, Daytona, Charlotte, Bristol and Richmond ( even went to North Wilksboro and Rockingham back when they were on the schedule) all the time. When I went to the inaugrial Vegas race and saw all the collard shirts, kahkis, loafers and well behaved people, I knew I wasn't in ATL anymore! Hell, no one ever yelled a little and cheered. Still, Vegas is a pretty fun place to see a race, busy weekend of the year for Vegas. California just plain sucks. They can't even get close to a sellout. Californians DO NOT get Nascar and the racing on that track is about as boring as the body work on my bronco.

hardcrab
02-17-2008, 12:27 PM
This will be my 10th consecutive year for the spring race in Talladega. Had the same seats in the tri-oval tower ever since.
Been going to races since 1982 at Dover (an hour drive for me) Pocono , Richmond (a beautiful track) Chalotte, Atlanta ,Daytona (500 & the July race) North Wilksboro (RIP), the coolest time was when I drove my '36 chevy around Indianapolis Motor Speedway (streetrod event, not race related)

MOP
02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a hunch Dodge will make a good show, they may not win but the new 5.7 has excellent potential which I bet they are massaging to do its best. I read an article in one of the motor mags where they found about 60HP just taking it apart doing some porting and some other things, no parts changes were involved. They say it may be the king small block of the future, but for how long.
I love my Chevies, they were the first OHV 8 they started back in 1917, they were built for 2 more years then rumored scrapped due to poor mileage.

Donziweasel
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Nice call MOP, 6 out of the top 8 were Dodges, with Dodge also placing 1st and 2nd.